The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Where should I go? Durham, Bath or Bristol

Hello,

I hold offers from all three universities for economics and I am unsure which of the two universities I should choose as my firm and insurance. I like all three schools equally enough that I cannot decide. However, one thing I am unsure about is how strong graduate prospects are for each of the universities (for investment banking). I know that they are all semi-targets but is there any significant difference between the three?

Thank you in advance.
To be honest, I don’t think there’s a huge difference. They’re all very good and have the same entrance requirements and employers will see them that way. Bath isn’t Russell Group but still has a really good reputation. I really liked the University (although the open day economics talk wasn’t hugely inspirational, as some others were) and the College system. I received an offer from Durham but didn’t apply to either Bath or Bristol; but know lots of people who like Bristol. I would have loved to make Durham my insurance choice but can’t really.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Hethwin
Hello,

I hold offers from all three universities for economics and I am unsure which of the two universities I should choose as my firm and insurance. I like all three schools equally enough that I cannot decide. However, one thing I am unsure about is how strong graduate prospects are for each of the universities (for investment banking). I know that they are all semi-targets but is there any significant difference between the three?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

I can't answer on behalf of Durham or Bristol, but through taking International Development with Economics I do have experience with Bath's economics department and the university generally.

Firstly, graduate prospects at Bath are generally ranked highly. Although it is from 2016, here are the graduate destinations for economics which might give you an idea of where students actually end up!

In my personal experience, the minor in economics that I study has really enabled me to apply to a wider range of internships. The university itself is great, very scenic and everyone is very welcoming and friendly. If you have any specific queries about Bath, feel free to quote me. I'm more than happy to find the answer to any economics-specific questions you have also.

Hollie
BSc International Development with Economics
Think about what city you prefer if you can't decide - Bath is very boring however you can just get a bus to Bristol (I live on the outskirts of Bristol and there is a bus stop outside my house that goes to Bath). Bristol has a better nightlife. I've no idea about bath or durham, but bristol is relatively expensive (obviously nothing compared to London).
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm facing the exact same dilemma as you. I'd go to Duham except their degree is a BA instead of BSc, which isn't as good for IB.

Quick Reply

Latest