The Student Room Group

Uni for investment banking

I have gotten my A level results back and I got Maths (A), Econ (A) and Business (B). I didn't apply to uni in year 12 as I was predicted an E in maths. I'm hoping to go into investment banking and understand that i need a degree to do this (I'm also applying for degree apprenticeships but with my grades its unlikely). Could you possible recommend a course from a uni that will give me a competitive application when it comes to internships, grad programs, ect. I'm currently looking at Durhams Finance BSc as the entry requirements are AAB, is Durham a good uni for finance? Also is there anything else I could do during my gap year that would improve my application and overall employability. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by dnielslfj
I have gotten my A level results back and I got Maths (A), Econ (A) and Business (B). I didn't apply to uni in year 12 as I was predicted an E in maths. I'm hoping to go into investment banking and understand that i need a degree to do this (I'm also applying for degree apprenticeships but with my grades its unlikely). Could you possible recommend a course from a uni that will give me a competitive application when it comes to internships, grad programs, ect. I'm currently looking at Durhams Finance BSc as the entry requirements are AAB, is Durham a good uni for finance? Also is there anything else I could do during my gap year that would improve my application and overall employability. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Durham is good for finance just make sure you do internships and I believe it is a semi-target. But FYI for IB finance can be somewhat be looked down on as a poor mans economics. AAB is also on the bottom end of Alevel requirement but are still good . I am an IB recruiter atm
Reply 2
Original post by sami1815
Durham is good for finance just make sure you do internships and I believe it is a semi-target. But FYI for IB finance can be somewhat be looked down on as a poor mans economics. AAB is also on the bottom end of Alevel requirement but are still good . I am an IB recruiter atm

Yeah but i cant do economics at a good uni because the grade requirements are too high. Do you have any advice of what I could do in my gap year to improve my chances?
Yeah but i cant do economics at a good uni because the grade requirements are too high. Do you have any advice of what I could do in my gap year to improve my chances?

I would honestly retake my alevels and try go for econ, you’ve gotten As in the hard subjects so smash business and get an A/A*. Otherwise just try to go to as many insight days as possible and when at uni really go for internships.
Reply 4

As an IB recruiter, is it true that you are far more fussy about the uni rather that the degree subject i.e going to oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham etc takes precedence over if you have done say Econ, Maths etc? Would you for example consider someone doing a social science degree like Geography or Philosophy from Cambridge?
Reply 5
I would honestly retake my alevels and try go for econ, you’ve gotten As in the hard subjects so smash business and get an A/A*. Otherwise just try to go to as many insight days as possible and when at uni really go for internships.

The thing is I would rather do finance than economics tbh. Also on Durhams economic course it says they don't accept application where someone has studied both economics and business as they are considered overlapping subjects... Do you think a first class finance BSC from Durham would really hold someone back that much compared to doing an economics degree?? Problem is its a very new course and so there isn't really the data
Original post by lalexm
As an IB recruiter, is it true that you are far more fussy about the uni rather that the degree subject i.e going to oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham etc takes precedence over if you have done say Econ, Maths etc? Would you for example consider someone doing a social science degree like Geography or Philosophy from Cambridge?

I would say so long as the uni is in the top 10/20 what you study and do at uni is more important than brand name alone. Unless the geography degree holder at Oxford did a lot of relevant internships and has strong analytical A Level subjects, the person who goes to a lower ranked but still good uni is better off if they have the internships and are doing a rigorous course.

For example doing Maths/ Econ/ Engineering at Bath/Bristol/Warwick you would be better off than someone at Oxford doing geography without the relevant internships. I would also say banks increasingly look at levels to differentiate between candidates for example, someone with A*AA at Nottingham is not less intelligent than someone with AAB at UCL, Durham or Warwick for instance. Bank nowadays understand that the top talent at the top 10/20 unis are somewhat similair. I would rather do maths at Exeter with A*AA than finance at Durham with AAB if I wanted to get into IB.

I would also say what is probably more important than brand name alone, ( providing you still attend a top/good uni) is doing internships. you can go to Oxford and even do a hard subject but if you fail to get onto relevant internships the person at UCL/ Imperial would be better off than you. This point may even extend further to semi-targets like exter, bristol, Nottingham.
(edited 8 months ago)
The thing is I would rather do finance than economics tbh. Also on Durhams economic course it says they don't accept application where someone has studied both economics and business as they are considered overlapping subjects... Do you think a first class finance BSC from Durham would really hold someone back that much compared to doing an economics degree?? Problem is its a very new course and so there isn't really the data

If you get a first you should be fine, also providing you get onto the right internships you will be fine. I just often find banks are looking for intelligence not just brand name, someone with better Alevels doing a harder subject at even a lower uni would likely be more competitive. IE Durham Finance would not be better than Bath Econ for example.
Reply 8
I would say so long as the uni is in the top 10/20 what you study and do at uni is more important than brand name alone. Unless the geography degree holder at Oxford did a lot of relevant internships and has strong analytical A Level subjects, the person who goes to a lower ranked but still good uni is better off if they have the internships and are doing a rigorous course.

For example doing Maths/ Econ/ Engineering at Bath/Bristol/Warwick you would be better off than someone at Oxford doing geography without the relevant internships. I would also say banks increasingly look at levels to differentiate between candidates for example, someone with A*AA at Nottingham is not less intelligent than someone with AAB at UCL, Durham or Warwick for instance. Bank nowadays understand that the top talent at the top 10/20 unis are somewhat similair. I would rather do maths at Exeter with A*AA than finance at Durham with AAB if I wanted to get into IB.

I would also say what is probably more important than brand name alone, ( providing you still attend a top/good uni) is doing internships. you can go to Oxford and even do a hard subject but if you fail to get onto relevant internships the person at UCL/ Imperial would be better off than you. This point may even extend further to semi-targets like exter, bristol, Nottingham.

Okay, many thanks for the detailed response. I knew that doing internships was absolutely key, but another IB recruiter on TSR seemed to suggest that employers were more interested in the uni than the degree subject, since the banks tends to teach you the required job knowledge anyway. I think that was a year or so ago when I read that, so perhaps things have changed a little since then, or that recruiter had a slightly different view.
Original post by lalexm
Okay, many thanks for the detailed response. I knew that doing internships was absolutely key, but another IB recruiter on TSR seemed to suggest that employers were more interested in the uni than the degree subject, since the banks tends to teach you the required job knowledge anyway. I think that was a year or so ago when I read that, so perhaps things have changed a little since then, or that recruiter had a slightly different view.

It varies by the bank, smaller banks can be a bit snobbish but in my experience especially at the largest banks they’re just looking for smart candidates, their hiring processes are so long and difficult that you have to be exceptional to get through them. I would say internships are the most important thing

Hi - Is a Economics with accounting/finance looked down in such a way or is it seen as more employable as the in a job market as the
accounting and finance has real life utility?

Thanks
Original post by wsaddfafsd
Hi - Is a Economics with accounting/finance looked down in such a way or is it seen as more employable as the in a job market as the
accounting and finance has real life utility?

Thanks

It has utility and it’s probably more impressive considering you’re doing it with econ.
It has utility and it’s probably more impressive considering you’re doing it with econ.

Hi, been a while but I have a quick question if you don't mind?

Would you say it's better to do BSc Economics at Manchester or BSc Economics and/with (Finance/Management) or Possibly even BSc Finance at Bristol for IB or similar?
Reason I ask is although I have the grades I don't think I'll get an offer for the Bristol course (same requirements as Manchester) and want to know if there is much point in struggling to get to Bristol or to accept the Manchester choice.

Also failing to get an offer from Bristol would leave me doing an Accounting and Finance course (At Bath/Bristol) which I think is worse than the Economics at Manchester?
Thank you
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by username3901016

Hi there, I am went to reading yesterday for their open day and I looked at their economics and finance course. I really liked both the university and the course. How much harder is it to get into IB from going somewhere like reading??

In old money Durham would be a “semi-target”

Generally the most targeted institutions for IBD are: Oxbridge, lse, warwick, imp & ucl (+ UCD/insead/ivy league etc.). Then after that you have tier of other strong institutions like Durham, Edinburgh, Notts, Exeter, KCL, Bristol & a few others.

I can’t be certain having never been a member of Durham but id imagine some of the boutiques show up on campus (the big BBs tend to recruit very visibly at any uni & have a more process involving hirevue & similar steps) but it’s the boutiques & smaller middle market firms who don’t have the same recruitment capacity who may go to university careers fairs & the roles are a little harder if you don’t go to a university they appear at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending