The Student Room Group

Should I drop A Level Maths and do A level Biology in one year?

I'm currently in year 12 and I do maths, chemistry and psychology. In chemistry and psychology, I'm currently working at a B and A but despite putting a significant amount of time into A level maths I only got a C on my last test. I'm also interested in doing medicine at university so it's so important I get at least AAA and maths is holding me back. At first I thought it was a lack of hard work but I'm beginning to think it might be because I chose the wrong subject. My friend told me her tutor offered for her to drop a subject and then complete the full a level in another subject in year 13 so i was considering asking my tutor to do this and replacing maths with biology. I have been teaching myself it a little bit at a time anyway because I will need most of the info for university and also it really interests me. Doing A level biology opens up all medical schools but currently I have very limited uni options. Sorry for the long post. Advice?
Original post by Faz2154
I'm currently in year 12 and I do maths, chemistry and psychology. In chemistry and psychology, I'm currently working at a B and A but despite putting a significant amount of time into A level maths I only got a C on my last test. I'm also interested in doing medicine at university so it's so important I get at least AAA and maths is holding me back. At first I thought it was a lack of hard work but I'm beginning to think it might be because I chose the wrong subject. My friend told me her tutor offered for her to drop a subject and then complete the full a level in another subject in year 13 so i was considering asking my tutor to do this and replacing maths with biology. I have been teaching myself it a little bit at a time anyway because I will need most of the info for university and also it really interests me. Doing A level biology opens up all medical schools but currently I have very limited uni options. Sorry for the long post. Advice?

I'm not saying it's impossible, because I did it in 2016/17, but the amount of work that goes into Biology isn't something to take lightly either. Maths is hard for how much you have to understand and practise; Biology is a significant step-up from A Level.

My suggestion would be get an A Level textbook, read through some parts properly and see if you think it's something you would be interested in and capable of remembering. If so, get teaching yourself now and go for the tutor's offer, and seriously get a move on with the rest of the medicine application - most importantly work experience and preparing from the BMAT/UKCAT.

I don't know off the top of my head which universities but I do know a couple either don't require Biology or only require it to AS Level - presumably you'll learn from scratch in Year 1.

Also consider a Medicine Foundation Year, which sometimes is offered for people that don't have the right A Level. Just don't go to Cardiff; I do Medicine there and I couldn't urge you away more. UEA, Swansea and Keele off the top of my head do them.
Reply 2
Original post by CastCuraga
I'm not saying it's impossible, because I did it in 2016/17, but the amount of work that goes into Biology isn't something to take lightly either. Maths is hard for how much you have to understand and practise; Biology is a significant step-up from A Level.

My suggestion would be get an A Level textbook, read through some parts properly and see if you think it's something you would be interested in and capable of remembering. If so, get teaching yourself now and go for the tutor's offer, and seriously get a move on with the rest of the medicine application - most importantly work experience and preparing from the BMAT/UKCAT.

I don't know off the top of my head which universities but I do know a couple either don't require Biology or only require it to AS Level - presumably you'll learn from scratch in Year 1.

Also consider a Medicine Foundation Year, which sometimes is offered for people that don't have the right A Level. Just don't go to Cardiff; I do Medicine there and I couldn't urge you away more. UEA, Swansea and Keele off the top of my head do them.

Thank you for your advice I've got some work experience planned and I'm going to start studying for the ukcat and/or bmat soon. I currently have had a biology book on loan since the middle of december and I'm definitely interested in the content, I've also taught myself the first topic. I've got a list of all the unis i could go to but i know that biology opens up so much more opprotunities.
You can do it, it is not impossible, but Biology A Level is hard. Especially this new syllabus. Plus you must complete practicals. Exam is difficult, there is a part with an essay. Just be prepared, it is not easy. Good luck!
Original post by Faz2154
Thank you for your advice I've got some work experience planned and I'm going to start studying for the ukcat and/or bmat soon. I currently have had a biology book on loan since the middle of december and I'm definitely interested in the content, I've also taught myself the first topic. I've got a list of all the unis i could go to but i know that biology opens up so much more opprotunities.

You sound like you've got things sorted then, lad. Just have a backup plan ready in case she says no, because if you're motivated enough to do Medicine there are still certainly ways to do it.

The only thing I'd warn (and I speak as someone self-teaching Math and FM) is that you can understand things reading and taking notes, but it's important to do practise as well (via past papers, questions in the book etc). You sound like you've got stuff under control, just thought I'd say.

Even if you can't take Bio as an A Level it's still going to help you for the BMAT/UKCAT, and the rest will be taught to you in first year. Because Year 1 is where you learn the most anatomy/physiology in your entire life and don't honestly have to recall every detail after that.

Anyhow, best of luck with it.

Quick Reply

Latest