The Student Room Group

Do I drop out? HELP!

HI,

Im currently studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature; I wanted to go on to Medicine after college but the idea of 6 years at university doesnt sit right with me, plus im not 100% motivated and passionate on medicine and I feel like for something like that you should be.

Ive already asked my college if they will change Bio and Chem to Phsyics and Maths but they have said no I can only change one. I dont see myself doing anything other then Medicine with Biology and Chemistry whereas with Phsyics and Maths there are plenty of pathways i would like to take. I mainly would like to do astrophysics or something to do with finance.

If I were to drop out I was going to apply for an accounting apprentiship but I dont really understand how I am meant to do that. I wouldve then paid when im older to of done maths and physics A level but I feel like thats quite expensive as its about £2000 per A level.

Do I stick to college? Is studying for these tests worth it if at the end of the day I dont want to do them?

I dont want to sound big headed but I am smart im at A's in all three of my A levels I dont want to waste my knowledge by dropping out. It isnt helping either the fact all my friends are doing apprentiships making actual decent money for 16 year olds.

lol, sorry about all of this though I just had to get it off my chest as my friends arent really helpful as one side say I should drop out (all those people didnt do well in their GCSEs though) whereas my intellectual friends all say I shouldnt drop out but they never give reasoning its usually just ''i wouldnt'' and thats not really helpful.
Reply 1
It might be worth looking at degrees related to Medicine like :
Pharmacy or Pharmacology - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)
Cellular and Molecular Medicine courses - Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol
Natural Sciences (multiple-sciences) - Natural Sciences - Durham University
If you can see a point/purpose in continuing with Bio and Chem. ie aside from Medicine, then you might regain your sense of motivation for these subjects?
Reply 2
I’m in the exact same position as you focus in getting the a level grades for now
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ooolalala238
HI,
Im currently studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature; I wanted to go on to Medicine after college but the idea of 6 years at university doesnt sit right with me, plus im not 100% motivated and passionate on medicine and I feel like for something like that you should be.
Ive already asked my college if they will change Bio and Chem to Phsyics and Maths but they have said no I can only change one. I dont see myself doing anything other then Medicine with Biology and Chemistry whereas with Phsyics and Maths there are plenty of pathways i would like to take. I mainly would like to do astrophysics or something to do with finance.
If I were to drop out I was going to apply for an accounting apprentiship but I dont really understand how I am meant to do that. I wouldve then paid when im older to of done maths and physics A level but I feel like thats quite expensive as its about £2000 per A level.
Do I stick to college? Is studying for these tests worth it if at the end of the day I dont want to do them?
I dont want to sound big headed but I am smart im at A's in all three of my A levels I dont want to waste my knowledge by dropping out. It isnt helping either the fact all my friends are doing apprentiships making actual decent money for 16 year olds.
lol, sorry about all of this though I just had to get it off my chest as my friends arent really helpful as one side say I should drop out (all those people didnt do well in their GCSEs though) whereas my intellectual friends all say I shouldnt drop out but they never give reasoning its usually just ''i wouldnt'' and thats not really helpful.
Hi, im literally doing the same A-Levels as you and i absolutely hate going. Im so stressed and I genuinely don't enjoy my subjects apart from english. I wanted to do medicine at university also which is why i chose chemistry as well as biology, biology is okay but im regretting my decisions so much as the only reason i chose them was for one specific thing and now i hate the idea of 6 years at university. I want to drop out so bad, i spoke to my bf about it and he said it was stupid and i need to just wait it out but it's actually really affecting me and i feel as though id perhaps benefit through dropping out and focusing on what i actually want to do. But idk.
Reply 4
Original post by ooolalala238
HI,

what about taking a foundation year for smt like astrophysics/finance
Reply 5
Original post by millbobs
Hi, im literally doing the same A-Levels as you and i absolutely hate going. Im so stressed and I genuinely don't enjoy my subjects apart from english. I wanted to do medicine at university also which is why i chose chemistry as well as biology, biology is okay but im regretting my decisions so much as the only reason i chose them was for one specific thing and now i hate the idea of 6 years at university. I want to drop out so bad, i spoke to my bf about it and he said it was stupid and i need to just wait it out but it's actually really affecting me and i feel as though id perhaps benefit through dropping out and focusing on what i actually want to do. But idk.

Bro I feel you honestly I rlly rly dotn wanna do med anymore as well I despise chem so much it's acc horrendous I've gotten 3/4 rejections so far im actually praying I get the last rejection

Quick Reply

Latest