The Student Room Group

Has anyone experienced upskirting?

Following on from my poll about what you think about the issue, I noticed nobody has personally experienced this perverted act. Is there anyone who has experienced upskirting? and if so how did it make you feel and did you report it etc. ? From my research, I have noticed a lot of these cases don't get reported by police and even less lead to convictions. I'm sorry if this has happened to you and don't feel you have to share.
Reply 1
Original post by hollyghammond
Following on from my poll about what you think about the issue, I noticed nobody has personally experienced this perverted act. Is there anyone who has experienced upskirting? and if so how did it make you feel and did you report it etc. ? From my research, I have noticed a lot of these cases don't get reported by police and even less lead to convictions. I'm sorry if this has happened to you and don't feel you have to share.

Hi!

There's two sides to every argument, especially with this one. Firstly, I agree it's extremely morally wrong and can cause much emotional upset to the person. I also agree that the distribution of such images over any social media/physical database is a criminal offence in itself. HOWEVER... If the law was to set up skirting as a criminal offence, the law would have to set A LOT of conditions. You've got to remember that most up skirting does not involve physical contact and the persons phone is simply in free air. So, does this make a blouse/skirt/whatever a woman wears an imaginary boundary? Do people have to see it as though they are wearing pants/jeans and cannot go near wear they think the pants/jeans would go down to? Women on a "night out" may wear 'revealing bras" and in public it's perfectly acceptable to film that space . This brings the question to why if under garments are easily revealed (by wearing a short skirt/dress etc.), it's proposed it's NOT acceptable to film that space. Many males don't wear clothes because of how gender sided they are. They wear clothes to protect their decency. This and being kept warm and protected is the primary purpose of clothes... So can the law truly say, "If a woman decides to wear clothes that leave her slightly exposed, you will not be able to film in the direction/angle of her exposed areas." (Even if you're 'recording'/'taking pictures' due to said person attacking you). All of this would force people to follow a set criteria/judge, yes judge and determine whether this particular person is eligible to be filmed. Do all people have the mental capacity to judge?

A lot for you to think about here and hence why the law cannot simply be implemented without years of hard work.
I completely agree with what you are saying and it does indeed pose the question of where is the cut-off point? I think what you are saying can be really easily overlooked as the initial question isn't a simple yes or no, there's a lot more extraneous factors which cause a lot of grey areas with this subject. Thank you so much for your comment as this such an important thing to consider if upskirting is brought into criminal law.
I don't wear skirts.
what about up kilting???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending