The Student Room Group

Belgium retakes brussels grand mosque from saudi arabia

Interesting news emerging from the heart of Europe as Belgium announced that it was terminating Saudi Arabia's lease of the Grand Mosque of Brussels with immediate effect to end Saudi's funding of radical Jihadism within Brussels.

The spread of radicalism funded by Wahhabi Saudi Arabia was cited as the reason for the sudden termination, with the Mosque producing the Salafist terrorists who killed 130 people in Paris in 2015 and who killed 32 people in Brussels in 2016.

Saudi Arabia had been granted a 99-year rent-free lease for the building in 1969 in return for cheaper oil.

Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon stated that this illustrated Belgium's resolve to tackle:
Jan Jambon Twitter

Salafist, violent extremist influences

Saudi Arabia's global spread of Wahhabism (the regime's official branch of Islam) has been well-documented, with the Saudis having spent over $100 billion on exporting this radical ideology deep into Europe and Asia (by contrast, the Soviets spent $7 billion on spreading communism worldwide between 1921-1991).

Hillary Clinton declared (in a Wikileaks cable):
Hillary Clinton

... donors in Saudi Arabia constitute the most significant source of funding to Sunni terrorist groups worldwide.

Saudi Arabia remains a criticial financial support base for al-Qaeda, the Taliban, LeT and other terrorist groups.

A 2017 Report found that Saudi Arabia is the largest funder of extremism in the UK:
Henry Jackson Society

Saudi Arabia has, since the 1960s, sponsored a multimillion dollar effort to export Wahhabi Islam across the Islamic world, including to Muslim communities in the west.

... in 2007 Saudi Arabia was estimated to be spending at least $2bn annually on promoting Wahhabism worldwide. By 2015 that figure was believed to have doubled. The impact of this increased spending may well have been felt in Britain: in 2007, estimates put the number of mosques in Britain adhering to Salafism and Wahhabism at 68.
Austria has banned foreign funding for its mosques - is it time the UK did the same?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sources:

Belgium terminates Saudi Arabia's lease of the Grand Mosque of Brussels - Reuters
Saudi Arabia is the largest supporter/funder of Islamic extremism in the UK - BBC
Saudi Arabia's huge funding for the global spread of radical Wahhabism - Huffington Post
Original post by rigerang
trying to find the point of this post- oh NVM, it's the same old 'hurr moslem radicalessssss'

You sound upset. :smile:

Any claims or statistics in the OP that you actually object to, or just gonna ad hom and cover your eyes out of this one? :cool:
Original post by rigerang
yes, you're too intellectually superior to me- There isn't even any point in me even challenging you, so I'll just KMS now to save myself the humiliation

after all how can I even attempt to argue with someone who ends an argument by bringing up 'stats'

Don't kill yourself. But do get help. You need it. You need to be de-programmed and disabused of your vile left-wing programming that has poisoned your mind with vile and irrational hate of the right to such an pathological extent that you truly believe there is no religious nutbaggery taking place in society that is killing and slaughtering people left, right and centre, minority attitudes that view Western girls as sub-human trash to the point that many people feel no pangs of guilt whatsoever in raping and abusing them and destroying their lives, and that somehow it's all fiction and based on the right's racism and xenophobia. Even when the facts are there of how much money has been spent to build Mosques to spread the most extreme and conservative, fundamentalist, anti-western version of Islam, you pretend it's all 'Islamophobia'.

It's a mental illness now. No-one can tell me it isn't.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you actually read the article - Riyadh’s quick acceptance of Brussels’ request to relinquish the lease reflects a new readiness by the kingdom to promote a more moderate form of Islam

In other words, the Saudis dont care. With the fall of the soviet union, they dont need extreme islam to counter marxism in afghanistan and elsewhere
Reply 6
' such a low view of Western girls as sub-human trash that many people feel no pangs of guilt whatsoever in raping and abusing them and destroying their lives.'

lmao- you're right buddy, I'm the one who needs to be 'de-programmed'
Original post by hannah00
If you actually read the article - Riyadh’s quick acceptance of Brussels’ request to relinquish the lease reflects a new readiness by the kingdom to promote a more moderate form of Islam

In other words, the Saudis dont care. With the fall of the soviet union, they dont need extreme islam to counter marxism in afghanistan and elsewhere

I'd say it's more a case of mission accomplished now. We've done enough that it can propagate itself now on auto-pilot in Belgian. We still have thousands of Mosques across the West. No big deal.
Original post by Underground906
I'd say it's more a case of mission accomplished now. We've done enough that it can propagate itself now on auto-pilot in Belgian. We still have thousands of Mosques across the West. No big deal.

or more likely the thing I said and willingness to work with various western govts

mosques don't belong to any country. Near impossible to force people to follow your brand of religion from 1000kms away

also extremists tend to get information from online and get kicked out of mosques like the Boston Bombers
or more likely the thing I said and willingness to work with various western govts

mosques don't belong to any country. Near impossible to force people to follow your brand of religion from 1000kms away

also extremists tend to get information from online and get kicked out of mosques like the Boston Bombers

This isn't how it works. Riyadh is probably genuine about reforming his country, and was not even his own plan of his own creation. To him it might not personally matter so much. But the spread of it was not simply to counter Marxism. The goal of many in that region is the Muslim Caliphate. Not just Isis believe that. But large parts of that region. They want the world to be under Sharia Law because they are as devout as you can get. The go in for it all. The killing of apostates and homosexuals, all of that, so obvious the west is moral cesspool worthy of nothing but contempt and they want to push their religion and spread it, like all religions have done.

I don't ever say stuff that isn't based on real evidence, such as listening to real Imams and speakers from that region that have a Hitler'eque contempt for the sinful godless West and our vile Kuffar culture where women can freely cavort with men and have many sexual partners.

I watched this video earlier on the BBC, that Islamophobic, far-right organization. It's not just the Saudis funding Mosques, or at least just the Wahabi version. Andrew Neil questions this guy and the deception and prevarication is very real. Many of the Muslim mosques in this country are owned by certain sects that push the most retarded religious customs and beliefs on its herd.

How would you like your church to tell you as a female should not leave the house except when really necessary and sparingly? That you are not to drive more than 48 miles without being accompanied by a male? Or your school to tell you should be covering up in the niqab from the age of 11?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNWg512Hia8&t=1s

To downplay as if it was all about stopping the spread of Marxism instead of an active campaign to spread their religion and sharia law across the globe because they are devout and fanatical, is just not accurate or true. We must face reality full on and not bury our head in the sand.

This is a great step for Europe. The first bit of sane action.
(edited 6 years ago)
The government doesn't care about what Saudi Arabia does even if they do fund terrorism within our own country. All western countries bum lick the Saudis, with George Bush infamously saying "they attacked us first" to justify going to war with Iraq when it was the Saudis that done 9/11.

Uk Government won't stop foreign funding of mosques simple as, long as they buy our weapons and sell us oil.
If you actually read the article - Riyadh’s quick acceptance of Brussels’ request to relinquish the lease

No, in other words, this was carefully calculated and planned in advance with Saudi to prevent a diplomatic fallout. Belgium were perfectly entitled to terminate the lease and Saudi Arabia can't do anything about it (other than maybe divert funds to radicalising Sunni jihadists elsewhere):

they dont need extreme islam to counter marxism in afghanistan and elsewhere

And yet they continue to spend billions on spreading Wahhabism globally.

Just last year the Henry Jackson Society reported that Saudi Arabia continue to be the biggest funder of radical Islamic terror in the UK and spend billions on propagating Wahhabism:
Henry Jackson Society

.. in 2007 Saudi Arabia was estimated to be spending at least $2bn annually on promoting Wahhabism worldwide. By 2015 that figure was believed to have doubled.
Original post by Palmyra
No, in other words, this was carefully calculated and planned in advance with Saudi to prevent a diplomatic fallout. Belgium were perfectly entitled to terminate the lease and Saudi Arabia can't do anything about it (other than maybe divert funds to radicalising Sunni jihadists elsewhere):

And yet they continue to spend billions on spreading Wahhabism globally.

Just last year the Henry Jackson Society reported that Saudi Arabia continue to be the biggest funder of radical Islamic terror in the UK and spend billions on propagating Wahhabism:

I don't actually believe the Saudi Arabian government spends any money funding Islamic terrorism abroad. Such terrorism would destabilize and ultimately aim to destroy the present-day governments of Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf states, since it does not recognize these countries and only recognizes the Islamic State.

The Islamic terrorism that has arisen in the ME is a byproduct (cynics such as myself would say it is an intentional byproduct) of the USA's foreign intervention and wars in Iraq, Syria and elsewhere, which has destroyed the governments of these countries, furthered inter-sectarian Sunni-Shia strife as in Iraq, and allowed terrorism to flourish in the resulting power vaccum; in addition, it is pretty well-known that the USA, UK and other NATO allied countries have sent billions in aid and weaponry to extremist rebel groups fighting in these countries.

"Henry Jackson society", a name that as ridiculous as its claims.
(edited 6 years ago)
The UK government should stop all Saudi inlfuence at once.
Reply 14
Original post by SCIENCE :D
The UK government should stop all Saudi inlfuence at once.

But think of all those bombs they buy to blow up small children with...
The problem, in Britain, is not just in Salafist mosques. A similar situation exists with Deobandi mosques, usually funded from Pakistan and often supplied with imams from there. The latter are very attractive to many immigrant populations.

We should ban all inward money for religious purposes from foreign sources.
Sadly for you all, orthodox Muslims will continue to exist, even if Saudi was to impload (which it will do eventually) xo
The Saudi Zionists don't care about Islam or anyone but their own power and to be in the position they are they must be allied with US, Israel
Original post by Zamestaneh
Sadly for you all, orthodox Muslims will continue to exist, even if Saudi was to impload (which it will do eventually) xo

You think Salafists are orthodox? That tells us quite a lot.
Original post by Good bloke
You think Salafists are orthodox? That tells us quite a lot.

Those who stick to the methodology of the Salaf and do not go to extremes in harshness nor watering down their beliefs are those who are orthodox; in order to counter the ones who go to extremes, the West has propagated a Salafi/Wahabi boogieman narrative which must be stopped by curtailing the rights and marginalising orthodox Muslims and Muslims collectively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending