The Student Room Group

Muslim grouping OIC says measures needed to prevent Quran desecration

The 57-country-strong Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) said international law and other collective measures are needed to prevent future incidents involving the desecration of the Quran.

The grouping, whose populations are majority Muslim, issued the statement on Sunday during an extraordinary meeting in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia after the holy book was burned and defiled in Sweden.

“We must send constant reminders to the international community regarding the urgent application of international law, which clearly prohibits any advocacy of religious hatred,” OIC Secretary-General Hissein Brahim Taha said.

Last week, Salwan Momika, a 37-year-old Iraqi who fled to Sweden several years ago, tore up and lit pages of the Islamic holy book on fire.

The desecration occurred on the first day of the Eid al-Adha holidays. The act angered OIC member Turkey, whose backing Sweden needs to gain entry to the NATO military alliance.

Swedish police granted permission for a protest to take place, saying freedom of expression is guaranteed under the country’s constitution. But after the burning, police charged Momika with agitation against an ethnic or national group.

The act outside the Stockholm Central Mosque prompted international condemnation, including large protests in Iraq and countries in the Middle East summoning Swedish ambassadors.

On Sunday, Iran said it will refrain from sending a new ambassador to Sweden in protest over the incident. The country’s foreign ministry summoned Sweden’s charge d’affaires on Thursday to condemn what it said was an insult to the most sacred Islamic sanctities.

“Although administrative procedures to appoint a new ambassador to Sweden have ended, the process of dispatching them has been held off due to the Swedish government’s issuing of a permit to desecrate the Holy Quran,” Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian tweeted.

In approving the permit for the protest by the Iraqi refugee, Swedish police said that while it “may have foreign policy consequences”, the security risks did not mean the application should be rejected.

The United States also condemned the burning but added that issuing the permit for the demonstration supported freedom of expression.

Turkey’s condemnation of the burning, meanwhile, carries weight. In late January, Ankara suspended talks with Sweden on its NATO application after a Danish far-right politician burned a copy of the Quran near the Turkish embassy in Stockholm.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/7/2/oic-says-international-law-needed-to-quell-quran-desecrations

It was done by an Iraqi but sweden gets blamed??
Religious hatred is bad claims conference of Muslims in Saudi Arabia, a theocratic backwater that persecutes apostates and severely limits religious freedom.
Reply 2
Original post by HucktheForde
“We must send constant reminders to the international community regarding the urgent application of international law, which clearly prohibits any advocacy of religious hatred,” OIC Secretary-General Hissein Brahim Taha said.

Be careful what you wish for.
The Quran itself contains passages that promote religous hatred.
Reply 3
Must be warm in the desert in that glass house.
Reply 4
I'd take the complaint slightly more seriously if a good number of these participants didn't have a dubious history of burning flags and embassies..
I found it interesting that Mr Momika, a 37-year-old Iraqi refugee from a Christian background now a non believe has choose to do this. Could it be he is protest about the treatment of minority religions and non religion people in Iraq. Because of his actions religion minority and non-religion Iraqis are being put in danger.
Reply 6
From the same religion that advocates for women to be stoned for "adultery". Freedom of expression is protected by law in normal countries, so I don't know why Sweden is choosing to regress. America "condemning" it is hardly surprising, considering how much of a joke it is (and how authoritarian it is), but it's still pathetic that "the land of free" is "condemning" an act that displays freedom of expression. If you own something that is non-sentient, you can destroy it and scrawl whatever you want all over it. That is your business - not anyone else's and certainly not the business of highly hypocritical foreign authoritarian regimes that want international law to punish a man who has not committed a crime but lie and hide evidence of their actual crimes.
Reply 7
Original post by WADR
Be careful what you wish for.
The Quran itself contains passages that promote religous hatred.

like what exactly? gimme some ayahs or verses then
Reply 8
Original post by Grady2401
From the same religion that advocates for women to be stoned for "adultery"

yh uh that was back then
islam changed its rules over time...
and tbh, i dont see much wrong with that
Original post by Grady2401
From the same religion that advocates for women to be stoned for "adultery". Freedom of expression is protected by law in normal countries, so I don't know why Sweden is choosing to regress. America "condemning" it is hardly surprising, considering how much of a joke it is (and how authoritarian it is), but it's still pathetic that "the land of free" is "condemning" an act that displays freedom of expression. If you own something that is non-sentient, you can destroy it and scrawl whatever you want all over it. That is your business - not anyone else's and certainly not the business of highly hypocritical foreign authoritarian regimes that want international law to punish a man who has not committed a crime but lie and hide evidence of their actual crimes.

I think men also get stoned for adultery and are forced to marriage their first cousin you find Islam does treat anybody kindly
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by A____J
yh uh that was back then
islam changed its rules over time...
and tbh, i dont see much wrong with that

If it can be changed then it’s hardly the word of god and as such we don’t need to pay any attention to the Islamic lunatics.
Reply 11
Original post by Djtoodles
If it can be changed then it’s hardly the word of god and as such we don’t need to pay any attention to the Islamic lunatics.

ughh, u fool
stop twisting stuff
theres somat called the shariah law u know but im guessing u wouldnt know that...
and the qurans been preserved since the start of islam - nothings been changed unlike the bible
Original post by A____J
ughh, u fool
stop twisting stuff
theres somat called the shariah law u know but im guessing u wouldnt know that...
and the qurans been preserved since the start of islam - nothings been changed unlike the bible

A religious person calling me a fool. Irony.

Ofc I know sharia; know my enemy is my philosophy. Regardless you missed the point of my comment, unsurprising really. It’s all interpretation and sharia is no different. The true word of god would be black and white, unchanging. So, if Islamic law changes as you claim, then its either not the word of god or you went against god before or you now go against god. So which is it?
Blasphemy must never be a crime.
Reply 14
What a time to be alive...
Reply 15
Original post by Djtoodles
A religious person calling me a fool. Irony.

Ofc I know sharia; know my enemy is my philosophy. Regardless you missed the point of my comment, unsurprising really. It’s all interpretation and sharia is no different. The true word of god would be black and white, unchanging. So, if Islamic law changes as you claim, then its either not the word of god or you went against god before or you now go against god. So which is it?

what should i call u then? sir, maam or r those the wrong pronouns or watever
ok ok firstly why r muslims ur enemy? then we can properly talk
Original post by A____J
what should i call u then? sir, maam or r those the wrong pronouns or watever
ok ok firstly why r muslims ur enemy? then we can properly talk

A bit late but just to clarify I find the whole pronoun thing to be utterly asinine. I am what I am, and what I am is a man and claiming to be otherwise won’t make it so. With that little tangent out the way.

Muslims are not my enemy per se, islam is. Its my enemy because having read the quran and hadiths, having observed and studied islamic nations/groups and being witness to how those who follow islam in my own country behave, it is clear it doesn’t stand for what I, and the western world really, stand for and it is evident that islam and those who follow it would change any country to suit itself. To not consider it my enemy would be foolish.
(edited 6 months ago)
While burning a religious book is a **** move, shouldn’t be illegal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending