The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andrew97
I was torn over whether to include 2011 or not. It’s on sky f1 tonight (classic f1) so I think I’ll rewatch it.

Some races will be difficult doing this. (Monaco and UK). Baku should be easy.

Monaco is usually a snooze fest tbh. It is only interesting in rain (Id say 2008 is the best I have seen and easily Hamilton's best ever win imo). 2016 had drama but not much. 1982 is possibly the best for drama as everyone who led the race ended up retiring :lol:

Silverstone is more tricky. you have the classics such as 87 (mansell on piquet), 2008 (hamilton almost lapping the field...albeit i na car which was better in wets than most), 2003 (scottish priest invading the track). Whilst this race was a Ferrari domination fest, I would say 2002 race holds something to me (1st GP I went to, was in intermediate conditions with dry end and my dad managed to take a picture of Schumacher taking Montoya in Luffield for the lead in intermediate conditions (still have photo :smile: )

Baku is last year (obvs) but you could include the 2016 GP2 races (chaos, so much chaos)
really hope Lewis can win this weekend to keep the title race interesting
Original post by SciFiRory
really hope Lewis can win this weekend to keep the title race interesting

He’ll be hard pressed from 4th. He simply couldn’t get heat into the Ultra softs.
Reply 83
Although Mclaren are 3rd in constructors does anyone else feel they have been a huge let down so far?

Not even the 4th best car atm, let alone near the Red Bulls they were targeting
Reply 84
Original post by Tom191
Although Mclaren are 3rd in constructors does anyone else feel they have been a huge let down so far?

I've always quite liked McLaren (and their two drivers) so I'm hugely disappointed - but not surprised. They had no experience of the architecture of the Renault power unit, fitting it in, cooling it, etc, and they switched to it very late, so I wasn't expecting a lot from the MCL33... thought it would have too many compromises.

But hopefully they can at least close the gap as the season progresses.
Original post by Tom191

It's because they keep on overhyping themselves. Before 2017 they said that they'd improved massively and they wanted to seriously challenge. Then they finished 9th xD. Even this year they seem to think they can challenge for podiums. Perhaps they can grab the odd one, but let's face it - their chassis and aero isn't as good as Red Bull's, and their engine is the same.

I reckon they should improve through the season. Hard to say now but I think they can get 4th in the WCC. Should be a very interesting fight in the upper-midfield
Original post by Tom191

Agreed. They are the 7th best car I think. In Australia they qualified 11th and 12th. Alonso gsined under the VSC and finished 5th, Vandoorne came 9th (With both Haas cars retiring and Sainz having issues)

In Bahrain they were 13-14th (ish). Nando launched it off the line, getting ahead of the Force India train and gaining from the Red Bulls and Kimi. Vandoorne was able to strategy himself ahead of the Perez, Ocon, Grosjean, Hartley gang (along with Erricson). They are 4th due to circumstance. Haas, Renault and Toro Rosso/Force India are faster.
Reply 88
Verstappen has been a complete joke this season. Not really complaining because it makes the championship much more interesting, but his start to the season has been worse than 2016 Kvyat.
Original post by Tom191
Verstappen has been a complete joke this season. Not really complaining because it makes the championship much more interesting, but his start to the season has been worse than 2016 Kvyat.

Could have won that. Was too optimistic.
Could have won that. Was too optimistic.

I found it interesting how Verstappen and Gasly essentially tried very similar moves with very similar results...
Original post by Stratos7
I found it interesting how Verstappen and Gasly essentially tried very similar moves with very similar results...

Ahah yes. It was too late. That race was hero and zero stuff. For example if we take Riccardo on Bottas. 1 more inch to the inside and they would have both been out, and Kimi would have won the race.
Something I want to get going on this thread after each race guys. A nomination for Driver of the Day, and a nomination for worst Driver of the day.
Something I want to get going on this thread after each race guys. A nomination for Driver of the Day, and a nomination for worst Driver of the day.

Sounds good.

Australia: Best is Alonso. No idea for worst (I suppose I can't nominate the Haas mechanics xD).
Bahrain: Best is Vettel (sorry Gasly, but can't argue with 39 laps on softs). Worst is Verstappen.
China: Best is Ricciardo, worst is Verstappen (again).
Some thoughts on the race:

I feel rather sorry for Kimi - he seems to be merely used as a mobile chicane for Ferrari to enhance Vettel's chances. He actually has some pace this year - glad to see him on the podium.

Hamilton seems to be rather slow this weekend. Mercedes is no longer the fastest in a straight line - they are way down the speed-trap rankings.

Talking of Vettel's spin, Verstappen is in serious trouble. Two ridiculous moves in two races. I'd be tempted to suggest some Super Licence penalty points - that should make him think more than being demoted a place. Yes, I know Gasly did the same thing, but he didn't crash in Bahrain. Had Verstappen not done that, a Red Bull 1-2 could well have been in reach. I'd like to meet the 5% of people who voted for him as Driver of the Day...

Alonso seems to be in pretty good form. McLaren might be able to get 4th in the Constructors'.

The Toro Rosso hype has definitely died down after that silly crash. Luckily I don't think it'll grow into something like Force India at Spa 2017.

Original post by TheMindGarage
Some thoughts on the race:

I feel rather sorry for Kimi - he seems to be merely used as a mobile chicane for Ferrari to enhance Vettel's chances. He actually has some pace this year - glad to see him on the podium.

Hamilton seems to be rather slow this weekend. Mercedes is no longer the fastest in a straight line - they are way down the speed-trap rankings.

Talking of Vettel's spin, Verstappen is in serious trouble. Two ridiculous moves in two races. I'd be tempted to suggest some Super Licence penalty points - that should make him think more than being demoted a place. Yes, I know Gasly did the same thing, but he didn't crash in Bahrain. Had Verstappen not done that, a Red Bull 1-2 could well have been in reach. I'd like to meet the 5% of people who voted for him as Driver of the Day...

Alonso seems to be in pretty good form. McLaren might be able to get 4th in the Constructors'.

The Toro Rosso hype has definitely died down after that silly crash. Luckily I don't think it'll grow into something like Force India at Spa 2017.

My review of the race in backwards order of the constructors:

Toro Rosso: What a fall back down to earth for them. The car didn't look quick at all during the weekend. To top this off a clumsy crash by Gasly (it was his fault 100%). Hopefully it won't grow into too much.

Sauber: Probably where we expect them to be. The car looks hard to drive and is complicated, Leclerc needs to calm down a bit and beat Erricson consistently to be noticed.

Williams: Slow car, slow drivers. Not much else to say. Had a chance of points but were too slow to be able to do this. Stroll did however make a good start, could be useful.

Force India: Unlucky not to score points this weekend, the car seemed better than in the first 2 races. Ocon outdrove Sergio today. Perez needs to pick it up soon. The team needs to develop to have a chance before Renault and Mclaren get to far away.

McLaren: They have a decent haul of points despite the car clearly not being fast. Part of this is circumstance, the other is mega starts by Alonso which puts him in contention. Vandoorne was anon today, he might have been hurt by the SC. This is the first time since 2013 that both cars have finished the first 3 races. Alonso was agressive against Vettel and Grosjean during the race, making moves when he could.

Haas: Haas are not making the most of their car at the moment. It is clearly very good, but Grosjean has not scored yet and is being put into the shade by Kmag. Team orders in race 3 may seem early, but the way Kmag pulled away that was understandable. Both drivers were hurt by the SC

Renault: Quiet race by Carlos today, not much to say there. Hukenburg drove well. He built a gap to the cars behind and drove his own race, keeping up with the big 6 after the SC was impressive and allowed him to gain from Vettel.

Ferrari: Oh what could have been for the boys in red? Kimi needs to be more aggressive on the first lap, this led to the later situation of him being used to help Vettel. The strategy was also all wrong. They waited for Mercedes to pit, allowing Bottas to control the race. Keeping Kimi out that long and putting him on mediums was incorrect, no point in that. Moreover not pitting Kimi under SC was a bad move, he could have won had it not been for that. Vettel was unlucky, got undercut by Bottas and then was not able to pit under SC. Being hit by Max and shoved off by Alonso summed it up. He did however remain remarkably calm over the radio.

Mercedes: A race that they had won earlier, then lost. Bottas got another good start and shadowed Vettel at the start. A super outlap gave him the lead. He was unlucky with SC timing, a well timed restart gave him the jump and he did well to hold off Kimi at the end. Hamilton, Mercedes should have pitted him under SC and he could have won the race. Other than that he seemed off sorts all Saturday and Sunday. Never had the pace of Bottas.

Red Bull: Opportunist. Max needs to reign it in. That move against Hamilton was never going to work in the dry, and hitting Vettel was clumsy, penalty deserved. Riccardo was anon for the first half, but came alive later. Great move against Lewis and Kimi. The Bottas move was hero and zero stuff, kudos to Bottas for at least trying to defend. Pitting make total sense for Red Bull, they had little to loose.
Reply 96

Driver of the day is Ricciardo, worst driver is tough between Gasly and Verstappen. Based off Verstappen somehow actually finishing where he started, it would have to be Gasly (even though Verstappen arguably should've won the race as he was 4th after the safety car when Dani Ric was 6th)
Original post by Tom191
Driver of the day is Ricciardo, worst driver is tough between Gasly and Verstappen. Based off Verstappen somehow actually finishing where he started, it would have to be Gasly (even though Verstappen arguably should've won the race as he was 4th after the safety car when Dani Ric was 6th)

Best: Ricciardo, with an honourable mention to Bottas.
Worst. Max
Best: Ricciardo, with an honourable mention to Bottas.
Worst. Max

Original post by TheMindGarage
Sounds good.

Australia: Best is Alonso. No idea for worst (I suppose I can't nominate the Haas mechanics xD).
Bahrain: Best is Vettel (sorry Gasly, but can't argue with 39 laps on softs). Worst is Verstappen.
China: Best is Ricciardo, worst is Verstappen (again).

I have no problem with people nominating teams/cars etc.
One more thing chaps, for some reason every season I like to calculate and alternative championship. Basically it is based on real life results, however when a driver DNF in a race they are excluded from the rest of the season. This has thrown up some interesting champions in the past. Would you lot like me to keep you updated on how this is going?

Latest