The Student Room Group

Best courses/universities for F1?

i understand that participating in formula student and trying to get internships and work experience at racing teams is crucial but looking at a pure academic side what are some of the best universities for becoming an engineer in formula one. The tables say your prestigious universities like oxbridge Durham etc but they just do general engineering compared to places like bath Southampton Bristol who have many forms of engineering and also formula student teams( i also know that tables are quite unreliable and useless as ive seen people say on many other threads).
So i was just wondering for people who actually know and have been through the degrees and would know, what are some of the best universities and courses to go about doing engineering in formula 1?
I did Mat Sci at Loughborough and worked with Williams F1 and Lotus indirectly (I got to consult on materials failures with them, but couldn't say I worked for them directly)

- from what I saw they are only really interested in the most exceptional talent. So yes a decent Uni is expected but it has to be more than that. My mate won young Engineer of the Year and was exceptional on our course, he went to JLR. The best in my year went to work in cutting edge military design - so I know F1 might sound exciting and glamorous but there are other exciting fields you may yet not know about yet

If I was set on trying to do something like that today I would go to lots of Uni Open Days and see what connections the academic staff have to the right places, have they had placements students or graduates go there?

Knowing the right people can make a big difference in opening the right doors. LinkedIn might help you find some helpful stuff too
Reply 2
Original post by ChiefBrody
I did Mat Sci at Loughborough and worked with Williams F1 and Lotus indirectly (I got to consult on materials failures with them, but couldn't say I worked for them directly)

- from what I saw they are only really interested in the most exceptional talent. So yes a decent Uni is expected but it has to be more than that. My mate won young Engineer of the Year and was exceptional on our course, he went to JLR. The best in my year went to work in cutting edge military design - so I know F1 might sound exciting and glamorous but there are other exciting fields you may yet not know about yet

If I was set on trying to do something like that today I would go to lots of Uni Open Days and see what connections the academic staff have to the right places, have they had placements students or graduates go there?

Knowing the right people can make a big difference in opening the right doors. LinkedIn might help you find some helpful stuff too

yes ive been onto linkedin and it seems a recurring theme that Southampton bath and brookes seem to always been in the top 5 for people employed from these places going into F1 teams so im guessing these universites have strong ties and also strong courses. I know for southampton that the best engineer in F1 of all time attended there and has said red bull end up hiring highly from southampton not just because adrian newey went there but becase the cvs and quality of the students that leave there are some of the best.
For now i know i want to be an F1 engineer just because the enjoyment for the sport and passion for engineering but i know that can easily change once i get onto the course.
Also just out of curiosity what are some of things your friend did which helped him excel in engineering and win young engineer of the year?
Original post by charliejoshua
Also just out of curiosity what are some of things your friend did which helped him excel in engineering and win young engineer of the year?

^ I have no idea, we never really talked about it, sorry

Good to hear about the research, Southampton and Bath doesn't surprise me.

What subjects / course do you think you can excel at? F1 seems to draw on a very wide range of talents
Reply 4
Original post by ChiefBrody
^ I have no idea, we never really talked about it, sorry

Good to hear about the research, Southampton and Bath doesn't surprise me.

What subjects / course do you think you can excel at? F1 seems to draw on a very wide range of talents

well im currently going to study mechanical engineering at southampton but will switch to aeronautics and astronautics as i did well in my physics and maths alevles and really enjoyed them. I really am intrigued by the aero side of formula one as it baffles me how the can generate tons of down force just by altering air flow so i would love to pursue a career in aero design. I also love the idea of bending rules with new innovative designs. I know its a very competitive but im going to get into formula student first year hopefully and try my best to attend networking events and also try and maybe participate in a race team in soton to not only get some money but to gain experience working in a race team.
Reply 5
Original post by charliejoshua
i understand that participating in formula student and trying to get internships and work experience at racing teams is crucial but looking at a pure academic side what are some of the best universities for becoming an engineer in formula one. The tables say your prestigious universities like oxbridge Durham etc but they just do general engineering compared to places like bath Southampton Bristol who have many forms of engineering and also formula student teams( i also know that tables are quite unreliable and useless as ive seen people say on many other threads).
So i was just wondering for people who actually know and have been through the degrees and would know, what are some of the best universities and courses to go about doing engineering in formula 1?

Brookes Motorsport engineering is the best - designed by F1. They also have a very successful [most awards in the UK} Formula Student team

Quick Reply

Latest