The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can do it, keep going over past papers and other types of practice papers online, and dont forget to read the examiners reports for your exam board, as they will contain frequently made mistakes and what the examiners are looking for, Refer to the specification for your exam board, and keep pushing on, as long as you prepare as much as you can, you can do the best that you can.

As long as you do your best, you cant ask more of yourself
Original post by aleena1234
So currently I have 6 weeks before my gcse I am doing a past paper a day or a hour maths revision and but I keep getting 5s or 6s and I desperately need a 7 can I improve my grade is such little time. Because it says you need 10,000 hours to be an expert at something and I have got that much time.

Where does it say that, sorry but I think that's absolute rubbish in terms of gcse, maybe to be an expert as in career level it is possible to take that long but for gcse no way. There's under 1032 hours till gcse exams and when you exclude basic things like eating, school itself and sleeping there's not much time at all but still plenty to improve in maths but it will require a lot of revision. There's definitely time but not if you leave it till after easter
I kept getting 5s in maths but in my last I finally managed to get an 8.
What is your exam board. The sources you can use to revise are relatively the same. There's hardly any difference in content between edexcel and aqa but edexcel are harder and with aqa there's more questions which always seem to come up like Venn diagrams, histograms, vectors, to name a few. They way they ask question is also different so it's better to use practice papers for your exam board.

With maths you've got to practice loads. You said you've been doing past papers so that's good, have you understood all the questions you've got wrong? Are you still practicing other topics you think you are weak it because just doing practice papers means you may not come across a certain topic you're not good at, and if you haven't practiced them then you're screwed in the exam well at least for that question.
Of you don't understand a topic from the method in the book, then look it up online or YouTube it.

With maths you still need to revise the easy topics and I'm not just saying this because of the questions in foundation and higher but because with the easier topics, you might come across harder questions on it so you might not be quite as good at that topic as you thought. With higher maths there is lots of problem solving around 25-35%, compared to 15-25% for foundation, so if you can't problem solving on a topic it usally means you're not fully confident with a topic or as confident as you thought you were.
To be honest to aim for a 7 you don't actually need to know all topics or be able to do majority of questions, but I definitely wouldn't suggest avoiding topics you're really weak at or hate though.

Websites people commonly use or find helpful are Corbett maths, just maths and maths genie. If you don't already have a Workbook or revision guide youo should get one but it's better to get one for your exam board even though edexcel and aqa are pretty same in content.
If you finish doing all the ones for your exam board then try the other ones as they still test on same s skills, and you could also get a set like the cgp practice paper set, Churchill practice paper set.

Isthere any specific topics you don't understand.

While I'm still not a pro at maths, I have improved a lot, and am quite good at it now so know more about what to do, so feel free to message me for help.
Reply 3
Original post by Iahmed512
Where does it say that, sorry but I think that's absolute rubbish in terms of gcse, maybe to be an expert as in career level it is possible to take that long but for gcse no way. There's under 1032 hours till gcse exams and when you exclude basic things like eating, school itself and sleeping there's not much time at all but still plenty to improve in maths but it will require a lot of revision. There's definitely time but not if you leave it till after easter
I kept getting 5s in maths but in my last I finally managed to get an 8.
What is your exam board. The sources you can use to revise are relatively the same. There's hardly any difference in content between edexcel and aqa but edexcel are harder and with aqa there's more questions which always seem to come up like Venn diagrams, histograms, vectors, to name a few. They way they ask question is also different so it's better to use practice papers for your exam board.

With maths you've got to practice loads. You said you've been doing past papers so that's good, have you understood all the questions you've got wrong? Are you still practicing other topics you think you are weak it because just doing practice papers means you may not come across a certain topic you're not good at, and if you haven't practiced them then you're screwed in the exam well at least for that question.
Of you don't understand a topic from the method in the book, then look it up online or YouTube it.

With maths you still need to revise the easy topics and I'm not just saying this because of the questions in foundation and higher but because with the easier topics, you might come across harder questions on it so you might not be quite as good at that topic as you thought. With higher maths there is lots of problem solving around 25-35%, compared to 15-25% for foundation, so if you can't problem solving on a topic it usally means you're not fully confident with a topic or as confident as you thought you were.
To be honest to aim for a 7 you don't actually need to know all topics or be able to do majority of questions, but I definitely wouldn't suggest avoiding topics you're really weak at or hate though.

Websites people commonly use or find helpful are Corbett maths, just maths and maths genie. If you don't already have a Workbook or revision guide youo should get one but it's better to get one for your exam board even though edexcel and aqa are pretty same in content.
If you finish doing all the ones for your exam board then try the other ones as they still test on same s skills, and you could also get a set like the cgp practice paper set, Churchill practice paper set.

Isthere any specific topics you don't understand.

While I'm still not a pro at maths, I have improved a lot, and am quite good at it now so know more about what to do, so feel free to message me for help.

Thanks you are really motivating me I have edexcel.And yes I try to go over questions I don't get with youtube videos. I have started revision before easter but only slightly but now in easter I am doing a hour a day.
Thanks you are really motivating me I have edexcel.And yes I try to go over questions I don't get with youtube videos. I have started revision before easter but only slightly but now in easter I am doing a hour a day.

With my year 10 mocks I pretty much done no revision, except reading my book and practicing a slight bit. Last mocks I revised quite a lot but still not enough and only a few weeks before and I done practice papers but I wasn't doing very well with them, only getting like 27/30, but now when I do practice papers I usually get around 70 in paper 1, 60 in paper 2 and 50 in paper 3.
Edexcel and aqa grade boundaries are different but you need around at least 130 marks for a 7, it was 131 for the mocks I just had which were aqa ones. But it's better to aim for above 140 marks just to be safe.

I'm not going to say how much you need to revise for maths but depending on how you feel with all the topics, it might take over an hour a day in total, but if you start doing the harder topics first, then you should be able to speed through the easier topics even if you are struggling with it because it should be easier and quicker to understand.

Yeah it's easier to relate since I was in the same position, and I haven't been a person always getting 7s or above.
I'm happy to heard that.
Good luck!
Original post by dude101010

Seems pretty good but it is based on old spec so doesn't cover all topics.
Reply 7
Original post by dude101010

Hopefully thanks I really appreciate you helping me.
Reply 8
With my year 10 mocks I pretty much done no revision, except reading my book and practicing a slight bit. Last mocks I revised quite a lot but still not enough and only a few weeks before and I done practice papers but I wasn't doing very well with them, only getting like 27/30, but now when I do practice papers I usually get around 70 in paper 1, 60 in paper 2 and 50 in paper 3.
Edexcel and aqa grade boundaries are different but you need around at least 130 marks for a 7, it was 131 for the mocks I just had which were aqa ones. But it's better to aim for above 140 marks just to be safe.

I'm not going to say how much you need to revise for maths but depending on how you feel with all the topics, it might take over an hour a day in total, but if you start doing the harder topics first, then you should be able to speed through the easier topics even if you are struggling with it because it should be easier and quicker to understand.

Yeah it's easier to relate since I was in the same position, and I haven't been a person always getting 7s or above.
I'm happy to heard that.
Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking what were your gcse results not just for maths but for everything you seem super hardworking and smart.
If you don't mind me asking what were your gcse results not just for maths but for everything you seem super hardworking and smart.

Yes sure, I don't mind, thanks.
The mocks I've just had were only for core subjects plus RS and don't include chemistry for my class.
I've already said I got 8 in maths, I got 5 in English but one mark off a 6, 5 in RS also one mark off a 6, 8 in biology and 8 in physics. The biology grade boundaries were quite low for a paper which was fairly easier, it was higher last time even though paper was harder so it should have been the other way round.
In my last mock I got 5 in English, 5 in maths, 5 in biology, 5 in chemistry, 9 in physics, 9 in computing, a 3, 4 and a 5 in French, and I was one mark off a 7 in RS.
Yeah people call me really smart whole I do kind of consider myself smart I don't think I'm that smart although in most of my classes I am the smartest one and I do consider myself the smartest for that subject without trying to sound arrogant.
Also I am not one of the people that aren't grateful with grades, some people complain about 7s or 8s, and sometimes even 9s because their friends have got a higher mark which I've heard on thread
I sometimes kind of feel guilty when I do well and when people say I'm hardworking, because I don't actually revise a lot, and teachers think I've revised a lot and some people who actually revised haven't done as well, and it's also because I should be revising lots, so I feel like I haven't completely deserved it. I sometimes feel like I'm just getting lucky. With maths for this mock I actually revised loads for it though, so I was most happy with it and I didn't only just get the grade, or get it because if low grade boundaries.
I have revised for mocks but it's only when it's really close and not loads for everything but too much for one subject.
However, I definitely do try in class, like the most compared to most if the class, most of the time. I must be good or smarter than I think if I'm still doing well in tests and exams.
Also I think I have special memory or something because I don't have good memory in general but I remember quite a lot of stuff learned in school which is kind of how I still do well in exams without revising lots, however, if I didn't try in lessons if I really do have this special memory it wouldn't work. I also think I might work better in exam pressure because the stuff I manage to remember or say in tests and exams I wouldn't remember or think of normally.
I need to and am planning on revising lots this Easter holidays but I actually need to do it though rather than just planning to and for all subjects not just maths.

Anyway, sorry for the long message, and good luck in your exams, however many you have and in whatever subjects you're doing.
How long and how much revision did it take you to go from getting 30 to 60 70 marks
Original post by FreshPrince102
How long and how much revision did it take you to go from getting 30 to 60 70 marks

Ages, for me like several hours over a few weeks but it's not too late now to improve.
It will be quicker if you're a quicker learner as well, and rather than going through every topic, go over every topic in the practice paper or past paper you got a question wrong in.
Ages, for me like several hours over a few weeks but it's not too late now to improve.
It will be quicker if you're a quicker learner as well, and rather than going through every topic, go over every topic in the practice paper or past paper you got a question wrong in.

Ok bro what do you think i can get with 5 weeks left every day maths like 2 hours.
I can currently get roughly around 30 marks per paper
Ok bro what do you think i can get with 5 weeks left every day maths like 2 hours.
I can currently get roughly around 30 marks per paper

It might not seem like a lot, but 2 hours a day every day over 5 weeks will be plenty aim for at least a 7, and you are more than capable because even getting 30 in each paper is 90 overall so a 5 so you must be at least okay or semi decent at maths
What's your exam board for maths?
It might not seem like a lot, but 2 hours a day every day over 5 weeks will be plenty aim for at least a 7, and you are more than capable because even getting 30 in each paper is 90 overall so a 5 so you must be at least okay or semi decent at maths
What's your exam board for maths?

AQA yh I am aiming for a 7 or higher. I actually like maths its just i havent really tried or revised until last month. I know I am capable of getting a 7 or 8 if Ijust practise a lot and do at least 2 hours a day. Any other tips you have for me bro?
AQA yh I am aiming for a 7 or higher. I actually like maths its just i havent really tried or revised until last month. I know I am capable of getting a 7 or 8 if Ijust practise a lot and do at least 2 hours a day. Any other tips you have for me bro?

Yeah I do aqa too, haven't heard of much people doing AQA, aim for an 8 then, grade boundaries aren't actually that high, it is higher for aqa but it makes erne cause it's much easier than edexcel, to get an 8 you would need no more than 47 marks even if grade boundaries increase by quite a bit and for an 8 no more than about 58 marks per paper.
Just practice like you're doing or planning to so wether it's worksheets, workbooks, revision guide questions but make sure you're doing practice papers. Whatever you don't get make from practice papers make sure you try to understand all of it.

Have you had November 2017 Paper for a mock?
Yeah I do aqa too, haven't heard of much people doing AQA, aim for an 8 then, grade boundaries aren't actually that high, it is higher for aqa but it makes erne cause it's much easier than edexcel, to get an 8 you would need no more than 47 marks even if grade boundaries increase by quite a bit and for an 8 no more than about 58 marks per paper.
Just practice like you're doing or planning to so wether it's worksheets, workbooks, revision guide questions but make sure you're doing practice papers. Whatever you don't get make from practice papers make sure you try to understand all of it.

Yh from the november papers grade 5. I have the CGP workbook and have the november papers with me. My teacher gave me this booklet "aiming for grade 7" and i have just being going through that making sure i can do everything as she said I would secure a grade 7 from answering everything from there. Then going back to the papers and any question i couldnt do i answer it from what i have learnt.
Yh from the november papers grade 5. I have the CGP workbook and have the november papers with me. My teacher gave me this booklet "aiming for grade 7" and i have just being going through that making sure i can do everything as she said I would secure a grade 7 from answering everything from there. Then going back to the papers and any question i couldnt do i answer it from what i have learnt.

As in you have the exact paper you done for the mock, or another one which was blank
Yeah that seems like a good idea,

Yh november papers grade 5. What are you aiming for and did you do anything specifically to go from a 5 to a 8 or was it just practise
Yh november papers grade 5. What are you aiming for and did you do anything specifically to go from a 5 to a 8 or was it just practise

So have you redone it or are going to?
I think I want to aim for a 9, back in December or January I would have said 7.
Mostly practice but not just pure practice, unless I knew the topic I watched a video on it to know how to do it, and sometimes I done question but couldn't do some and checked video again and tries. I still do this when practicing now.
Once you start practicing enough you get better at maths in general so a lot of other things in maths becomes easier. Also make sure you are still able to do basic topics too.

Latest