The Student Room Group

Mature student looking for advice into medicine

So as the title suggests. I’m a mature student (31) and have decided after years of self doubt, lack of confidence, and generally bad life mistakes that I want to pursue the career I’ve always dreamed about.

The problem is I didn’t do great in my GCSE’s and have been out of education for over 10 years, from what I researched so far the quickest route for me into medicine would be an access course, luckily I live in Manchester so Manchester college seems like a good shout. However after speaking with them I would need maths and English GCSE grade B or above. I’m more than confident of achieving those grades but that’s going to put me back another year and at 31 I’m not getting any younger so my question is am I wasting my time due to my age or is worth pursuing?
Original post by Simona33
So as the title suggests. I’m a mature student (31) and have decided after years of self doubt, lack of confidence, and generally bad life mistakes that I want to pursue the career I’ve always dreamed about.

The problem is I didn’t do great in my GCSE’s and have been out of education for over 10 years, from what I researched so far the quickest route for me into medicine would be an access course, luckily I live in Manchester so Manchester college seems like a good shout. However after speaking with them I would need maths and English GCSE grade B or above. I’m more than confident of achieving those grades but that’s going to put me back another year and at 31 I’m not getting any younger so my question is am I wasting my time due to my age or is worth pursuing?

I don't know if medicine is an achievable goal for you but getting decent grades in maths and English GCSE would be a positive move towards medicine, some other academic study or for employment. Go for it.
Reply 2
I don't see why age would stop you from becoming a doctor, and as long as you're able to meet the requirements, then there should be nothing stopping you.

Besides, you can apply whilst retaking, so that doesn't necessarily have to set you back a year.
Where is this access Programme because I’ll research it more for you .... I know a few people who will be able to give you tips
Send the link below
Reply 4
Original post by luqman12673863
Where is this access Programme because I’ll research it more for you .... I know a few people who will be able to give you tips
Send the link below

https://www.tmc.ac.uk/courses/medicine-dentistry-pharmacy-and-medical-science

The access course is at Manchester college (link above)

Any help/tips wouldn’t be greatly appreciated 🤞
Reply 5
To simply answer your question....no you would not be too old.

I completed an access course and started med school at the ripe old age of 36. There were several mature students from access courses aged between 25 and 30 so I didn't feel too old.

More importantly the younger students fresh out of school accepted me as if I had always been part of their peer group and consequently, it was a wonderful learning environment. Age was really no issue.

My issue was personal health which prevented me from getting to the end of the course.

There's no easy path to medicine and it's very competitive to get in but mature students stand out and many med schools are quite pro mature students. A mature student has many desirable qualities over and above younger students. The flip side is that mature students often have more distractions such as children, pre-existing loans, houses, partners and so on.

Only you can know whether medicine is the right path for you but age as a number is of no concern. Do not under any circumstances underestimate the time and commitment during and after the degree though which is a far greater consideration than your age.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending