The Student Room Group

Not sure what uni course to take

Hi everyone.

Currently studying Access to HE: Humanities and Social Science at my local college in Kendal. Been looking through courses at some local universities as moving to a university with more course options isn't an option for me and my family. Here are the four courses that I would like to apply for but not sure which one. Unfortunately, my previous post about this topic disappeared shortly after posting it and that gave more of an in-depth image of my current situation but I dont want to re-write it again.

1.) Modern Language (Japanese and Chinese with Spanish) at UCLAN
2.) International Tourism Management at UCLAN
3.) Advertising and Marketing at Lancaster Uni / Creative Advertising at University of Cumbria
4.) International Business Management at University of Cumbria

So, here are my current qualifications: GCSEs English (B), Art (A), Math Functional Skills (C). All other subjects were failures. I also did a BTEC Level 2 Art and Design which I got a D* and then went to do a foundation but dropped out a month later to become a carer for my dad. Due to financial difficulties, I couldn't go back to school and had to work straight away. Ive been working in the hospitality industry for 8 years being a housekeeper with no other qualifications. Despite working many hours and working hard to get up the ladder, Ive never been promoted as most managers said I do not have the necessary qualifications. Others that did have the experience and the qualifications beat me to it so here I am wanting to get out of this situation so I can find a better career for me and my family's benefit.

Im not entirely sure what course would help me achieve my goal of getting a better chance of working internationally as well as putting my creativity and communication skills to good use. Ive always loved the idea of being fluent in many languages; my mother tongue is Tagalog (Filipino) and I have basic understanding of Spanish courtesy of the Spanish colonial era. I am very good in writing and reading Katakana and Hiragana as Ive lived in Japan for a few months doing volunteer work (not so much Kanji). Ive also lived in Singapore for a few years where ive found that being able to speak and understand chinese made a lot of difference in the business and tourism industry sector.

I would very much like to manage an international business one day (not a big one) or if not that, be able to work for one but not as a housekeeper. Id like to do admin/office work...maybe even supervise but I would like my degree to help me outrun other potential candidates as competition is fierce in the tourism and management industry. My family and I would like to move to South East Asia where Im from sometime in the future and I dont want to go there empty-handed.

At the moment, I am still working part time and looking after my son with my husband's help. Im afraid i cant give up working as bills need to be paid hence part-time courses are more ideal for me. Ideally, doing a full-time course is what I would like to do and depending on how they are like, I may be able to do it.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter especially from those who are currently attending any of the stated courses listed above. Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Tulvander12
Hi everyone.

Currently studying Access to HE: Humanities and Social Science at my local college in Kendal. Been looking through courses at some local universities as moving to a university with more course options isn't an option for me and my family. Here are the four courses that I would like to apply for but not sure which one. Unfortunately, my previous post about this topic disappeared shortly after posting it and that gave more of an in-depth image of my current situation but I dont want to re-write it again.

1.) Modern Language (Japanese and Chinese with Spanish) at UCLAN
2.) International Tourism Management at UCLAN
3.) Advertising and Marketing at Lancaster Uni / Creative Advertising at University of Cumbria
4.) International Business Management at University of Cumbria

So, here are my current qualifications: GCSEs English (B), Art (A), Math Functional Skills (C). All other subjects were failures. I also did a BTEC Level 2 Art and Design which I got a D* and then went to do a foundation but dropped out a month later to become a carer for my dad. Due to financial difficulties, I couldn't go back to school and had to work straight away. Ive been working in the hospitality industry for 8 years being a housekeeper with no other qualifications. Despite working many hours and working hard to get up the ladder, Ive never been promoted as most managers said I do not have the necessary qualifications. Others that did have the experience and the qualifications beat me to it so here I am wanting to get out of this situation so I can find a better career for me and my family's benefit.

Im not entirely sure what course would help me achieve my goal of getting a better chance of working internationally as well as putting my creativity and communication skills to good use. Ive always loved the idea of being fluent in many languages; my mother tongue is Tagalog (Filipino) and I have basic understanding of Spanish courtesy of the Spanish colonial era. I am very good in writing and reading Katakana and Hiragana as Ive lived in Japan for a few months doing volunteer work (not so much Kanji). Ive also lived in Singapore for a few years where ive found that being able to speak and understand chinese made a lot of difference in the business and tourism industry sector.

I would very much like to manage an international business one day (not a big one) or if not that, be able to work for one but not as a housekeeper. Id like to do admin/office work...maybe even supervise but I would like my degree to help me outrun other potential candidates as competition is fierce in the tourism and management industry. My family and I would like to move to South East Asia where Im from sometime in the future and I dont want to go there empty-handed.

At the moment, I am still working part time and looking after my son with my husband's help. Im afraid i cant give up working as bills need to be paid hence part-time courses are more ideal for me. Ideally, doing a full-time course is what I would like to do and depending on how they are like, I may be able to do it.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter especially from those who are currently attending any of the stated courses listed above. Many thanks!

"At the moment, I am still working part time and looking after my son with my husband's help. Im afraid i cant give up working as bills need to be paid hence part-time courses are more ideal for me. Ideally, doing a full-time course is what I would like to do and depending on how they are like, I may be able to do it."

Just pondering - how do the finances work out taking a full time course with a maintenance loan compared with a part time course while working longer hours?

Would the year abroad be an issue with language courses?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
"At the moment, I am still working part time and looking after my son with my husband's help. Im afraid i cant give up working as bills need to be paid hence part-time courses are more ideal for me. Ideally, doing a full-time course is what I would like to do and depending on how they are like, I may be able to do it."

Just pondering - how do the finances work out taking a full time course with a maintenance loan compared with a part time course while working longer hours?

I have already discussed your concern with student finances at my local college as well as the university. Yes, I will be taking out a student loan but I will only be paying it back if I earn over 25,000K each year which I am not close to earning at the moment so I was advised to take full opportunity of getting back into education and I fully agree with them. I have friends with degrees who still haven't paid their loan back after 5 years of working. Either way, I will be better off studying and getting a degree than working in a job that pays very little for the amount of work that I do. As of the moment, I am still waiting for course lecturers to send me examples of what their full-time schedules are like for their students to give me a better idea of how I can balance my studies and my work and personal life.

As for the year abroad, yes, that will be an issue as I have a 2 year old to look after. My husband can't do it on his own while working 5-6 days a week.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Tulvander12
I have already discussed your concern with student finances at my local college as well as the university. Yes, I will be taking out a student loan but I will only be paying it back if I earn over 25,000K each year which I am not close to earning at the moment so I was advised to take full opportunity of getting back into education and I fully agree with them. I have friends with degrees who still haven't paid their loan back after 5 years of working. Either way, I will be better off studying and getting a degree than working in a job that pays very little for the amount of work that I do. As of the moment, I am still waiting for course lecturers to send me examples of what their full-time schedules are like for their students to give me a better idea of how I can balance my studies and my work and personal life.

As for the year abroad, yes, that will be an issue as I have a 2 year old to look after. My husband can't do it on his own while working 5-6 days a week.

Hi - I think I didn't explain my point properly - you haven't addressed my concern.

As you've noted there is quite a lot of protection with student loans. There is a further consideration. As very few people will ever pay off their loans it tends not to matter how much you borrow once you've started to borrow. The effect of borrowing £80k is generally exactly the same as borrowing £30k.

It can be that taking a full time course if you can get a decent amount of maintenance loan works out better than part time studying (if you wouldn't get as much maintenance loan studying part time and because it can be harder to manage shift patterns to suit studying year after year).
Reply 4
Honestly, it feels a bit like you don't know what you want to do (I know that's the essence of this post, but just to put it into perspective):

You're going from Humanities to either Business, Languages, Marketing or Tourism. All these areas are extremely different.

My advice would be, before going through the process of locking yourself into a course and potentially disliking it, (and subsequently perhaps missing out on further student finance funding if you decide to go back into education at a later stage in life), to do a bit more research.
Reply 5
If you are confident you can do well and enjoy languages, id absolutely go for that one. That's an invaluable skill to have these days.
Original post by ajj2000

what work do you have passion in....take that course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending