The Student Room Group

Functional skills in maths and english

Good afternoon all. I wondered if anyone had any experience of finding an online provider of these courses and how it was funded? I am thinking I can access the advanced learner loan to do these as hope to go on to do undergraduate degree in nursing. Any help at all would be appreciated- thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Good afternoon all. I wondered if anyone had any experience of finding an online provider of these courses and how it was funded? I am thinking I can access the advanced learner loan to do these as hope to go on to do undergraduate degree in nursing. Any help at all would be appreciated- thank you!

I’ve just been given a conditional offer for undergrad nursing, based on me getting my C In maths and English, tests are booked with passfunctionalskills for mid feb! X
Original post by Karlielkc

I’ve just been given a conditional offer for undergrad nursing, based on me getting my C In maths and English, tests are booked with passfunctionalskills for mid feb! X

Oh wonderful that’s great news - good luck! So how long have you given yourself to study each subject (duration wise) before you sit the exams? I was looking at them too as the most reasonably priced I’ve seen. I have just checked with the university they’ll accept but it’s a recognised examining body so don’t suspect it’ll be an issue.

How are you finding the courses? Accessibility online, layout, level? I have an iPad so was wondering if I’d need a laptop maybe?
Reply 3
Oh wonderful that’s great news - good luck! So how long have you given yourself to study each subject (duration wise) before you sit the exams? I was looking at them too as the most reasonably priced I’ve seen. I have just checked with the university they’ll accept but it’s a recognised examining body so don’t suspect it’ll be an issue.

How are you finding the courses? Accessibility online, layout, level? I have an iPad so was wondering if I’d need a laptop maybe?

Honestly it’s not too bad, I bought 2 books, and I’ve bought the exams, I’ve done my mocks and coming out with 80%. I struggled with things at first but currently revising for mínimum 2 hours a night, with a new mock paper every few days, I booked it Thursday just gone, exams are:
15th: SLC English - a presentation on a topic they will give me this Thursday.
16th: English reading and writing
20th maths.

It’s easier to access on a laptop but works on an iPad, but for your exam you’ll need a laptop or desktop with a camera as the test monitor will need to see you as you do your test and share your screen. Toughest part is doing your workings on the screen as if you’re anything like me intent to doodle and find my way to the correct answer through trial and error and reverse checking if I’m unsure! X

Honestly it’s not too bad, I bought 2 books, and I’ve bought the exams, I’ve done my mocks and coming out with 80%. I struggled with things at first but currently revising for mínimum 2 hours a night, with a new mock paper every few days, I booked it Thursday just gone, exams are:
20th maths.

It’s easier to access on a laptop but works on an iPad, but for your exam you’ll need a laptop or desktop with a camera as the test monitor will need to see you as you do your test and share your screen. Toughest part is doing your workings on the screen as if you’re anything like me intent to doodle and find my way to the correct answer through trial and error and reverse checking if I’m unsure! X

Thanks for the reply - this is really helpful and reassuring. So did you get the course, mocks and exams bundle? I’m thinking this as lessons would be useful to know what to study and how do do the things you’re not sure on. Not worried about the English so much (don’t be too confident me!), but maths I am! GCSEs were a long time ago!
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply - this is really helpful and reassuring. So did you get the course, mocks and exams bundle? I’m thinking this as lessons would be useful to know what to study and how do do the things you’re not sure on. Not worried about the English so much (don’t be too confident me!), but maths I am! GCSEs were a long time ago!

Likewise mine were 20 years ago!! I’ve not got the course, as when you book the exam you get lots of reason material and videos. Also if you check out their tiktok page they post exam example questions and work through them so that helps!

But you get your mock papers to try so you can see what kind of things are in them, I bough the CGP level 2 functional skills books from Amazon next day delivery and I’m working through those - super good! Struggling remember the formula to fill a cylinder though something like V- H omni r squared? X
I think when ive completed my access course hopefully in march i’ll look into buying the exam & course for maths functional skills, how long are you guys taking to study & complete the course ?? I’ve not studied maths for atleast 10 years and i have really bad maths anxiety haha
Reply 7
Original post by Idklolhelpme
I think when ive completed my access course hopefully in march i’ll look into buying the exam & course for maths functional skills, how long are you guys taking to study & complete the course ?? I’ve not studied maths for atleast 10 years and i have really bad maths anxiety haha

The anxiety is what you’ll struggle to control, but in my opinion study what you can, hit the main topics, remind yourself of long multiplication, percentages, volumes, fractions and decimals conversion.

I booked my test Thursday just gone, for the 15th 16th and 20th feb. I work well under pressure and if I don’t succeed I try til I do as can resit 2 weeks later.

I’d look for past papers with who you’re planning on sitting it with to get a grasp on topics x
(edited 2 months ago)
The anxiety is what you’ll struggle to control, but in my opinion study what you can, hit the main topics, remind yourself of long multiplication, percentages, volumes, fractions and decimals conversion.

I booked my test Thursday just gone, for the 15th 16th and 20th feb. I work well under pressure and if I don’t succeed I try til I do as can resit 2 weeks later.

I’d look for past papers with who you’re planning on sitting it with to get a grasp on topics x

Thankyou! My maths anxiety is so bad I overthink everything that’s why I still haven’t got my maths qualifcation 🤣 i’ll try my best though x

And also good luck!!! 🙂

Likewise mine were 20 years ago!! I’ve not got the course, as when you book the exam you get lots of reason material and videos. Also if you check out their tiktok page they post exam example questions and work through them so that helps!

But you get your mock papers to try so you can see what kind of things are in them, I bough the CGP level 2 functional skills books from Amazon next day delivery and I’m working through those - super good! Struggling remember the formula to fill a cylinder though something like V- H omni r squared? X

Oh my word that sounds fun! (Not!). Yes a long time ago - pride myself on getting by but recall seeing a friend do FS maths and struggle. I was like “thank god I don’t have to do that for my job” .. and here I am! Not laughing now! But sure it’s not impossible. Are the books you got worth recommending? I’d like to get started asap I think in case I need to do resits. Need get it all done and dusted by aug. Much sooner in ideal world. Dreading the maths!
Reply 11
Original post by Idklolhelpme
Thankyou! My maths anxiety is so bad I overthink everything that’s why I still haven’t got my maths qualifcation 🤣 i’ll try my best though x

That’s all you can do, and if you need to do it again Jen that’s what you do til it’s passed 🙌🏻 just keep going, you’ve got this! I’ll let you know how I get on! All we can do is try! X
Reply 12
Oh my word that sounds fun! (Not!). Yes a long time ago - pride myself on getting by but recall seeing a friend do FS maths and struggle. I was like “thank god I don’t have to do that for my job” .. and here I am! Not laughing now! But sure it’s not impossible. Are the books you got worth recommending? I’d like to get started asap I think in case I need to do resits. Need get it all done and dusted by aug. Much sooner in ideal world. Dreading the maths!

I’ve actually enjoyed them! It’s just the CGP ones on Amazon. Answers in the back, test papers and examples and questions throughout, also you get a copy of it to read online too if that’s easier with each purchase of the books 🙌🏻

I said exactly the same as you! And here I am. Though I believe we are all totally different people from when we are 16! X
Reply 13
I’ve actually enjoyed them! It’s just the CGP ones on Amazon. Answers in the back, test papers and examples and questions throughout, also you get a copy of it to read online too if that’s easier with each purchase of the books 🙌🏻

I said exactly the same as you! And here I am. Though I believe we are all totally different people from when we are 16! X
Hey, what was the SLC exam like? Do others take part in it or is it just you and the examiner? Its defo the thing I’m most nervous about 😬 x
Original post by Tttt444
Hey, what was the SLC exam like? Do others take part in it or is it just you and the examiner? Its defo the thing I’m most nervous about 😬 x
Hi! It was really calm to be honest! It was me and 4 others on the zoom with an invigilator too. I’m glad to say I passed all of my English exams (SLC is a pass or fail) reading and writing have their own pass levels - I got 80% on both so that’s good!

Just waiting on my maths results now, due back by Tuesday.

You find out a week before your SLC what your presentation is on, however you can do a PowerPoint if you’d like, only 2 out of our group did. X
Reply 15
Congrats 🙌 I’m sure you will have smashed the maths exams too!

Thanks…when did you start studying for them? X
Original post by Tttt444

Literally booked my exam for 2 weeks after I knew I needed them 😊 so 2 weeks revision then took my exams!

I’ll keep you updated on my maths results x
Original post by Tttt444

Update! Passed my maths too 🙌🏻 so glad that’s done! X
20th maths.
Hi,
I’ve booked with ThinkOnlineTraining - my exam is next week. Who was your exam board? Mine is OpenAwards, I’m most nervous for the speaking and listening - were you allowed a powerpoint for the presentation? With bullet points on as long as you expand the points? Thank you!
Original post by azzyb524
Hi,
I’ve booked with ThinkOnlineTraining - my exam is next week. Who was your exam board? Mine is OpenAwards, I’m most nervous for the speaking and listening - were you allowed a powerpoint for the presentation? With bullet points on as long as you expand the points? Thank you!
Hi!

Mine was with openawards booked with passfunctionalskills. You can do a presentation (PowerPoint) to talk through almost like pointers and bullets just not word for word.

It will you be and up to 4 other students of a very varied age and location though all the same brief. Just be mindful of the questions you ask, make sure they are related and suitable to the project idea they’ve spoken on. Think on your feet for questions they ask you too during the q and a section. I’m always happy to help if you like x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending