The Student Room Group

Stat- Probability

8BE28D38-B192-4F12-9686-BAA41BBD04F0.jpeg
For so question b, the answer is the two events are not independent. I know P(A and B)=P(A)xP(B) if the two events are independent. But for this particular question, how do you determine whether they are independent or how do you apply the equation?
Original post by Kaelyn327
For so question b, the answer is the two events are not independent. I know P(A and B)=P(A)xP(B) if the two events are independent. But for this particular question, how do you determine whether they are independent or how do you apply the equation?

If you've done the tree diagram, just add up the probability of the results which fit the question (under par on A or B). To get the probability of each path you multiply the probabilities of the branches.

You don't need to worry about independence for this problem because the probabilities you've been given are that he gets par or under given that he did or didn't on the first. The B you're talking about is the unconditional probability of getting par on the second hole which is a separate problem.
Original post by Kaelyn327

Question says "state" and is one mark, so generally no working out would be required. You don't need to apply the equation, as such.

If two events are independent, then the probability of one happening doesn't depend on whether the other happens or not.

Here we can clearly see the probability of par or under on the second hole changes depending on whether he scored par or under on the first, so they're not independent.

Quick Reply

Latest