The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL CS STAT exam. Who needs to give this?

This year, UCL will be inviting some applicants to sit the STAT Special Tertiary Admissions Testrun by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) which we will use alongside the UCAS application to assess applicants in their suitability for this programme. Please be aware not all applicants will be invited to take the test.

^from the website

so based on this info, who typically would need to give this exam? if you don't get invited to give the exam does that mean you don't get the offer?

Scroll to see replies

I too have the same question, I'm also looking at Imperial College London and am wondering if the STAT for UCL is easier to sit than the STEP for Imperial
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
i have the same question as well
Reply 3
That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not sure if there's a reason why I might have to sit the test? Is it like a randomly picked thing? I already do Maths and Further Maths for context
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by bears15
That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not sure if there's a reason why I might have to sit the test? Is it like a randomly picked thing? I already do Maths and Further Maths for context

did you receive an email? i’m wondering if it was only sent out to the shortlist or if every applicant received it…
By the looks of it, it sounds like a correspondence sent to all applicants and works in the following way:

Wait for all applications to come in by January deadline (they may just start creating a shortlist before this)

Cut down applicants to a shortlist (referred to as the shortlisted applicants)

Send rejections to everybody who wasn't shortlisted

Get those shortlisted to sit the STAT

Use the STAT score to inform further decision making

Send offers after people have done the STAT (probably late April, after Easter break?)

Obviously they weren't entirely clear about the process but that's my interpretation although there may be a potential of just offers with conditions based on your STAT score.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
By the looks of it, it sounds like a correspondence sent to all applicants and works in the following way:

Wait for all applications to come in by January deadline (they may just start creating a shortlist before this)

Cut down applicants to a shortlist (referred to as the shortlisted applicants)

Send rejections to everybody who wasn't shortlisted

Get those shortlisted to sit the STAT

Use the STAT score to inform further decision making

Send offers after people have done the STAT (probably late April, after Easter break?)

Obviously they weren't entirely clear about the process but that's my interpretation although there may be a potential of just offers with conditions based on your STAT score.

can the university shortlist candidates who may not as high grades but the university sees potential in them besides their academic achievements or are the shortlisted applicants the people who are very strong applicants
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by trev06
can the university shortlist candidates who may not as high grades but the university sees potential in them besides their academic achievements or are the shortlisted applicants the people who are very strong applicants

Shortlisted candidates would probably consist of whomever they think are suitable by their criteria. This test may allow for some leeway with grades (as long as you have achieved the minimum required) since they can combine test performance with everything else. Given how competitive their CS course is, I still would think you need both good grades and a strong personal statement/reference to be shortlisted.
Reply 8
Original post by pineconess
did you receive an email? i’m wondering if it was only sent out to the shortlist or if every applicant received it…

Yeah I got an email and I'm so confused by it, I don't know if they were telling me if I were shortlisted or not because their info in it was just so vague and general, it's just what they have on the website
What is this exam on? Are they any details because there is some stuff about english on the STAT website, which I wouldn't think would be tested for studying compsci.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #2
I too have the same question, I'm also looking at Imperial College London and am wondering if the STAT for UCL is easier to sit than the STEP for Imperial

One million per cent easier to sit STAT then STEP
Original post by Anonymous #5
What is this exam on? Are they any details because there is some stuff about english on the STAT website, which I wouldn't think would be tested for studying compsci.

Yh I'm trying to find out more about the test too. Couldn't find anything on UCL's website :frown:

If anyone know what the test is actually about and tips on how to prepare, would be much appreciated 😁

Also does anyone know when the STAT test takes place? I think I read somewhere that it's March/April, but I'm not sure.
Original post by Anonymous #5

i checked the official website and they had a link to a preparation booklet. looking at the booklet, the english section is literally just writing 2 short essays to some opinions? kind of reminds me of something you'd write in a languages exam, like french or smth
Original post by Anonymous #6
i checked the official website and they had a link to a preparation booklet. looking at the booklet, the english section is literally just writing 2 short essays to some opinions? kind of reminds me of something you'd write in a languages exam, like french or smth

I think we'll just have the other section...not the English one
anyone heard back from UCL? it's been a few weeks since I submitted my UCAS
Original post by Anonymous #7

They'll probably start sending test invites to those shortlisted in February (since this is after the equal consideration deadline and they said the STAT tests are scheduled for March/April)
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous #7

in the link below they said they'll start sending out decisions/invitations to the STAT exam in late Feb:

"UCL will email shortlisted Computer Science BSc/MEng applicants to invite them to register for the STAT from the end of February onwards. We will shortlist candidates based on the strength of their academic profile and Personal Statement, as assessed through their UCAS application."

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/school-teachers-and-counsellors/sites/prospective_students_school_teachers_and_counsellors/files/stat_computer_science_test_2024_cycle.pdf
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ErdemG
One million per cent easier to sit STAT then STEP

Agreed. STEP is next-level.
Anyone receive an invitation to do STAT yet?
Nope...I was wondering the same thing tho😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending