The Student Room Group

Do Guardian readings think they are reading the truth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

...:sigh: Does that year look like 2018 to you?
You don't have to read the Guardian, but avoiding it won't make your shithole life any better man.
Reply 22
Original post by k.n.h.

Also https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77271562&postcount=20
Original post by Airplanebee2
95% of terrorism today in 2018 is from ISIS, Boko Haram and Taliban according to Wikipedia article called “terrorism”...

So do you have statistics to show that in 2018 (across the globe presumably) 95% of terrorist attacks were perpetrated by Muslims? And which specific Guardian article are you taking issue with?
Original post by Doonesbury
And, pray tell, what date was on that chart? 2018? Don't think so...

Also that's not a chart of all terrorism, it's just the main groups in that year.

If you total the number of deaths caused by those groups it's 16,475. Whereas in total there were 28,328 deaths by terrorism worldwide. So even from your groups it's 58% of global terrorism, not 95%.

Source: https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2015/257526.htm

And how many of them were in the West, as opposed to local terrorism in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and Nigeria?

Even with a generous assumption about what ideology is behind the remaining terrorism whence you say if not in that figure, we still have a very clear leader and it would not be surprising at all if the remainder followed the same pattern.
Original post by k.n.h.

By 2018 I meant today as opposed to 1970 - 2018 which shows a different demographic.
Reply 26
Even with a generous assumption about what ideology is behind the remaining terrorism whence you say if not in that figure, we still have a very clear leader and it would not be surprising at all if the remainder followed the same pattern.

Do you know what year it is yet?

Leader? Is this a race? If so, they have a lot of catching up to do in terms of causing deaths.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 19.45.26.jpg

2nd from the bottom...
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-of-deaths-by-cause-2016
Reply 27
By 2018 I meant today as opposed to 1970 - 2018 which spoils my narrative.

FIFY.

So, biased, much?
Original post by Axiomasher
So do you have statistics to show that in 2018 (across the globe presumably) 95% of terrorist attacks were perpetrated by Muslims? And which specific Guardian article are you taking issue with?

Yes I do, look at the Wikipedia list of terrorists incidents in 2018 and see the “perpetrator” column.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_January_2018
Do you know what year it is yet?

Leader? Is this a race? If so, they have a lot of catching up to do in terms of causing deaths.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 19.45.26.jpg

2nd from the bottom...
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-of-deaths-by-cause-2016

I don’t disputes that - the question I am asking is why Guardian readers want to read something that denies empirical facts.
Reply 30
I don’t disputes that - the question I am asking is why Guardian readers want to read something that denies empirical facts.

Which brings us back to @Axiomasher's challenge to you... which Guardian article denies these "empirical facts"? Linky?

Preferably to one in the right year for a change...
(edited 6 years ago)
Which brings us back to @Axiomasher's challenge to you... which Guardian article denies these "empirical facts"? Linky?

Preferably to one in the right year for a change...

This one....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/27/should-blame-islam-terrorism

“Many people chose to ‘privilege’ (puke) the KATIE Hopkinsins of this world rather than really find out.....”. And if we change the timeframe for the last 50 years, voila we get a different result.....

We really find out rather than listen to the Guardian.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes I do, look at the Wikipedia list of terrorists incidents in 2018 and see the “perpetrator” column.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_January_2018

Um, that list for January 2018 identifies itself as 'some of' - i.e. it's not a complete list. Which Guardian article are you taking issue with?
Um, that list for January 2018 identifies itself as 'some of' - i.e. it's not a complete list. Which Guardian article are you taking issue with?

In real maths you can estimate a population based on a sample. That’s a good enough sample.

In liberal left terms maths is racist (I kid you not)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/its-not-just-a-joke-anymore-theyre-actually-claiming-math-is-racist

And the Guardian article is linked above.

What I understand is that the left argue for the sake of arguing even when they are wrong. It’s either sort of lexical game or maybe an act of defiance. Very very absurd behaviour.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
This one....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/27/should-blame-islam-terrorism

“Many people chose to ‘privilege’ (puke) the KATIE Hopkinsins of this world rather than really find out.....”. And if we change the timeframe for the last 50 years, voila we get a different result.....

We really find out rather than listen to the Guardian.

Where in the article does it say “Many people chose to ‘privilege’ (puke) the KATIE Hopkinsins of this world rather than really find out.....”. ?

And the 1970 to date chart basically makes the same point as that article. Back then it was mostly Christians causing the terrorism. Should we blame all Irish Catholics for the IRA (which certainly some people tried to)?
Reply 35
argue for the sake of arguing even when they are wrong.

:toofunny:
In real maths you can estimate a population based on a sample. That’s a good enough sample.

In liberal left terms maths is racist (I kid you not)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/its-not-just-a-joke-anymore-theyre-actually-claiming-math-is-racist

And the Guardian article is linked above.

Ok, so you cannot actually produce as an empirical fact that 95% of terrorist attacks in 2018 were perpetrated by Muslims. The Guardian article you've referenced challenges the idea that terrorism perpetrated by Muslims is down to Islam itself (i.e.there's a context to be found in the same way IRA terrorism wasn't just about being Roman Catholic as such). The author, reasonably enough, notes that the history of Islamic terrorism is very new in relation to terrorism more generally (though Islam has been around for over a thousand years), hence the scepticism that it's just about Islam as some commentators would have it. As I read the article there's no obvious denial that Islamic terrorism is perpetrated by actual Muslims.
Reply 37
Ok, so you cannot actually produce as an empirical fact that 95% of terrorist attacks in 2018 were perpetrated by Muslims. The Guardian article you've referenced challenges the idea that terrorism perpetrated by Muslims is down to Islam itself (i.e.there's a context to be found in the same way IRA terrorism wasn't just about being Roman Catholic as such). The author, reasonably enough, notes that the history of Islamic terrorism is very new in relation to terrorism more generally (though Islam has been around for over a thousand years), hence the scepticism that it's just about Islam as some commentators would have it. As I read the article there's no obvious denial that Islamic terrorism is perpetrated by actual Muslims.

PRSOM

Sure I can prove my point. I take as my source the Department of Homeland Security/ University of Maryland Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, figures for 2014:

http://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_GTD_OverviewofTerrorism2014_Aug2015.pdf

Please see the perpetrators table on page 4.

I added up all the groups that are Islamic (and this excludes a few ow impact groups like FARC and Communist Party of India). I left out the groups I was not sure about.

This leaves:

25,985 fatalities (Clearly Islamic terrorism)
27,824 total fatalities
======
93.4% (Minimum percentage of fatalities from Islamic terrorism)

Raw data:

Total Fatalities
2013‐2014
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) / AQI 1263 9596 179% 411%
Taliban 1038 4194 34% 53%
Al‐Shabaab 865 1783 170% 141%
Boko Haram 493 7112 111% 311%
Donetsk People's Republic 325 1005
New People's Army (NPA) 291 190 36% 22%
Al‐Qa`ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) 285 889 99% 140%
Communist Party of India Maoist / Maoists 324 204 52% ‐1%
Tehrik‐i‐Taliban Pakistan (TTP) 179 974 13% 30%
Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) 163 88 54% ‐19%
Huthis 134 234 538% 284%
Luhansk People's Republic 110 173
Baloch Republican Army (BRA) 103 52 312% 79%
Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement (BIFM) 88 98 31% 72%
Al‐Nusrah Front 82 838 82% 19%
Communist Party of India Maoist (CPI‐Maoist) 70 88 49% 1%
Hamas (Islamic Resistance Movement) 66 71 6500% 3450%
Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) 61 21 190% 50%
National Liberation Army of Colombia (ELN) 60 57 200% 50%
Ansar Bayt al‐Maqdis (Ansar Jerusalem) 60 157 329% 214%
Reply 39
Sure I can prove my point. I take as my source the Department of Homeland Security/ University of Maryland Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, figures for 2014:

http://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_GTD_OverviewofTerrorism2014_Aug2015.pdf

Please see the perpetrators table on page 4.

I added up all the groups that are Islamic (and this excludes a few ow impact groups like FARC and Communist Party of India). I left out the groups I was not sure about.

This leaves:

25,985 fatalities (Clearly Islamic terrorism)
27,824 total fatalities
======
93.4% (Minimum percentage of fatalities from Islamic terrorism)

Raw data:

Total Fatalities
2013‐2014
Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) / AQI 1263 9596 179% 411%
Taliban 1038 4194 34% 53%
Al‐Shabaab 865 1783 170% 141%
Boko Haram 493 7112 111% 311%
Donetsk People's Republic 325 1005
New People's Army (NPA) 291 190 36% 22%
Al‐Qa`ida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) 285 889 99% 140%
Communist Party of India Maoist / Maoists 324 204 52% ‐1%
Tehrik‐i‐Taliban Pakistan (TTP) 179 974 13% 30%
Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) 163 88 54% ‐19%
Huthis 134 234 538% 284%
Luhansk People's Republic 110 173
Baloch Republican Army (BRA) 103 52 312% 79%
Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement (BIFM) 88 98 31% 72%
Al‐Nusrah Front 82 838 82% 19%
Communist Party of India Maoist (CPI‐Maoist) 70 88 49% 1%
Hamas (Islamic Resistance Movement) 66 71 6500% 3450%
Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) 61 21 190% 50%
National Liberation Army of Colombia (ELN) 60 57 200% 50%
Ansar Bayt al‐Maqdis (Ansar Jerusalem) 60 157 329% 214%

What's the headline number of terrorist deaths on the page you linked?

In 2014, more than 16,800 terrorist attacks took place worldwide, causing more than 43,500 deaths and more than 40,900 injuries, including perpetrator casualties.

And you say 26,000 were Islamic.

26,000/43,500 = 60%

And where in the Guardian article does it mention a % of terrorism that is Islamic anyway? Which fact are you attempting to disprove (unsuccessfully)?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending