The Student Room Group

Choosing uni for pharmacy

Hey, I’m holding offers for pharmacy at Birmingham, Sunderland & Reading. I’m trying to decide which to firm and have as backup between them all. It’d be helpful to have some comparisons as I haven’t frequently visited all the areas and mostly go off what people say about them. I currently live in London. And yeh pls help me!
Original post by Nxtd4
Hey, I’m holding offers for pharmacy at Birmingham, Sunderland & Reading. I’m trying to decide which to firm and have as backup between them all. It’d be helpful to have some comparisons as I haven’t frequently visited all the areas and mostly go off what people say about them. I currently live in London. And yeh pls help me!

Haven't applied to any Northern universities unfortunately, so you may need to get help elsewhere. That may be YouTube (which helped me decided my place for pharmacy).

Reading generally looks nice, however I had that as my last resort compared to all of my 5 offers. Reading is quite a diverse area with a lot to do and I assume it should be an easy fit for a great social life. I also suggest looking online for reviews on the university in question (I suggest looking on sites that have a diverse set of responses, not just all 5 stars) - they tend to give an informative view.

Good luck on your decision :smile:.
Original post by Nxtd4

Hi there,
Congratulations on receiving all your offers!
When researching universities and where to firm, it's important to consider a few different factors.

When it comes to the course, look into the modules, the course accreditations as well as the employability rate after graduating. You can explore the course in more depth by visiting university websites as well as taking part in any online open days/virtual tours.
The university as a whole is important too. What support is on offer, where do they sit in the league tables, what funding is available, the campus size- does it feel like a university you can see yourself enjoying?
Outside of the course, it's important to also consider other factors that will contribute to your time as a student such as the location of the university- do you want to live somewhere quiet or more lively? Consider the social environment and what is on offer as a student such as clubs and societies that you can join, is it affordable, are the transport links good?

Ranked as a top 50 university in the Guardian University Guide 2023, we are proud of our long-established commitment to widening participation, our world-leading research, and public and private sector collaborations.
Sunderland provides the perfect fusion of city and seaside living, it's a fantastic part of the country and a great choice for somewhere to live and study.
Our highly-regarded MPharm course is the only undergraduate qualification in the UK which leads to professional registration as a pharmacist. This course has 86% Overall Satisfaction and is ranked 10th in the UK (Guardian University Guide, 2023). General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) figures also show that the University of Sunderland is consistently one of the top-ranking Schools of Pharmacy in the National Registration Assessment. The pass rate in 2019 was 89.82% which is significantly above the national average of 72.33%

Do as much research as you can and chat to current students where possible. Here is a link to access our student ambassadors and ask them anything you would like to know about life at Sunderland.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi hi,

Congrats on your offers!!
I’m currently a Londoner studying for my final year at uni of Birmingham and I love it! As a city girl I don’t think I wouldn’t enjoyed going to my other choices as much as I’ve loved Birmingham cos it’s like a mini london! Factor in how much you enjoy going out to like different restaurants and bars cos the countryside unis will be way more limited! Also what do you like doing for fun? Countryside unis won’t necessarily have things like crazy golf or gaming bars or huge shopping centres so think about that too! Also worth investigating if you know people who are also thinking of going to each uni (so you’ll already have friends .. or people you’ll want to avoid haha). Also if you want more specific shops like a Chinese supermarket or Arab supermarket then you should check if your potential unis have good affordable ones near by!! This is something none of my other friends factored in and were gutted when they couldn’t get the Asian snacks they wanted haha!

Ps not sure if you’re a drinker but as a final year student I really wish I knew about this app that gives u a free drink every night, sooner - https://share.dusk.app/w9jBSZWYGwb (pls use my sign up code MEGAN-6F1D so we can both get 500 points LOL ty!!)
Reply 4
Original post by hotgirlscholar
Hi hi,

Congrats on your offers!!
I’m currently a Londoner studying for my final year at uni of Birmingham and I love it! As a city girl I don’t think I wouldn’t enjoyed going to my other choices as much as I’ve loved Birmingham cos it’s like a mini london! Factor in how much you enjoy going out to like different restaurants and bars cos the countryside unis will be way more limited! Also what do you like doing for fun? Countryside unis won’t necessarily have things like crazy golf or gaming bars or huge shopping centres so think about that too! Also worth investigating if you know people who are also thinking of going to each uni (so you’ll already have friends .. or people you’ll want to avoid haha). Also if you want more specific shops like a Chinese supermarket or Arab supermarket then you should check if your potential unis have good affordable ones near by!! This is something none of my other friends factored in and were gutted when they couldn’t get the Asian snacks they wanted haha!

Ps not sure if you’re a drinker but as a final year student I really wish I knew about this app that gives u a free drink every night, sooner - https://share.dusk.app/w9jBSZWYGwb (pls use my sign up code MEGAN-6F1D so we can both get 500 points LOL ty!!)

Heyyy could you tell me how you find pharmacy at UOB? I’ve heard the exams are more intense than other universities and how is the teaching?
Original post by Lance10002
Heyyy could you tell me how you find pharmacy at UOB? I’ve heard the exams are more intense than other universities and how is the teaching?

Hi I do biology not pharmacy sorry!! Maybe try find someone on Instagram ? Xx
Original post by Nxtd4

Hi @Nxtd4

Congratulations on your offers!

You could write a list of pros and cons for each university, factoring in things such as living costs, entry requirements and the course specification.
As you have said you have not has the chance to visit the areas, have you had a look to see if you can visit the campus virtually on the university website? This may help with making a choice.
You could also have a look at the course structure and think about which one you prefer and which structure would suit you best.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending