The Student Room Group

Please help with verbal reasoning

All the other sections are fine. I'm consistent with the marks even under time pressure.

I just don't think it's possible to read all the passages and do each question within 30s whilst retaining the info.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Mad Man
All the other sections are fine. I'm consistent with the marks even under time pressure.

I just don't think it's possible to read all the passages and do each question within 30s whilst retaining the info.

Any advice?

Practice Practice Practice. A good if slightly odd trick is to buy a newspaper every day (something nice and wordy, bonus points if it’s a bit dull - the Financial Times would be a good bet, although the Times, Telegraph or Guardian/Observer would do too) give yourself a time limit to read the articles (say 30s for a shorter one or 60 for a long one - be reasonable with yourself though, because some are long) and then jot down the key points in say 4 sentences. Or even better find yourself an accomplice, get them to read it before you and write questions for you to answer, then you skim read it and answer them. It’ll be boring as anything, but it should help you with the fast and analytical style required from the test. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending