The Student Room Group

Geometry

In triangle ABC, X lies on AB and Y lies on AC such that BY bisects ∠ABC and CX bisects ∠ACB. BY and CX intersect at a point P. Suppose that P lies on the circumcircle of triangle AXY . If AX = 15 and AY = 24, find AP^2.

So far I've worked out that angle BAC = 60 degrees, and after doing some trig computations, I was also able to find that angle XPA = 60 - arctan(3*sqrt(3)/13) and YPA = 60 + arctan(3*sqrt(3)/13), but AP still seems out of reach. Any assistance would be most appreciated.
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Prasiortle
In triangle ABC, X lies on AB and Y lies on AC such that BY bisects ∠ABC and CX bisects ∠ACB. BY and CX intersect at a point P. Suppose that P lies on the circumcircle of triangle AXY . If AX = 15 and AY = 24, find AP^2.

So far I've worked out that angle BAC = 60 degrees, and after doing some trig computations, I was also able to find that angle XPA = 60 - arctan(3*sqrt(3)/13) and YPA = 60 + arctan(3*sqrt(3)/13), but AP still seems out of reach. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

How did u work out BAC?
Reply 3
Original post by RickHendricks
How did u work out BAC?

By simple angle chasing. Anyway, if you're not good enough at geometry to even see how to find angle BAC, I doubt you will be able to help me.

Someone posted the idea of joining X and Y by a straight line, and working from there, but unfortunately they've now deleted it. Although their subsequent working was flawed, the initial move was sound.

And XY=21 by cosine rule on AXY

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
By simple angle chasing. Anyway, if you're not good enough at geometry to even see how to find angle BAC, I doubt you will be able to help me.

don't have to be hostile. I was simply asking how you found it, since AXY is not a triangle.

Quick Reply

Latest