The Student Room Group

Is HIV a disease?

I can't get a straight answer from google and I'm trying to write a biology essay that's titled "Causes of disease in humans"
Original post by libertykamp
I can't get a straight answer from google and I'm trying to write a biology essay that's titled "Causes of disease in humans"

HIV is the infection - the virus. AIDS is the disease caused by unmanaged HIV infection.
Original post by TRAnders
HIV is the infection - the virus. AIDS is the disease caused by unmanaged HIV infection.

Isn't AIDS a syndrome not a disease?
Reply 3
you couldn't get a straight answer? here you go.
Yes, it is a disease.
HIV/AIDS is a disease.
Original post by libertykamp
Isn't AIDS a syndrome not a disease?

HIV is the name of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, just as Homo sapiens is the name of the human species.

When infected by HIV, the body can respond in a number of ways. In some cases, the infection is completely suppressed, just as sometimes, we can get infected by a flu virus and never even know we had it - our immune system clears it spontaneously.

Sometimes, the infection takes hold and produces various signs of damage to our systems.

There are a number of possible diagnoses that we can have as a result of HIV infection, but by far the best known is called Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome - AIDS. You are diagnosed as having AIDS when you have HIV infection, plus a variety of "AIDS defining conditions", such as:

- Candidiasis of the esophagus, bronchi, trachea, or lungs [(but NOT the mouth (thrush)]
- Coccidioidomycosis, disseminated or extrapulmonary
- Cryptosporidiosis, chronic intestinal (greater than one month's duration)
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis (with loss of vision)......

(....the list goes on)

So HIV is the causative agent for a number of diseases, but is not a disease in itself. AIDS is called a syndrome because it presents as a collection of different signs and symptoms; the underlying cause is infection with HIV, which triggers or causes other infections or disease processes to take hold.

Quick Reply

Latest