The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of my limited knowledge, I voted Rousseau because of his contradictory ideas and his views on women
Reply 101
18_til_I_die
Of my limited knowledge, I voted Rousseau because of his contradictory ideas and his views on women

Which of Rousseau's ideas do you take to be contradictory?
Reply 102
CartesianFart
How about this: Everyone is a philosopher.

I'm beginning to see why it was remiss of the O.P. to omit you from this poll.
Reply 103
I love Dawkins, but would probably say he is also the worst "philosopher" up there, but in that crowd I think Dawkins would probably say that too..he's after all a scientists interested in exploring things which happen to have a philosophical value

THE WORST philosopher is undoubtedly Kant - his theories are..self defeating...overly complex...need more theories to back them up..and sometimes downright stupid (the human body is perfect...hence cancer)
please stick Kant up on that list
Reply 104
Hmm, not undoubtedly, given as he's generally regarded as one of the greats and was at least hugely influential. Not an objectivist by any chance, are you?
Reply 105
I die a little inside when people criticise Rawls. :frown:
RawJoh1
I die a little inside when people criticise Rawls. :frown:

From Wikipedia: "Margaret and John had a shared interest in indexing; they spent their first holiday together writing the index for a book on Nietzsche, and Rawls wrote the index for A Theory of Justice himself."

This is possibly the weirdest thing I have ever heard.
Reply 107
DrunkHamster
From Wikipedia: "Margaret and John had a shared interest in indexing; they spent their first holiday together writing the index for a book on Nietzsche, and Rawls wrote the index for A Theory of Justice himself."

Sounds like an interesting holiday nonetheless...

I don't like Rawls, simply because I find Politcal Philosophy about as intriguing as sandpapering my testes.

I literally fell asleep on numerous occasions during my Politcal Phil. lectures (but still got a first for the module of course :wink: )

One of the few things which did sustain my consciousness however was the lecturers very fashionable combination of Marx style facial hair, sandals without socks and jeans that only just reached his ankles - one couldn't help but sit and wonder how his wife let him out of the house in the mornings.

Someone once told me that perhaps it was the monotonous tone of the lecturer which induced tiredness, so I bought Rawls' 'Lectures on the History of Political Philosophy' - it is currently supporting the broken leg of my workstation chair (I kid you not)
Reply 108
Dawkins probably since he is not a philosopher but an evolutionary biologist. Hardly surprising really.
Reply 109
Sidhe
Dawkins probably since he is not a philosopher but an evolutionary biologist. Hardly surprising really.

And that is why Dawkins should stick to Biology and stop publishing books with idiotic titles like the God Delusion and expecting the world of Philosophy to fall over in astonishment and proclaim 'good god, why didn't we think of that!'

:p:

Like I said before, although most people don't see him as a philosopher, he styles himself as such and gets his head in on philosophical debates/lectures etc - thus, he should be quite prepared to be voted 'worst philosopher'
Reply 110
I wouldn't argue with that. He should do what most scientists do, ignore the more delusional amongst the religious, instead of giving them credence by even bothering to argue with them. Probably needs to spend a great deal more time reading the philosophers of the renaissance-modern era before he attempts any sort of real criticism.
Kant's not on there. He should be. He's a d*ck.
Oddjob39A
I don't like Rawls, simply because I find Politcal Philosophy about as intriguing as sandpapering my testes.

I literally fell asleep on numerous occasions during my Politcal Phil. lectures (but still got a first for the module of course :wink: )

Someone once told me that perhaps it was the monotonous tone of the lecturer which induced tiredness, so I bought Rawls' 'Lectures on the History of Political Philosophy' - it is currently supporting the broken leg of my workstation chair (I kid you not)

I expect the number of books you read by Rawls is strongly positively correlated with frustration towards political philosophy; for all of his innovation, he just isn't that great a writer. Now, if only you had read Anarchy, State and Utopia!
Profesh
I'm beginning to see why it was remiss of the O.P. to omit you from this poll.
Why is that so?
DrunkHamster
I expect the number of books you read by Rawls is strongly positively correlated with frustration towards political philosophy; for all of his innovation, he just isn't that great a writer. Now, if only you had read Anarchy, State and Utopia!

I'll second this; I mean, I can't buy it because from the word go it's based on premises I don't accept ("Individuals have rights, and there...") but his style is fantastic. Examples:

Very clear, friendly and readable style.

Leaving a fair amount for the reader to ponder and admitting when he doesn't know an answer rather than attempting to cover it up or avoid raising the issue.

Kitsch demonstrations about things (comparing his smoking cannabis and subsequent paranoia to conspiracy theorists).

Mm. Although, I am sceptical about just how helpful the deluge of hypothetical histories are to be honest.
Reply 115
DrunkHamster

Indeed, I agree.
DrunkHamster

Yeah, I agree that Rawls isn't as readable as Nozick. Though, I think that Political Liberalism is pretty readable.
The Solitary Reaper
I'll second this; I mean, I can't buy it because from the word go it's based on premises I don't accept ("Individuals have rights, and there...") but his style is fantastic. Examples:

Very clear, friendly and readable style.

Leaving a fair amount for the reader to ponder and admitting when he doesn't know an answer rather than attempting to cover it up or avoid raising the issue.

Kitsch demonstrations about things (comparing his smoking cannabis and subsequent paranoia to conspiracy theorists).

Mm. Although, I am sceptical about just how helpful the deluge of hypothetical histories are to be honest.

Whilst I agree that Nozick is very readable, I don't like the way that he leaves questions that need to be answered. These questions pose very real challenges to his theory (I mean ... given that justice in holdings depends hugely justice in acquisition, and he only gives fleeting attention to the tomato juice and sea example. It just leaves himself open to criticism: see, for example, the feminist critique of labour-mixing).

In addition to that, I think his lurid examples often misrepresent opponents. Take his treatment of fair play obligations for example. It certainly isn't faithful to Hart's formulation.
Reply 116
Sidhe
I wouldn't argue with that. He should do what most scientists do, ignore the more delusional amongst the religious, instead of giving them credence by even bothering to argue with them. Probably needs to spend a great deal more time reading the philosophers of the renaissance-modern era before he attempts any sort of real criticism.

And that is how Dawkins does himself a disfavour - arguing with delusional nutters.

No serious theist is ever going to buy or be persuaded by a book called the God Delusion.

I am an ardent Atheist and even I can see that that is not the way of trying to unriddle the notion of God.

Although he flirts with Aquinas and Anselm, Dawkins doesn't really go into that much depth with philosophical arguments for god and it is those arguments he needs to engage with and expose the fallacies of to 'convert' the intelligent theists.

As long as he bases his arguments on talking down to people and science, nutjob theists will always reject everything he says because they will just reject the scientific method.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in but Dawkins really should engage more with what exactly 'faith' is and realize that by its very nature, 'faith' will hold fast against any 'earthly' solutions to God.
Reply 117
DrunkHamster

I did actually read, and quite enjoy, Anarchy State and Utopia but alas I didn't read it in the context of Politcal Phil....I read it for a module on Aristotle (although I can't for the life of me remember why I was told to do so)
Reply 118
wanderer
Hmm, not undoubtedly, given as he's generally regarded as one of the greats and was at least hugely influential. Not an objectivist by any chance, are you?

No, not an objectivist at all! Just dont like Kant!
Reply 119
Oddjob39A
And that is how Dawkins does himself a disfavour - arguing with delusional nutters.

No serious theist is ever going to buy or be persuaded by a book called the God Delusion.

I am an ardent Atheist and even I can see that that is not the way of trying to unriddle the notion of God.

Although he flirts with Aquinas and Anselm, Dawkins doesn't really go into that much depth with philosophical arguments for god and it is those arguments he needs to engage with and expose the fallacies of to 'convert' the intelligent theists.

As long as he bases his arguments on talking down to people and science, nutjob theists will always reject everything he says because they will just reject the scientific method.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in but Dawkins really should engage more with what exactly 'faith' is and realize that by its very nature, 'faith' will hold fast against any 'earthly' solutions to God.

I completely agree - Dawkins maybe right to completely shun traditional ontological etc arguments for the existence of God, maybe he is right that they are not "worth the time to bother arguing about" (something along those lines) but at the end of the day if those arguments persuade people. they're worth looking into if his goal is to convert people.

Latest

Trending

Trending