The Student Room Group

taking a level that u r bad at

im going into sixth form next year and am choosing my a levels. i want to get 4 A*s in my a levels if i can (or 3 after i drop one if i do)

currently with GCSEs, i am getting all 9s (strong 9s) except for english literature where i am getting mid 8s. however, i want to take english literature as an a level as i thoroughly enjoy it, probably more than any of my other subjects. ofc i have passions elsewhere too like mainly in the sciences.

should i take english lit despite it being my worst subject?
Original post by ismaelishere
im going into sixth form next year and am choosing my a levels. i want to get 4 A*s in my a levels if i can (or 3 after i drop one if i do)
currently with GCSEs, i am getting all 9s (strong 9s) except for english literature where i am getting mid 8s. however, i want to take english literature as an a level as i thoroughly enjoy it, probably more than any of my other subjects. ofc i have passions elsewhere too like mainly in the sciences.

Hi!! I'm currently a Year 12 student, and for my GCSEs I got an 8 in English Literature and 7 in English Language, so not too bad and I decided to take English Literature A-Level. Like you, I've always had a passion for English and I say just go for it. Considering you're predicted straight 9s in AMAZING!! that is SO SO RARE, so you should be proud of yourself for even having the capability of balancing so many subjects and achieving so high 😁

But as I said before, definitely go for it if you think it's a passion of yours and you want to carry on doing it. Just be ready to do a lot of analysing of texts and work. Good luck!
Original post by peachymuffin
Hi!! I'm currently a Year 12 student, and for my GCSEs I got an 8 in English Literature and 7 in English Language, so not too bad and I decided to take English Literature A-Level. Like you, I've always had a passion for English and I say just go for it. Considering you're predicted straight 9s in AMAZING!! that is SO SO RARE, so you should be proud of yourself for even having the capability of balancing so many subjects and achieving so high 😁
But as I said before, definitely go for it if you think it's a passion of yours and you want to carry on doing it. Just be ready to do a lot of analysing of texts and work. Good luck!

Just wanted to add, that if you're passionate about a subject, this will become evident in your grades. Whether it will be now or in the future, so don't be scared to just go for it. 😁
Original post by peachymuffin
Just wanted to add, that if you're passionate about a subject, this will become evident in your grades. Whether it will be now or in the future, so don't be scared to just go for it. 😁
thx for ur help, i really appreciate it. i also think i will improve in lit because i love it. i only recently actually discovered how to revise lit, beyond just memorising quotes and basic context. and honestly i enjoy it a lot more now. I find it fascinating how deep the meaning behind things can go, and the advanced context looking at morality and getting all philosophical and stuff really sparks my interest and draws me even more to pick it as an a level. ive already started reading one of the set texts (the great gatsby) and so far love it. however, studying poetry doesn't seem too appealing. we do the feminine gospels which looks quite dull to study but idk i havent properly read all of it.
thx for ur help, i really appreciate it. i also think i will improve in lit because i love it. i only recently actually discovered how to revise lit, beyond just memorising quotes and basic context. and honestly i enjoy it a lot more now. I find it fascinating how deep the meaning behind things can go, and the advanced context looking at morality and getting all philosophical and stuff really sparks my interest and draws me even more to pick it as an a level. ive already started reading one of the set texts (the great gatsby) and so far love it. however, studying poetry doesn't seem too appealing. we do the feminine gospels which looks quite dull to study but idk i havent properly read all of it.

I'm glad I was able to help ☺️ But yes of course you'll improve, not only your passion and dedication, but you still have time until your exams in May to drill in the knowledge and apply it correctly.

And yes! I agree. English is so fascinating, with how much you can draw from a single sentence, word, punctuation or stage direction, so I'm so sad it's got such a bad rep for being just plain waffle. Admittedly, some of the analysis I have seen is a bit ..., but other than that, I think it is so beautiful and mesmerising.

But well done for being ahead of the game!! Reading ahead already! I seem to be studying different texts from you, but regarding poetry, I had the same mindset as you. But I decided to be a bit open about it, and admittedly on my first try when I was reading 19th century poetry I was like, oh my god, what on earth is going on. But as I started reading it more and diving into analysis, I realised how clever the poem was and how fascinating it is to study. So you never know if you'll like it or not unless you do it!

Other than that, I do hope you choose English Literature, or just keep it as an option for now whilst you decide, as it is truly an amazing subject and you should study it if you are passionate about it and fascinated. 😁

If you're passionate about a subject, then it will really show at A level. I had a similar situation where English lang was my worst GCSE (I barely got an 8 and was only predicted a 6) but I took it at A level anyway since I was interested in the topics you cover at A level and now it is my best subject (strong A*). How much work you put into a subject outside of lesson and on top of homework is what influences your success the most and if you enjoy a subject you're more likely to put the work in.
Original post by nell-is-cold
If you're passionate about a subject, then it will really show at A level. I had a similar situation where English lang was my worst GCSE (I barely got an 8 and was only predicted a 6) but I took it at A level anyway since I was interested in the topics you cover at A level and now it is my best subject (strong A*). How much work you put into a subject outside of lesson and on top of homework is what influences your success the most and if you enjoy a subject you're more likely to put the work in.

thx. i rlly needed this reassurance that im not naturally "capped" at subjects. hardwork beats talent haha

Quick Reply

Latest