The Student Room Group

Standard conditions for enthalpy change

what is the standard condition for enthalpy change? my book sometimes says 298k +101kpa sometimes 273K=101kpa and it is really confusing me.
Furthermore, would standard enthalpy change of formation, combustion, neutralisation, lattice enthalpy, solution and hydration all have the same standard condition?
thanks!
Original post by Iconic_panda
what is the standard condition for enthalpy change? my book sometimes says 298k +101kpa sometimes 273K=101kpa and it is really confusing me.
Furthermore, would standard enthalpy change of formation, combustion, neutralisation, lattice enthalpy, solution and hydration all have the same standard condition?
thanks!

The "official" definition of standard conditions does not include temperature and this is why you will sometimes see it included in the symbol.

Standard conditions are atmospheric pressure and molar solutions.
thanks :biggrin: for exam purpose though, as i have seen them asking the temperature before, should I put down 298K or 273K you reckon?
Original post by charco
The "official" definition of standard conditions does not include temperature and this is why you will sometimes see it included in the symbol.

Standard conditions are atmospheric pressure and molar solutions.
Original post by Iconic_panda
thanks :biggrin: for exam purpose though, as i have seen them asking the temperature before, should I put down 298K or 273K you reckon?

STP is 273 K by definition

If the exam question asks (incorrectly) for standard temperature then you would be wise to put 298K.
Original post by charco
STP is 273 K by definition

If the exam question asks (incorrectly) for standard temperature then you would be wise to put 298K.

Quick Reply

Latest