The Student Room Group

Biology AS MCQ question help please

I need help with the question attached below please. The answer is D and i'm confused. If the altitude increases shouldn't there be less ATP synthesis bc there's less oxygen available? And what does the high temperature have to with that? Is it because the high lymphocyte count indicates that he`s feverish?
Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello again, my friend,

Firstly, good thinking on your part - a high lymphocyte count, in general, suggests a viral infection (bacterial infection is usually associated with high neutrophil count and fungal/worm infestation with a high eosinophil count - but an A level student CANNOT be expected to know that) - it is possible that at the lower temperatures likely to be prevalent at the high altitude, the individual caught a viral infection (certain viruses, e.g. the rhinovirus [that causes common cold] prefer a relatively low temperature like that present in the nose - thinking empirically, there is no reason otherwise why a cold should affect our noses and not any other part of the body [in general]).

THE OVERALL POINT I WOULD MAKE is that as A level examiners have been generating new original Qs every year, they are now running out of ideas, AND "LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING", so what appears to be happening is that they [the examiners] are "punching above their height". The information given in this Q, and the predictions based on that info are not exactly logical or directly deducible [clinical medicine does not work like that!]. So, in reality, the confusion is partly, if not mainly, in the domain of the examiners rather than students; however, in reality, it is the students who bear the brunt of this confusion [extremely unfortunately], but I suppose that is life!

"ATP synthesis in cells is higher"

I think this is a wild prediction - ATP synthesis is affected and controlled by many factors - what they might be trying to get at here is possibly that at the colder temperatures prevalent at high altitude, more metabolic activity needs to take place to maintain normal body temperature [like] VERY "WEIRD" Q, if I may use youngsters' terminology! :colondollar:

Sorry if my post sound rather critical!
Original post by macpatelgh
Hello again, my friend,

Firstly, good thinking on your part - a high lymphocyte count, in general, suggests a viral infection (bacterial infection is usually associated with high neutrophil count and fungal/worm infestation with a high eosinophil count - but an A level student CANNOT be expected to know that) - it is possible that at the lower temperatures likely to be prevalent at the high altitude, the individual caught a viral infection (certain viruses, e.g. the rhinovirus [that causes common cold] prefer a relatively low temperature like that present in the nose - thinking empirically, there is no reason otherwise why a cold should affect our noses and not any other part of the body [in general]).

THE OVERALL POINT I WOULD MAKE is that as A level examiners have been generating new original Qs every year, they are now running out of ideas, AND "LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING", so what appears to be happening is that they [the examiners] are "punching above their height". The information given in this Q, and the predictions based on that info are not exactly logical or directly deducible [clinical medicine does not work like that!]. So, in reality, the confusion is partly, if not mainly, in the domain of the examiners rather than students; however, in reality, it is the students who bear the brunt of this confusion [extremely unfortunately], but I suppose that is life!

"ATP synthesis in cells is higher"

I think this is a wild prediction - ATP synthesis is affected and controlled by many factors - what they might be trying to get at here is possibly that at the colder temperatures prevalent at high altitude, more metabolic activity needs to take place to maintain normal body temperature [like] VERY "WEIRD" Q, if I may use youngsters' terminology! :colondollar:

Sorry if my post sound rather critical!

Thank you so so much for explaining! You have every right to be critical tbh bc as you said it is a weird question. I think i understand now, so even if i couldn't figure out the atp part since the temperature is higher it can only be D.

I feel bad asking all those questions but there's just one more if you don't mind and i just need a little pointer because maybe it's something i missed whilst studying.

Which processes are involved in the mass movement of water through xylem vessels?
1 hydrogen bonding between water molecules
2 cohesion between water molecules
3 adhesion between water molecules and lignin
A 1, 2 and 3 B 1 and 2 only C 1 and 3 only D 2 and 3 only
the answer is A, but i thought lignin was hydrophobic?
Good morning Britain!
This is TV a.m. (:colondollar:)

Students (at least uni ones get up after midday, so I suppose I am talking to the wall right now!!)

Ok xylem Q:-

To be honest, I would have at first thought, also got this Q wrong - I might have selected B.

However, I think the point here is that water does move upward through the xylem partly by a kind of capillary action (as it does in a capillary tube in chemistry), and this is due to its adhesive properties, although glass is not paticularly hydrophilic (rather similar to the reason for the fact that when e.g. a beaker [sorry, chemistry again!] or a glass is part full of water the water level at the edges is concave upward, i.e. the water edge points upwards rather than downwards as in the case of mercury). This latter phenomenon is actually due to the property of high surface tension that water possesses, but could be looked upon as being due to its "adhesion" to glass.

Sorry I can't think of a more logical answer.
Good morning Britain!
This is TV a.m. (:colondollar:)

Students (at least uni ones get up after midday, so I suppose I am talking to the wall right now!!)

Ok xylem Q:-

To be honest, I would have at first thought, also got this Q wrong - I might have selected B.

However, I think the point here is that water does move upward through the xylem partly by a kind of capillary action (as it does in a capillary tube in chemistry), and this is due to its adhesive properties, although glass is not paticularly hydrophilic (rather similar to the reason for the fact that when e.g. a beaker [sorry, chemistry again!] or a glass is part full of water the water level at the edges is concave upward, i.e. the water edge points upwards rather than downwards as in the case of mercury). This latter phenomenon is actually due to the property of high surface tension that water possesses, but could be looked upon as being due to its "adhesion" to glass.

Sorry I can't think of a more logical answer.

thank you for answering, that's really helpful. Actually already did my exam but it`s still good to clear any final doubts.
Sorry Maryam, I knew you had your exam today, so I sent my post at 6 a.m. - you probs did not have time to go online before your exam. Hope your exam went well! - should have tagged you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry Maryam, I knew you had your exam today, so I sent my post at 6 a.m. - you probs did not have time to go online before your exam. Hope your exam went well! - should have tagged you.

oh no it's ok! I appreciate that you answered anyway. My exam was alright, not terrible but not amazing. Maybe my expectations were a little too high bc I was hoping for a full or nearly full mark on this paper since it's where i always perform best but i think there were more hard/tricky questions than usual (or at least those with confusing wording).
Is it ok if i ask you about one of the questions?
Sure! might have to answer in morning though. BTW, pls remind me your exam board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending