The Student Room Group

LPC - Best way to prepare for multiple choice questions?

Hi! As title suggests I'm currently studying the LPC. I've had a rough time with it to say the least, but things are improving.

Anyway, I guess I've always struggled with MCQs. I'm definitely better at the writing side of things, MCQs tend to put pressure in my head of only one answer so I've always struggled.

For the LPC specifically I always find the practice MCQs somehow super complex, and I never really know how to prepare for them. Even in my real Business Law and Practice exam, when the multiple choice part came up there were things I felt I didn't recognise at all topic wise and struggled to find answers even with notes/book (open book exams)

I mainly use the provided books and LPC buddy notes, yet I feel still lacking with preparing on MCQs that come up. Did anyone else experience this?

I guess I worry as I haven't had an easy time with the LPC, failed a skill (and maybe twice potentially) and scraped the pass for Business Law (pass mark was 50, I got a 51)

I really would like some advice - even general LPC advice. I'm at ULaw, so would love to hear from anyone who can help. Ideally I would like to push for a Commendation, so really need to get the work started. 😌
Original post by lily1051
Hi! As title suggests I'm currently studying the LPC. I've had a rough time with it to say the least, but things are improving.

Anyway, I guess I've always struggled with MCQs. I'm definitely better at the writing side of things, MCQs tend to put pressure in my head of only one answer so I've always struggled.

For the LPC specifically I always find the practice MCQs somehow super complex, and I never really know how to prepare for them. Even in my real Business Law and Practice exam, when the multiple choice part came up there were things I felt I didn't recognise at all topic wise and struggled to find answers even with notes/book (open book exams)

I mainly use the provided books and LPC buddy notes, yet I feel still lacking with preparing on MCQs that come up. Did anyone else experience this?

I guess I worry as I haven't had an easy time with the LPC, failed a skill (and maybe twice potentially) and scraped the pass for Business Law (pass mark was 50, I got a 51)

I really would like some advice - even general LPC advice. I'm at ULaw, so would love to hear from anyone who can help. Ideally I would like to push for a Commendation, so really need to get the work started. 😌

Hi Lily,

I'm a student ambassador currently studying the LPC at the ULAW Bristol campus! Which campus are you studying at?

This is a great question and something that a lot of people (including myself) struggle with. I have always seemed to be better at written answers as there is a bit more leeway as opposed to MCQ's where there is only one correct answer which can sometimes be a really niche/intricate point.

A couple of tips that I have found helpful are:

- re-doing all the preparation and consolidation MCQ's for each workshop after I had fully revised that particular workshop and adding things that I had missed/caught me out to my notes

- screenshotting all of the preparation, consolidation and specimen MCQ's and putting them into categories so they are easy to find during an exam (often very similar questions/topics tend to come up in a similar way as the practice ones)

- working through the options for each question by process of elimination (sometimes its easier to find the right answer by knowing the wrong ones!)

- looking at the index of the textbook where there is a 'buzzword' to see where that word is located in the textbook to try and find an answer or eliminate an option

- setting strict time limits (I tend to play on my strengths which is written questions and set a time limit so I do not spend too long fixated on the MCQ's I am unsure of and instead try to pick up the marks on my written answers)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kate :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Hey if you have any tips from then to Now this is also my problem

Hey, what helped you the most with the BLP exam? thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending