The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mechanics M1 2018 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MclarenP1
Oh right I've done the method the same but got 7.41 so probs wont get any marks out of 10 ugh. Thanks for your time

No,you'll probably get method marks for your equations but no A or B marks where you've used 30 degrees instead of 50.

I find it really difficult to see how they're going to allocate 10 marks since my solution is really short - 5 lines if you ignore splitting the vector form into two separate equations. It's three equations (parallel and perpendicular to the slope) and F = μR, then simply solve.

So three M1 and 2 B1 marks there. Perhaps an M1 mark for taking friction in the right direction? Then an A1 for the final solution. Where do the other 3 marks go?? I've no idea and will be interested to see the eventual mark scheme.
Original post by Reesharr
No,you'll probably get method marks for your equations but no A or B marks where you've used 30 degrees instead of 50.

I find it really difficult to see how they're going to allocate 10 marks since my solution is really short - 5 lines if you ignore splitting the vector form into two separate equations. It's three equations (parallel and perpendicular to the slope) and F = μR, then simply solve.

So three M1 and 2 B1 marks there. Perhaps an M1 mark for taking friction in the right direction? Then an A1 for the final solution. Where do the other 3 marks go?? I've no idea and will be interested to see the eventual mark scheme.

Thank you very much sir If I get 5/10 in that question I will be very satisfied feel much better now.
Reply 642
How many UMS will 63 give or take 2 marks be roughly?
My method for question 2 was correct but I got 7.41 for P as I used 30 degrees instead of 50 how many marks am I likely to get out of 10.
Please reply its bugging me a lot.

I couldn’t say for sure but I know that there’ll be something in the examiner’s notes about if people used 30 degrees instead of 50, worst case scenario you might get 4/10 but best case I’d say 7/10, just try to nail your core modules and you’ll be fine trust me! I did absolutely horrible on this paper but my other modules bring my grade up, and I still have a good chance at getting an A, even though this paper was probably a D for me, any marks made on this paper you can just count as bonus marks really
Original post by zMarshaall
I couldn’t say for sure but I know that there’ll be something in the examiner’s notes about if people used 30 degrees instead of 50, worst case scenario you might get 4/10 but best case I’d say 7/10, just try to nail your core modules and you’ll be fine trust me! I did absolutely horrible on this paper but my other modules bring my grade up, and I still have a good chance at getting an A, even though this paper was probably a D for me, any marks made on this paper you can just count as bonus marks really

Thank you very much mate am motivated to work harder now
Original post by JSC16
How many UMS will 63 give or take 2 marks be roughly?

Mid 80’s I’d say
Reply 646
In Q7 I put a= 1.2 instead of 1.18 as g=9.8 (2sf so I wrote the result to 2sf)
Then used 1.2 for the next part and didn't get the result given but correct method
How many marks would I drop there?
It went horrifically got about 44/75 give or take a couple marks probably an E right ?
Original post by Blubble
It went horrifically got about 44/75 give or take a couple marks probably an E right ?

Can be a C no
Seems like you are an expert you got 74 and also for the second question do you think any method marks are available taking the cos angle 30 instead of 50

Not sure.
Original post by BenHayward00
Pretty sure for 7a) it’s P: 16gm/5 - T =4ma
Cos it’s 4m x cosa and cosa = 4/5
And acceleration is 1.18ms-2 cos you have to divide yours by 5

I got 3g/25 but forgot the 2 in my post. Sorry
Original post by keeg
I agree with everything here. For question 3 i got 2898. i don't know if they're the same.

Would need to have been rounded as you used a value for g. I think you would lose 1 mark
Original post by JSC16
Guys I have a serious problem and need some advice, for the lift question how many marks would I lose for using 1000N rather than 10000N in my working, I ended up with -2 but if I used 10000 I would have got 6.97

Provided that you used 1000 right from the beginning (and 10000 is not seen in your working) then it will be treated as a MR and you will lose 2 marks in total.
Original post by Reesharr

When virtually the same question was asked in January 2003, there was M1 A2 for each equation, where the wrong angle would count as an accuracy error, M1 for the use of F = mu R, M1 for eliminating R to get an equation in just P, M1 for solving for P, A1 for the correct answer. So someone using 30 instead of 50 would lose a mark for each equation and then the A mark at the end, 7/10. If they had friction going the wrong way, that would lose another A mark onthe "parallel to the plane" equation.
Original post by tiny hobbit
When virtually the same question was asked in January 2003, there was M1 A2 for each equation, where the wrong angle would count as an accuracy error, M1 for the use of F = mu R, M1 for eliminating R to get an equation in just P, M1 for solving for P, A1 for the correct answer. So someone using 30 instead of 50 would lose a mark for each equation and then the A mark at the end, 7/10. If they had friction going the wrong way, that would lose another A mark onthe "parallel to the plane" equation.

WOW that is mental maaan I put 30 degrees and had friction in the right way with three equations however I did a calculation error (due to my calculator being in radians mode)
Original post by Peenutte
OMG you have been the only person that got the same answer as mine so far!! Are you sure?

No i'm not so sure anymore 😂😭 everyone else is saying 6 but you never know
How many marks for a C are people thinking ?
Original post by cesecky
How many marks for a C are people thinking ?

Well in summer 2013, a C was just 44/75. Perhaps won't be that low but by the general response won't be surprised of boundaries are similar.
Attachment not found
Original post by JackHamblett
Let's get this mark scheme going

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending