The Student Room Group

A Level Music Edexcel 2018

Scroll to see replies

So does anyone have any idea what percentage would roughly equate to an A*/A? I don't know how this exam works at all LOL
Does anyone know how long the Q5 and Q6 essays should be ?
Original post by cesecky
Does anyone know how long the Q5 and Q6 essays should be ?

I’m averaging about a page / a page and a half in 20 min
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
So does anyone have any idea what percentage would roughly equate to an A*/A? I don't know how this exam works at all LOL

No I don't but I am hoping coursework will mean we don't have to do amazingly in paper (if coursework ends up being ok)
Original post by emilythomas184
No I don't but I am hoping coursework will mean we don't have to do amazingly in paper (if coursework ends up being ok)

Oh my gosh me too, I feel like this paper is going to go horrible (all the set works I hate will come up and I won't know any wider listening for Q5) - really wish I'd done better in my coursework now!
What are you doing as last minute revision? I’m so scareeed

31961A6A-3B58-4FA5-9650-508EC52ECE96.png
Last years grade boundaries!
Reply 27
i'm counting on one of the q6 essays being on one of the big works because I have revised the **** out of stravinsky/berlioz/schumann, either that or a beatles essay would be chill.

Main problem is the listening questions, am so slow and never quite get what they want, am thinking of doing the essays first in the exam but not sure if its a good idea... Also if i turn the page to a listening question on cage or PETALS I will walk out
I am so ****ed
Original post by Bluealba

does that say 79/90 for A*?! :bawling:
does that say 79/90 for A*?! :bawling:

That's the old syllabus...which is easier in quite a few ways compared to this exam we are sitting.... Looking at the new AS level grade boundaries does give some hope, as they are very low!!

Edit: from what I remember, the new exam we are sitting is out of 100!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by swisster
That's the old syllabus...which is easier in quite a few ways compared to this exam we are sitting.... Looking at the new AS level grade boundaries does give some hope, as they are very low!!

Yes, it's out of 100 luckily! Oooh I haven't seen the new AS level grade boundaries, the thought of having to lose less than 11 marks to get an A* scared me but I'll go and check the AS grade boundaries out now! :biggrin:
Original post by corolla
i'm counting on one of the q6 essays being on one of the big works because I have revised the **** out of stravinsky/berlioz/schumann, either that or a beatles essay would be chill.

Main problem is the listening questions, am so slow and never quite get what they want, am thinking of doing the essays first in the exam but not sure if its a good idea... Also if i turn the page to a listening question on cage or PETALS I will walk out

If Petals comes up I swear...
Original post by swisster

could you attach the AS level grade boundaries? Can’t find them! Thanks!!
Original post by Bluealba

It is the one on the top row that is out of 200(overall grade including coursework), where 139 and above is an A, not sure what the break down is though...
Original post by emilythomas184
There is so much content for the whole course in general - I am the only person doing it at my school and I feel so out of my depth! Nice to know other people do too though so maybe they could have low grade boundaries?

Same! I'm the only student in Y13 doing music and I'm terrified too!!!
Original post by sholamay
Same! I'm the only student in Y13 doing music and I'm terrified too!!!

Legit don't think I am going to get into uni - the exam is tomorrow and I still don't feel like I know a thing!
Does anyone know how much wider listening you actually need in the essays? Because my teachers keep saying one for every point you make and it's stressing me out because I don't know enough wider pieces in enough detail for that to be possible :s-smilie:
Original post by musicalintrovert
Does anyone know how much wider listening you actually need in the essays? Because my teachers keep saying one for every point you make and it's stressing me out because I don't know enough wider pieces in enough detail for that to be possible :s-smilie:

I think you can reuse the same wider listening so I'm aiming for 3/4 for each - but my teacher made a good point that the examiner can't know every piece of music and there's a good chance they won't check to see whether your reference is right......
That's what I'm hoping for anyway hahaha
Original post by musicalintrovert

My teachers saying one for each point, which I guess makes sense as a way of providing evidence for each point you make, but I know what you mean, it is tricky, and even if you know enough wider listenings to be able to quickly remember the exam is another matter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending