The Student Room Group

AQA physics A Level Paper 3 14th June 2018 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by esmithxx
Astrophysics last question:
I put that the radiation all has the same peak at 2.7K. And the hydrogen and helium are present 3:1 which shows that they fused early in their life

straight out of my brain basically. I didn't really write much for 3 marks though, I kind of just blagged my way through those last 3 markers as I only had a few points for each question, definitely not worth 3 marks :/
fuk for the B i put -0.018. do i gain any marks?
Original post by Speersy
9.81*gradient/(3L) L was 0.05

It's not gradient though
Original post by noajaho11
did anyone else get 4 exactly for n?

I got 3.9 to two sf, could’ve put 4 now that I think about it
Reply 44
What did you guys get for the last turning points qu? (muons) I got something like 82 percent
I cant remember if it was how many had decayed or how many were left :'(
Original post by BTAnonymous
-273.1 i think. I found my gradient and y intercept then subbed y = 0 to find T.

Did you convert units or anything ? I got 4 and annoyed at why I went wrogm
82% for muon intensity?
Reply 47
Original post by willfarrar
82% for muon intensity?

YAY :smile:
Original post by kibi.coco
Pretty sure charles law is volume is proportional to temperarure

Couldn’t you just state that it was a closed system so using Charles law would be suitable?
Reply 49
misread that as psychology and was freaked out for a moment lmao
Original post by 123medicine

You forgot to do v2-v1 of the volumes
Original post by 123medicine

i initially converted volume to meters cubed but gave me an answer which was 1000 times more negative than absolute 0 in celcius. I don't know why meters (maybe because Celsius isn't base SI??) didn't work but I just found my gradient in cm instead and got a much more reasonable answer.
For astrophysics:
Wavelength for the Griffith telescope is 5.5X10^-7m

Focal length 0.029 or 0.03 to 2sf

The telescope was good enough to resolve the asteroid as the angle of the asteroid was 10.8X-3 rad and the resolution of the telescope eyepiece was 3.2X10-4 rad

The black-body radiation curve I just wrote you can use Weins law to work out temperature.

The age of the universe I got 4.4X10^17 I worked that out by calculating recessional velocity using the Doppler shift equation and then used it to work out hubbles constant and 1/H is the age of the universe as H indicates that the recessional velocity is proportional to distance and therefore the the universe is expanding at a uniform rate.

The distance question regarding quasars I’m not too sure on but I think I got 32.6 times further than the most distant galaxy
Reply 53
Original post by rexs2000
I got A As 10^-1 cuz I converted to metres from cm

Shouldnt matter cause it said state the unit
Original post by willfarrar
I got N as 4 and A as x10^-7
Ruler I got 128g
B was the gradient of the graph divided by 0.15
I’ll drown in the hot bath question
Charles’ Law is pressure constant?
Measure with a measuring cylinder and make sure eye isn’t perpendicular to scale to reduce parallax error?

It wanted systematic error I think parallax is human error I’m not sure? You’re probably right though
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by zMarshaall
It wanted systematic error I think parallax is human error I’m not sure? You’re probably right though

Parrallax is a random error
Original post by rexs2000
Got n as 3.9 but apparently supposed to be an integer
Also I said plot F against d then use gradient to work out k is this right

I did the same.
I think they were looking for current being the independant variable as they included the limit.
I don't think we were wrong though
Original post by Jcvjcvjcv
You forgot to do v2-v1 of the volumes

Oh when plotting the graph??? Thanks!!!
Original post by Ladkus
Parrallax is a random error

I put measure mass with and without water, then find volume using density.
Zero scale to avoid systematic but idk
Original post by Quantum18
For astrophysics:
Wavelength for the Griffith telescope is 5.5X10^-7m

Focal length 0.029 or 0.03 to 2sf

The telescope was good enough to resolve the asteroid as the angle of the asteroid was 10.8X-3 rad and the resolution of the telescope eyepiece was 3.2X10-4 rad

The black-body radiation curve I just wrote you can use Weins law to work out temperature.

The age of the universe I got 4.4X10^17 I worked that out by calculating recessional velocity using the Doppler shift equation and then used it to work out hubbles constant and 1/H is the age of the universe as H indicates that the recessional velocity is proportional to distance and therefore the the universe is expanding at a uniform rate.

The distance question regarding quasars I’m not too sure on but I think I got 32.6 times further than the most distant galaxy

Thank god for the quasar one, that was a complete shot in the dark for me but I got 32 times Further aswell, i did the same method for your age of the universe one and got 1.44x10^17 so either I’m wrong or you’re misremembering,

I got pretty much the same as you for the rest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending