The Student Room Group

Am I the only one not interested in the World Cup?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Quixote.
How old are you? 5? Do you remember other tournaments? This literally happens every world cup, it's not "hype", it's the done thing. And not just in England.

Get over yourself guys. What makes you think we want to hear about how you dislike a particular thing here in a forum about that thing? People have interests, they sometimes differ from other people's. I'd be willing to bet that you like something that I have little interest in.

You came onto the forum knowing what it was about so how about you leave us to complain about it and you go enjoy it.

And it doesn't matter if there's this hype every time, we're just complaining about that hype.
Original post by Bio 7
You came onto the forum knowing what it was about so how about you leave us to complain about it and you go enjoy it.

And it doesn't matter if there's this hype every time, we're just complaining about that hype.

Well said!
Yup and all the shows I watch have moved to the next day //aren’t on at all. I mean who’s gonna watch football for 6 hours a day every day? With you on that one
Original post by s817
It's just 2 teams kicking a ball about for 90 minutes, too long in my opinion.

Yes....yes u r u unpatriotic *****
Reply 24
Original post by FireFreezer77
Well said!

Some people come to places not for a discussion like on religion but just for pointless argument, they need to find a new hobby.
Original post by Bio 7
Some people come to places not for a discussion like on religion but just for pointless argument, they need to find a new hobby.

Yeah that's so true.
I guess they were offended by this thread or something. Like there's no need for them to go off on one but hey ho.
And yeah they so do! Seems like all football fans are the same though tbh
Original post by pinkbacon1437
Yup and all the shows I watch have moved to the next day //aren’t on at all. I mean who’s gonna watch football for 6 hours a day every day? With you on that one

It's irritating isn't it. It affects everyone because people can't bear to miss people running around in a field.
Original post by s817

Football is boring unless you play it in a non serious game and just mess around.
Original post by Quixote.
How old are you? 5? Do you remember other tournaments? This literally happens every world cup, it's not "hype", it's the done thing. And not just in England.

Get over yourself guys. What makes you think we want to hear about how you dislike a particular thing here in a forum about that thing? People have interests, they sometimes differ from other people's. I'd be willing to bet that you like something that I have little interest in.

The difference is that they are not constantly subjecting you to those interests.It would be fine if it was just occasionally but do people really need to talk about it constantly as though there is nothing more interesting?
I'm not into it either. But I admire how it brings everyone together - from all nations - and creates shared excitement for a lot of people.
Maybe because football is such a unique industry, with annual revenue into the billions and high profile footballers seeming to automatically be accorded role model status just for being good at their very highly paid job.

My father loves the football but does describe cricket, tennis, formula 1 and anything that includes horses in a similar way.

Original post by Wilfred Little
Thread is silly. Why don't people describe other hobbies in a similar way?

Books - they're just words on a page
Music - it's just some sounds
Films - you're just staring at a screen for two hours

:rolleyes:
Plenty don't like football and plenty of people do
Why have this been posted in a sub forum specifically created so that people who are interested can talk about it?

If it doesn't interest you then don't watch it.
Its the world cup for goodness sake! Everybody watches it
Original post by s817

Congrats, you're 'special'.
Original post by Major Zero
Congrats, you're 'special'.

This. Literally the only person in the world who isn't interested in the World Cup.
Reply 36
Original post by londonmyst
Maybe because football is such a unique industry, with annual revenue into the billions and high profile footballers seeming to automatically be accorded role model status just for being good at their very highly paid job.

My father loves the football but does describe cricket, tennis, formula 1 and anything that includes horses in a similar way.

Thoughts on Beyonce's and Justin Biebers salary and status?

It's the same thing. Entertainment industry is like that.

If people have a problem they can live in China or some other commie state.
Reply 37
Original post by Wilfred Little
This. Literally the only person in the world who isn't interested in the World Cup.

Original post by Robby2312
The difference is that they are not constantly subjecting you to those interests.It would be fine if it was just occasionally but do people really need to talk about it constantly as though there is nothing more interesting?

I beg to differ. More people on my facebook feed are talking about Love Island than they are the World Cup, which I have zero interest in. Last month I had royal wedding coverage forced on me for weeks, what if I wasn't interested in that? Every time the Olympics rolls around there's nothing but that on the BBC for weeks. "It's people running around in circles for a few minutes". If I went to the gaming sub forum people would be speaking about gaming, if I went to the religion one they'd be talking about religion. But I don't tend to go to sub forum's of things that i'm not interested in to unnecessarily declare my lack of interest.

You are literally doing what you're saying that you're not, coming into a forum that people are in to talk with people with similar interests, and subjecting everybody to your interests (or non-interest).

Who exactly is subjecting your to their interest in football? The idea that you're being forced to discuss football here in this forum with us is hilarious, or in real life for that matter. I watch football most days, but between watching it I have found it fairly easy to have discussions with people on various topics and partake in my various other interests.

The "as though there is nothing more interesting" bit it funny too. For somebody interested in football, a tournament that only comes around every 4 years might very well be one of the most interesting things going on for the next couple of weeks. Personally, most of my spare time is being spent working a summer-job, so the football is an fun and interesting breather from that most days. And if you you feel the need to call me boring for that, go for it, but you know absolutely nothing about me or my other interests... so it'd just be a little pathetic tbh.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by s817

Obviously not. Go and do something else and let other people enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest