The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks everyone, how is the reputation/ranking of southampton and manchester developing? is it going up or down?
Reply 21
Manchester is a very up-and-coming university. It's aiming to be in the top 25 universities in the world by 2015, it's currently at number 30 (after jumping up 10 places from the previous year, according to THES). And Manchester as a city, as well as the North in general, is a really vibrant and exciting place to be. The area's just full of redevelopment. And it's huge, well, in comparison to Soton.

I'm biased though, because I love Manchester.
Reply 22
hmm.. anyways, how is the potential of southampton to keep progressing even further up the ranking tables?
Reply 23
johnheyes91
hmm.. anyways, how is the potential of southampton to keep progressing even further up the ranking tables?

Both Southampton and Manchester are working very hard on improving themselves academically and no doubt we will see them in a stronger position in the future. You shouldn't take too much into consideration with league tables, as often these will take into account things such as happiness of students and satisfaction, whereas these can be very subjective things, and a lot of universities didn't allow their pupils to fill out the national student survey.
Reply 24
Maths at Manchester or Southampton - please choose for:

i) Better chances of job prospects in next 5 years (in particular investment banking or actuarial work)
ii) Better job prospects in like 5 years + and beyond (in particular investment banking or actuarial work)
iii) Which university will rise up the ranking tables in the coming years.
Johnny - just do yourself a favour and put Manchester down will you. You won't regret it!!

Bollox to league table results. They're flawed.

And in terms of employment prospects just make sure you do some summer intern and get a good ref. take part in the Manchester Leadership Programme; It can't do you any harm and will make your CV stand out from the rest. They also offers a careers' module worth 10 credits - which you can take as part of the undergraduate maths programme.

do yourself a favour - and put MANCHESTER down FFS.
Reply 26
haha dont call me johnny! anyways uhh are you doing maths there now?

btw ppl have told me that the difference between manc and southampton is negiligible in getting a job, so it wouldnt make much (or even) any difference if i go to manc or southampton?

but then again i read that manchester is aiming to be top 25 in the world by 2015 and southampton top 10 in UK by 2010, so i need to ask, which uni do you guys think has better potential in rising up the ranking's/reputation in the coming years?
For maths, Southampton is pretty good (probably slightly better than Manchester) but there is little difference. If you visited both, go to which one you like. Employment-wise you might as well toss a coin.

Latest

Trending

Trending