The Student Room Group

Best uni for CS out of Manchester, Southampton and Bristol?

Hi,
I’ve got offers from Bristol, Southampton and Manchester uni for BSC computer science but I’m quite unsure as to what uni I should go for. Which uni has better graduate prospects and student support? Any help with the overall uni details would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by chocolate13
Hi,
I’ve got offers from Bristol, Southampton and Manchester uni for BSC computer science but I’m quite unsure as to what uni I should go for. Which uni has better graduate prospects and student support? Any help with the overall uni details would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know any published metrics on student support, but graduate prospects - as established by the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset - are available on The Uni Guide. See the stats for BSc Computer Science at University of Bristol, University of Southampton and University of Manchester.

Southampton has better data at the "six months after graduating" point (£30,000 average annual salary, 95% employed or in further education, and 96% employed in a role where degree was essential or beneficial). Bristol's stats are £30,000, 93% and 82% respectively. Manchester's are £27,000, 95% and 87%.

In the fifth year after graduating, the numbers don't quite look the same. The median earnings of graduates are £48,000 for Southampton, £59,000 for Bristol and £43,000 for Manchester.

Make of that data what you will. The fact that Manchester appears to have the worst graduate outcomes of the three is odd given that it has a higher standard offer and (presumably consequently) has students with slightly higher grades.

Also, that fact that graduates from Bristol seem to be earning move five years after graduating is odd given that only 82% of them get a 2:1 or above compared to 92% at Southampton and 91% at Manchester.

I sorry this doesn't present a clearer picture for you!
Reply 2
Thank you . Is there anyone going to Manchester , Bristol or Southampton for BSc comp science?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending