The Student Room Group

Lads I am confused on these questions? - GCSE chemistry.

Lads help me out here. I need to understand these questions and ya'll explain it in said way. I should also add that for question one I only need help on the last part.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AspiringAccount
Lads help me out here. I need to understand these questions and ya'll explain it in said way. I should also add that for question one I only need help on the last part.

uh lads???

Lads?

Well this is intriguing...
1c - what properties must an electrolyte have to conduct electrolysis? hint: we know that an electrolyte should be able to conduct a charge so what's stopping hydrogen chloride from conducting electrolysis?
hint 2: what is hydrogen chloride? a ionic compound? made up of covalent bonds?

4a - does 6 represent the atomic number or mass? neutrons, protons or electrons?
b - same as what a is asking but with the number 12
c - same as what a is asking but what does 14 represent
d - what does changing the neutron number mean for the element?

not sure about f part one but f part two refers to moles i assume
Original post by rainclouds-
1c - what properties must an electrolyte have to conduct electrolysis? hint: we know that an electrolyte should be able to conduct a charge so what's stopping hydrogen chloride from conducting electrolysis?
hint 2: what is hydrogen chloride? a ionic compound? made up of covalent bonds?

4a - does 6 represent the atomic number or mass? neutrons, protons or electrons?
b - same as what a is asking but with the number 12
c - same as what a is asking but what does 14 represent
d - what does changing the neutron number mean for the element?

not sure about f part one but f part two refers to moles i assume

I assume I have to decode these hints and questions you put down?
I assume I have to decode these hints and questions you put down?

yep :biggrin: I'll share the answers at 10:30pm if you want... so I can give you a couple of hours to figure it out
Original post by rainclouds-
yep :biggrin: I'll share the answers at 10:30pm if you want... so I can give you a couple of hours to figure it out

i'll try my damn best.
i'll try my damn best.

have more faith in yourself and use your revision guide to help. sometimes you need to walk away from your work for a while and come back to your problems with a fresh open mind as if you've never seen the question. the answers might come more easily to you...
i'll try my damn best.

1c) An ionic compound is when a non metal and metal bond together. Hydrogen chloride shares electrons because hydrogen needs to gain one electron and chlorine needs to gain an electron. The sharing of electrons means that it cannot conduct electricity simply because there are no delocalised electrons to carry a charge. I presume only water can disassociate the ions but I don't know what other points are needed for you to gain 4 marks.

4a) proton/atomic number
b) relative atomic mass
c) atomic mass
d) same proton number different neutron number (carbon-14 has 2 more neutrons)

f) ii) one mole is the number of atoms in exactly 12g of carbon-12

if you're still confused i recommend senecalearning which you can look up online.

Quick Reply

Latest