The Student Room Group

What do I do in the summer after Y10 if im aiming for Grade 8/9 for my GCSEs?

I'm really confused on what to do now that Y10s have ended. I usually scored like 7s 8s 9s but my grades dropped in my mocks cuz I didn't revise properly. My grades were:
Geography: 7
Physics: 7
Chemistry: 7
Biology: 9
Business: 7
Computer Science: 9
Spanish: 8 (an almost 9)
Maths: 6
English Lit: 7
English Lang: 7
Am I supposed to be revising everyday? Should i make revision resources? How do I improve my maths from a 6 to a 9? How do i improve on everything else? Please give me advice :")
I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question)
Original post by masalachips
I'm really confused on what to do now that Y10s have ended. I usually scored like 7s 8s 9s but my grades dropped in my mocks cuz I didn't revise properly. My grades were:
Geography: 7
Physics: 7
Chemistry: 7
Biology: 9
Business: 7
Computer Science: 9
Spanish: 8 (an almost 9)
Maths: 6
English Lit: 7
English Lang: 7
Am I supposed to be revising everyday? Should i make revision resources? How do I improve my maths from a 6 to a 9? How do i improve on everything else? Please give me advice :")
I'm sorry if this is a frequently asked question)

Hi, i'm in year 10 and in the same boat as you. I've started making my notes for sciences just to consolidate my knowledge, prepare them for GCSEs (so i don't waste my time during study leave) and also because making notes is one of the ways I get information in my head, but I know for a lot of people it is not useful and they would rather practice questions. I'll make a list of the current subjects I am doing and how I am preparing for Y11. But remember, summer is a time to relax and PLEASE BALANCE YOUR WORK with going outside, meeting friends and just generally relaxing becuase you need this time to recharge so you don't burn out:

Maths:
- Corbett maths 5-a-day higher and higher +. Higher + is for those aiming for grade 9, but i also do higher because those are questions that i can definetley do and then the H+ questions challenge me.
- Past paper questions
- Dr Frost / MyMaths
- GCSE Maths Tutor (youtube)

English Lit:
- Rereading Macbeth, Christmas Carol, Inspector Calls. I'm summarising each scene/stave/act. Making notes on main characters with supported quotes and analysis which show theire development as characters. Making notes of themes when they come up with supported quotes and analysis.
- Rereading Power and Conflict anthology poems I have covered in class so far. Making notes on them using STIFF analysis (subject, tone, imagery, form, feeling). Comparing all of them them against eachother (I would not do this for all the poems, only becuase in class we have only covered 4 so far).
- learning intorduction paragraphs for macbeth and a christmas carol essays
- Mr Bruff, Mr Salles videos on YouTube are amazing, especially Mr Salles analysis of real GCSE student essays

English Language:
- honestly no idea yet, i think just a ton of past papers and also planning how to structure my answers for questions 2,3,4.

Bio / Chem / Phys
- make GCSE notes for all of them of all the topics we have covered so far referring to specification as that includes everything you need
- past paper questions for all of them.
- going over topics i especially need to practice (quantitative chemistry)
- Freescience lessons and cognito have great videos on YouTube

Computer Science:
- my teacher set a bunch of coding tasks to complete over summer as practice for paper 1
- making notes on the software hardware stuff as that is the only topic we have covered so far

Geography:
- honestly no idea yet probably make notes on physical and human topics covered so far.
- reading the textbook
- making flashcards for physical process eg. how is a waterfall formed (including diagrams and step by step explinations)
- making flahscards for case studies

Latin:
- going over all the grammar
- finish translating the literature prose
- learning all the vocab by making flashcards with principle parts

DT:
- make GCSE notes according to spec and texbook and powerpoints
- finish section A of the NEA
Reply 2
Original post by fa1r_enough
Hi, i'm in year 10 and in the same boat as you. I've started making my notes for sciences just to consolidate my knowledge, prepare them for GCSEs (so i don't waste my time during study leave) and also because making notes is one of the ways I get information in my head, but I know for a lot of people it is not useful and they would rather practice questions. I'll make a list of the current subjects I am doing and how I am preparing for Y11. But remember, summer is a time to relax and PLEASE BALANCE YOUR WORK with going outside, meeting friends and just generally relaxing becuase you need this time to recharge so you don't burn out:

Maths:
- Corbett maths 5-a-day higher and higher +. Higher + is for those aiming for grade 9, but i also do higher because those are questions that i can definetley do and then the H+ questions challenge me.
- Past paper questions
- Dr Frost / MyMaths
- GCSE Maths Tutor (youtube)

English Lit:
- Rereading Macbeth, Christmas Carol, Inspector Calls. I'm summarising each scene/stave/act. Making notes on main characters with supported quotes and analysis which show theire development as characters. Making notes of themes when they come up with supported quotes and analysis.
- Rereading Power and Conflict anthology poems I have covered in class so far. Making notes on them using STIFF analysis (subject, tone, imagery, form, feeling). Comparing all of them them against eachother (I would not do this for all the poems, only becuase in class we have only covered 4 so far).
- learning intorduction paragraphs for macbeth and a christmas carol essays
- Mr Bruff, Mr Salles videos on YouTube are amazing, especially Mr Salles analysis of real GCSE student essays

English Language:
- honestly no idea yet, i think just a ton of past papers and also planning how to structure my answers for questions 2,3,4.

Bio / Chem / Phys
- make GCSE notes for all of them of all the topics we have covered so far referring to specification as that includes everything you need
- past paper questions for all of them.
- going over topics i especially need to practice (quantitative chemistry)
- Freescience lessons and cognito have great videos on YouTube

Computer Science:
- my teacher set a bunch of coding tasks to complete over summer as practice for paper 1
- making notes on the software hardware stuff as that is the only topic we have covered so far

Geography:
- honestly no idea yet probably make notes on physical and human topics covered so far.
- reading the textbook
- making flashcards for physical process eg. how is a waterfall formed (including diagrams and step by step explinations)
- making flahscards for case studies

Latin:
- going over all the grammar
- finish translating the literature prose
- learning all the vocab by making flashcards with principle parts

DT:
- make GCSE notes according to spec and texbook and powerpoints
- finish section A of the NEA

thank you so much for these tips ! im also confused on how do i improve on like geography and english lang over the summer
Original post by masalachips
thank you so much for these tips ! im also confused on how do i improve on like geography and english lang over the summer

literally, I think for geography it's good to just remember a lot of it is common sense, but in terms of both of them I'll just focus on improving my exam technique

Quick Reply

Latest