The Student Room Group

Low 2:1 in chem eng bachelors at Nottingham going to ruin TC chances?

Graduated with a pretty much a scraped 2:1 in chemical engineering BEng from Nottingham, got a mix of 1sts, 2:1's and some 2:2's. overall grades improved every year.

Been to a few legal related events and open days and have good extra curriculars such as many committee positions in societies directly transferable to law.

Currently working in fintech in order to be able to pay fees myself for a GDL/survivial.

Going to be applying for TCs in the next cycle and for the GDL. Are my grades going to filter me out before interview? Will a good self funded GDL score counteract previous poor performance if my chances at a decent training contract are ruined?

Interested in working at a few silver circle firms. Particularly like to work in a specialization to do with financial technology and IP law.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by exam freak
Graduated with a pretty much a scraped 2:1 in chemical engineering BEng from Nottingham, got a mix of 1sts, 2:1's and some 2:2's. overall grades improved every year.

Been to a few legal related events and open days and have good extra curriculars such as many committee positions in societies directly transferable to law.

Currently working in fintech in order to be able to pay fees myself for a GDL/survivial.

Going to be applying for TCs in the next cycle and for the GDL. Are my grades going to filter me out before interview? Will a good self funded GDL score counteract previous poor performance if my chances at a decent training contract are ruined?

Interested in working at a few silver circle firms. Particularly like to work in a specialization to do with financial technology and IP law.

You'll be fine - you shouldn't get filtered as long as you have a 2.1. Most people think grades are very important, but in my experiences, the actual application and its content is more important once you've 'satisfied' the typical checklists of grades, A levels, etc.
Reply 3
Thanks for your help guys.
Original post by J-SP
Unlikely a good self funded GDL performance will help unless you start applying after you have your full results. Even then I don’t think it adds much.

But I don’t think there is an issue in the first place unless you are aiming for firms who are known to be particularly picky about academics

I dont understand the academic argument regarding training contracts to be honest. Why do some people discourage people from applying unless they have a full fleet of high 2:1s and first but others like yourself encourage people to apply if you have the 2:1 at your disposal.

I am not trying to say you are wrong - I am just after your input as to why there seems to be this disproportion where this topic is concerned. I get the argument on both sides - but why is there not a clear and distinct answer to the question are academics as important as they are made to be.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, however, I feel this will probably be useful for others if J-SP and others with experience in the sector can provide a solid answer.
Original post by J-SP
I don’t know how you got that from my post. I’ve rarely discourage people if they haven’t got all high 2.1s or 1st and when I do it is either because something else is fundamentally lacking from their profile or because they are aiming for firms known to be very academically focused.

There isn’t a set rule here - some firms do care more about academics than others. Providing a generalised advice is often vague and unhelpful, as well as being prone to subjectiveness and personal opinion. Recruitment is an art not a science and so is open to interpretation.

All I said in this post was I didn’t think the GDL would have an impact - which is rarely does (in my opinion). It wouldn’t matter what grades you got in it - unless you failed it’s highly unlikely to be a deciding factor in an application.

Sorry, I think my post was mis-interpreted, I meant you encourage people who have even the bare 60% - as opposed to others who shut down people because they dont have a first etc.

I get what you are saying, are there any firms (in your experience/knowledge) who are more picky with academics and others who are not? Most firms I look at say 2:1 will suffice, but does it really?
Original post by J-SP
You’ve got to look at the language firms use carefully. Asking for a 2.1 is different to asking for a strong 2.1. Stating they look for excellent academic performance is different to stating strong academic performance.

People who shut people down who haven’t got a first don’t really know what they are talking about. I have never heard of a firm only looking for people with firsts.

Granted that the language is key but then the issue arises where applicant has a "strong 2:1" but it might not be consistent - the issue also is many firms dont really give out this subtle hint and are mostly just 2:1 on their requirements.

Just out of curiosity - how important would you say GCSE and A-levels (or equivalent) are for where the individual has a high 2:1 or first? Always been curious as to how one can balance out the other..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending