The Student Room Group

2024 Engineering Applicants

Poll

What discipline(s) are you interested in applying to?

This is a thread for engineering applicants of all disciplines on the 2023-24 UCAS cycle (including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical & electronics, civil & structural, chemical, aerospace/aeronautical, biomedical, materials, etc.)
Introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying

Application details ice-breaker questions

What discipline(s)/areas of engineering are you applying for?
What universities are you thinking of?
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades?
GCSE grades?

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Smack
This is a thread for engineering applicants of all disciplines on the 2023-24 UCAS cycle (including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical & electronics, civil & structural, chemical, aerospace/aeronautical, biomedical, materials, etc.)

GCSE grades?

I have applied to 4 Chem Eng and 1 Aerospace.
I've applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Southampton, Sheffield (aero) and the first 4 as Chem Eng
I only applied Aero at Sheffield to make use of my AS in Further Maths as none of these (except Bath dropped grade requirement) including Sheffield Chem Eng but drop for any other type of Engineering.
My A levels are Maths, Physics, and Chem and I took AS Further Maths. Got 3A* as predicted and an A in the AS.
GCSEs 9999999887- Maths, Triple Science, History, Business, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Food Science, French.
However I'm not too sure about Southampton. Bristol and Leeds are tempting, but since I live close to Manchester, I don't really want to go there.
Anyone else?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack

GCSE grades?

Hi! I'm going to apply for robotics/mechatronics engineering at Bath, Leeds, Sheffield and Liverpool (I'm still deciding on the last university to apply to). I'm studying Maths, Economics and Physics and so far I'm being predicted A*AB but it may go up in the next week. For my GCSE's I got 777766655
Reply 3
Original post by LaurynGold
Hi! I'm going to apply for robotics/mechatronics engineering at Bath, Leeds, Sheffield and Liverpool (I'm still deciding on the last university to apply to). I'm studying Maths, Economics and Physics and so far I'm being predicted A*AB but it may go up in the next week. For my GCSE's I got 777766655

Hi I was wondering what you got in your sciences for GCSE’s?
Reply 4
Original post by theanon2
Hi I was wondering what you got in your sciences for GCSE’s?

I got 7's in all of my sciences
Reply 5
I got 7's in all of my sciences

Did your predicted go up?
Reply 6
Original post by theanon2
Did your predicted go up?

Unfortunately not but I'm still very happy with them
Reply 7
Original post by Singam21
I have applied to 4 Chem Eng and 1 Aerospace.
I've applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Bath, Southampton, Sheffield (aero) and the first 4 as Chem Eng
I only applied Aero at Sheffield to make use of my AS in Further Maths as none of these (except Bath dropped grade requirement) including Sheffield Chem Eng but drop for any other type of Engineering.
My A levels are Maths, Physics, and Chem and I took AS Further Maths. Got 3A* as predicted and an A in the AS.
GCSEs 9999999887- Maths, Triple Science, History, Business, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Food Science, French.
However I'm not too sure about Southampton. Bristol and Leeds are tempting, but since I live close to Manchester, I don't really want to go there.
Anyone else?

Did u get into Cambridge? Also do u feel chem eng is a dead course?
Original post by lolatung

Why would “chem eng” be considered a “dead course”
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Why would “chem eng” be considered a “dead course”

Is it boring and dull? And no jobs
Is it boring and dull? And no jobs

I wouldn’t say it’s inherently boring but that’s personal - if you find chem eng boring there’s a good chance you would also find other engineering disciplines boring.

Well i work with chem eng grads who seem gainfully employed in good companies & the main markets for chem eng I don’t see drying up personally.
Reply 11
Hi!
I’m applying for Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
I’m thinking Imperial, UCL, KCL, QMUL and Brunel, but I’m not sure about Brunel. I have two safe unis so I think I should change it. (If anyone has any other good London unis for EEE, I’d appreciate it!)
I got an A* in A-Level Maths last year and I am predicted A*s in Further Maths and Physics. I got 9999999988 at GCSEs!
Applying tomorrow ! :smile:

Original post by Smack

GCSE grades?

Original post by xbqvz
Hi!
I’m applying for Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
I’m thinking Imperial, UCL, KCL, QMUL and Brunel, but I’m not sure about Brunel. I have two safe unis so I think I should change it. (If anyone has any other good London unis for EEE, I’d appreciate it!)
I got an A* in A-Level Maths last year and I am predicted A*s in Further Maths and Physics. I got 9999999988 at GCSEs!
Applying tomorrow ! :smile:

Good luck with your application!
Reply 13
Good luck with your application!

Thank you!
Reply 14

no, ive applied this year 23, so I haven't got in, to be honest I don't know why I have chosen Chem Eng, it looked cool researching it, plenty of jobs compared to aero eg and really good job prospects following university, but it does look a bit difficult now I read more into it, idk we will find out
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Smack

GCSE grades?

Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering
Bristol, Southampton, Sheffield, Nottingham, (Durham, Leeds or Liverpool I cannot decide haha)
A*A*A - Maths, Physics and Further Maths respectively
AS Grades: AAAA (Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Geography respectively)
GCSE grades: 99999988877
Reply 16
Original post by Singam21
no, ive applied this year 23, so I haven't got in, to be honest I don't know why I have chosen Chem Eng, it looked cool researching it, plenty of jobs compared to aero eg and really good job prospects following university, but it does look a bit difficult now I read more into it, idk we will find out

Exactly it looks hard and it has a lot of maths. Personally I’m just worried if we’re allowed to use calculators during the chem eng exams because I ain’t doing mental maths
Also did u sit the NSAA, I guessed half the math answers; it was so difficult. Don’t think I’ll get in
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi! What discipline(s)/areas of engineering are you applying for?
Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering

Cambridge, Edinburgh, Southampton (aero), Sheffield, Durham

A level predicted grades?
A*A*AA* - Maths, Physics, Chem, Further Maths

AS Grades: AAAA (Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chem)
GCSE grades: 9999988887

So far had offers through from Sheffield and Southampton. Hoping I have a chance at Cambridge but ENGAA paper 2 was a pain
(edited 6 months ago)
Exactly it looks hard and it has a lot of maths. Personally I’m just worried if we’re allowed to use calculators during the chem eng exams because I ain’t doing mental maths
Also did u sit the NSAA, I guessed half the math answers; it was so difficult. Don’t think I’ll get in

You'll be allowed a calculator in your exams. Maybe some universities might have a non-calculator maths paper, but I'm not aware of any.
I need help. I applied for Aerospace Engineering at Uni of Liverpool but now I am thinking of substituting it for Uni of Manchester after seeing its graduate employments arent great. The only thing which is deterring me is Manchester city itself since I prefer Liverpool City over Manchester. What do you think I should do guys?

Quick Reply

Latest