The Student Room Group

Durham or Sheffield?

So I have offers for both... Law at Sheffield and Sociology at Durham (this is after applying for neither of those subjects originally and having a completely different personal statement, lol). I love both places but think the experiences I would have would be completely different? People keep telling me to go for Law because Sociology is a "softer" option but I can't bring myself to put Durham as my insurance - they were so nice, really helpful and Durham/ the university looks lovely! But Sheffield could potentially be a lot more fun. Opinions please? :biggrin:
Law seems like a career choice, wheras sociology just seems soft like you have said, do whatever feels right. every choice you make has a reason behind it and aslong as you can understand your reasoning for your actions then if it turns out to be a wrong decision, thats just life (Skins last night was very insightful lol)
Reply 2
I'm probably a bit biased because I applied to Sheffield, but I ended up loving it a lot more. I found the atmosphere, friendliness and people a lot more welcoming than Durham. However, my open day there wasn't such a fantastic experience. It seems like you do like both universities, so I can't suggest going with your gut feeling.

Law and Sociology are pretty different, though (despite the fact that you got by on one PS). Both are quite open and flexible in that you can still go onto other fields afterwards, although Law could potentially give more scope for you, career-wise. Even though you don't have to decide now, do think carefully about possible future career paths. If you still can't decide, look at both courses in a lot of depth and consider which one you may benefit from more (both personally and academically).
If law's something you want to go into, you can do a conversion course and a lot of places prefer that.

Also, in terms of future employment, Durham is a much more well-respected university than Sheffield. I know that a law course sounds better than sociology, but I've heard from quite a few people (not just randomers, but like people who come in and give lectures at my school etc) who say that the reputation of the uni is often more important than whether it's the best uni for that particular course, and sometimes even the course itself as long as you come out with a good degree. So a top-notch grade at a top-notch uni looks better than good/average degree at a good/average uni. And a good uni like Durham won't exactly have a rubbish/dossy course. Sociology can still be demanding, and I think in a lot of places it lends itself well to taking electives in things like philosophy and psychology too, and those are certainly good.

I'd go for Durham.
Reply 4
All very interesting, thank you!
Reply 5
GingerMarshmallow
So a top-notch grade at a top-notch uni looks better than good/average degree at a good/average uni.

Durham is no Cambridge. The Durham name isn't enough to offset the perceived weakness/softness, of Sociology, compared to a Law degree at Sheffield.

Go for Law at Sheffield if you want to actually study Law, just don't go to Durham for the name if you'd rather not do Sociology.
Sheffield.
GingerMarshmallow
If law's something you want to go into, you can do a conversion course and a lot of places prefer that.

Also, in terms of future employment, Durham is a much more well-respected university than Sheffield. I know that a law course sounds better than sociology, but I've heard from quite a few people (not just randomers, but like people who come in and give lectures at my school etc) who say that the reputation of the uni is often more important than whether it's the best uni for that particular course, and sometimes even the course itself as long as you come out with a good degree. So a top-notch grade at a top-notch uni looks better than good/average degree at a good/average uni. And a good uni like Durham won't exactly have a rubbish/dossy course. Sociology can still be demanding, and I think in a lot of places it lends itself well to taking electives in things like philosophy and psychology too, and those are certainly good.

I'd go for Durham.

*Sighs* not necessarily. Sometimes yes, sometimes no...it all depends.

Incidentally I know someone who got a 2.1 in law (he switched from sociology) from Durham and couldn't get a job to save his life, so the university is clearly not the only factor. That said a law degree is considerably more employable than a sociology degree (I say this being a social scientist myself) so if the OP is prioritising future job prospects, I'd have to say I think she'd have a better chance with law.

That said, if you love Durham with a passion and Sheffield doesn't match up for you, go there. You can always convert to law afterwards through the GDL if you want to go into it as a career.
Reply 8
GingerMarshmallow
So a top-notch grade at a top-notch uni .

I've never understood why Durham has this reputation of being the so amazing. It's great sure, but it's not like Durham is the golden ticket to graduate employment. It's not really a substitute for doing a degree where the OP might not be happy for three years.
Reply 9
The reputation difference isn't at all important to me, I was wondering mainly about the courses (as obviously they are very different) followed closely where I'm going to enjoy living most for three years. Think I'll put Sheffield as my firm because I looove it and Durham is unconditional so makes the best insurance! Thanks for all the advice.
magicbean
The reputation difference isn't at all important to me, I was wondering mainly about the courses (as obviously they are very different) followed closely where I'm going to enjoy living most for three years. Think I'll put Sheffield as my firm because I looove it and Durham is unconditional so makes the best insurance! Thanks for all the advice.

Best of luck, enjoy it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending