The Student Room Group

Unis for English Lit?

Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and am trying to finish off my choices before Christmas. I am unsure about my last two choices... So far I've had offers from Birmingham (uob) - BBB and Manchester - ABB (both are contextual, obviously) and have applied to Warwick.

I'm stuck for where else to apply to? I am predicted A*AB. I don't want to apply to anywhere too far away but do want to move a distance (unless it is in Wales)—I live in the East Midlands. Nottingham seems like a good choice but it's very close. I want to go to a Uni that is in a city centre (Warwick is a push to be honest).

Any thoughts? Please!
Original post by thefigtree
Hi, I'm applying for English Literature and am trying to finish off my choices before Christmas. I am unsure about my last two choices... So far I've had offers from Birmingham (uob) - BBB and Manchester - ABB (both are contextual, obviously) and have applied to Warwick.

I'm stuck for where else to apply to? I am predicted A*AB. I don't want to apply to anywhere too far away but do want to move a distance (unless it is in Wales)—I live in the East Midlands. Nottingham seems like a good choice but it's very close. I want to go to a Uni that is in a city centre (Warwick is a push to be honest).

Any thoughts? Please!

As far as a city university is concerned would you consider UCL or would you prefer not to be in London. You could look at Sheffield or Leeds both quite big cities. The other options would perhaps be Durham which is really good for English but a very small place. It is built on colleges which are spread throughout the city and the English is taught in the city. Another option might be Bristol which is a city university or a bit further Exeter. This is a campus university but a short walk from the city centre.

Any thoughts? Please!

York and Leicester could also be options.
Hi!

I am from the East Midlands myself, which was one of the reasons behind choosing the University of Sheffield initially. It is the perfect mix of big city vibes and quiet green spaces, due to the close proximity of the Peak District and the green spaces dotted around the city and the campus. I am also a 3rd year English Language and Linguistics student and have some experience with Literature modules; the course so far has been fantastic and the support available is faultless. If you have any questions about the University or the course itself, then feel free to ask me anything!

The City of Sheffield itself is lovely and there is always a lot going on, and there is also the added bonus of Meadowhall shopping centre only being a short tram journey away. I have actually decided to stay in Sheffield after my studies as I enjoy living here so much :smile:

Wishing you the best of luck in future!

Ellie (3rd year English Language and Linguistics student)
(edited 4 months ago)

Any thoughts? Please!

Nottingham is a very strong English department so would definitely recommend considering it. York may also be worth looking at. If you meet contextual requirements might want to consider Durham too, if that's not too far out for you? Likewise if you don't mind going to London, may want to consider some options there if you meet contextual offer requirements (e.g. UCL).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending