The Student Room Group

How are SUMS/MUMS scores calculated?

I've seen this guide (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/guide-to-ums-averages-when-applying-to-cambridge) but have a few questions about it.

Firstly, I assume now with linear science qualifications, SUMS is not a thing?

With MUMS, how does this work? I see in the guide it says all maths modules are averaged. Does this mean that someone who has sat a-level maths a year early (done harder modules) will probably get a lower MUMS than someone who has only done AS maths by the time the application is made?

Are ALL modules included in this average? Or only the best 6 (the ones put towards the a-level grade). The reason I ask this is if I do an extra module (for fun) but do badly in it, will it affect the MUMS?

Also, I see that it says that in the MUMS, AS modules resat in Y13 don't count (the Y12 ones are used). Is this the same for A2 modules sat in Y12?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by pocrates
Firstly, I assume now with linear science qualifications, SUMS is not a thing?

That's the key point, so there's not much point pursuing the other questions :smile:

Are you doing English exam board AS / A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
That's the key point, so there's not much point pursuing the other questions :smile:

Are you doing English exam board AS / A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I have just finished Y13 so did linear science but modular maths. Was thinking about a Cambridge application as I'm taking a gap year so was just trying to get an idea how I'd square up to everyone else.

I had a look at a few FOI where anonymised candidate information was shown and was trying to gauge what I was like compared to them. Hence my questions about calculating MUMS (as maths is the only subject I took which was modular).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by pocrates
No I have just finished Y13 so did linear science but modular maths. Was thinking about a Cambridge application as I'm taking a gap year so was just trying to get an idea how I'd square up to everyone else.

I had a look at a few FOI where anonymised candidate information was shown and was trying to gauge what I was like compared to them. Hence my questions about calculating MUMS (as maths is the only subject I took which was modular).

For MUMS you just add all your module % UMS and divide by the number of modules taken.

But it's not so relevant for a post qualification applicant. You have completed your A-levels and that's what they are interested in.

Which course are you considering? And what are your A-levels and grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending