The Student Room Group

Natural Sciences Applicants Cambridge 2025

In anticipation of applications next year.
Which A levels do you take?
Which colleges are you looking to apply to?
What are you gcses?
What are your predicted grades (if you have them)?
+Any other fun facts about yourself
Reply 1
Hey, not an applicant but thought it would be a good idea to remind everyone in this thread who didn't already know that the Natural Sciences admissions tests for the 2025 application cohort are changing! What once was the NSAA is now the ESAT, an exam shared with Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Veterinary Medicine, as well as Natural Sciences. https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/how/science-engineering-admission-test
Original post by AoiJuniper
In anticipation of applications next year.
Which A levels do you take?
Which colleges are you looking to apply to?
What are you gcses?
What are your predicted grades (if you have them)?
+Any other fun facts about yourself

Hi! I’ll be the first. I take maths further maths chem and physics. I have 9 nines, an 8 and a 7 at gcse, I’m looking to apply for physical natural sciences at Jesus, Christ’s or corpus. I have 4A*s predicted and a fun fact would be that I’ve gone to 15 metres below the sea without scuba equipment (free diving). I’m obsessed with all things natural sciences so very happy to talk to people about it!
Reply 3
Nice to meet you!
I may as well do myself then haha
I also take maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
I’m probably going to apply to Newnham College.
For GCSEs I got 10 9s, an A* and an 8.
Don’t have predicteds yet but I’m hoping that I’ll be on 4A*s
Fun fact(s) about me- I’m a bit of a hippie and I love nature and walking, running and climbing. I also play 3 instruments :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi! I’ll be the first. I take maths further maths chem and physics. I have 9 nines, an 8 and a 7 at gcse, I’m looking to apply for physical natural sciences at Jesus, Christ’s or corpus. I have 4A*s predicted and a fun fact would be that I’ve gone to 15 metres below the sea without scuba equipment (free diving). I’m obsessed with all things natural sciences so very happy to talk to people about it!

Also do you have to hold your breath when you go 15m under? Is there a big pressure difference?
Also do you have to hold your breath when you go 15m under? Is there a big pressure difference?

Nice to meet you! Yes there’s a large difference in pressure. For every metre or so you go down you must equalise by holding your nose and forcing air through your sinuses into your ears (you can try it anywhere).
Reply 6
Original post by TheSturmanator
Nice to meet you! Yes there’s a large difference in pressure. For every metre or so you go down you must equalise by holding your nose and forcing air through your sinuses into your ears (you can try it anywhere).

Oh wow- there’s a use for doing that! That’s sick! And do you have to go up slowly to get yourself used to the pressure change?
Oh wow- there’s a use for doing that! That’s sick! And do you have to go up slowly to get yourself used to the pressure change?

Good question! When you scuba dive you do go up slowly to prevent bubbles of nitrogen building up in your blood, but when you free dive there’s no need because the only air you have is a lung-full from when you inhaled at the surface. When you think about it, that volume of air can only decrease at lower pressures and when you decrease the pressure by ascending, the volume increases to only the original lung capacity as before so there’s no risk. Hoping that physical explanation makes sense, we’re in a NatSci thread after all!
Reply 8
Original post by TheSturmanator
Good question! When you scuba dive you do go up slowly to prevent bubbles of nitrogen building up in your blood, but when you free dive there’s no need because the only air you have is a lung-full from when you inhaled at the surface. When you think about it, that volume of air can only decrease at lower pressures and when you decrease the pressure by ascending, the volume increases to only the original lung capacity as before so there’s no risk. Hoping that physical explanation makes sense, we’re in a NatSci thread after all!

Yes the second explanation does make sense! Why is it though that the nitrogen gets into your blood if you go too quickly up when you’re scuba diving?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous

Also may I ask why you like those particular colleges? :tongue:
Yes the second explanation does make sense! Why is it though that the nitrogen gets into your blood if you go too quickly up when you’re scuba diving?

Now we’re getting into a proper enquiry. I’ve never thought that far. It’s something to do with the composition of the scuba tank you use. There are different types. I’ve only used compressed air because it’s much safer, but you can get ones that are higher proportions of oxygen so that you get a better oxygen economy from a smaller tank. I’m going to guess that the nitrogen gets into your blood because of the difference in pressure between the gas in your blood and the gas in the tank? I’ll do some digging, let me know if you find anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending