The Student Room Group

MPhil Advanced Computer Science Cambridge - 2024 Entry

Starting a thread for anyone looking to apply to the MPhil in Advanced Computer Science at Cambridge for entry in 2024 - can only find a 2021 thread on here!

Feel free to talk about what course you're studying, what areas/groups you're looking to apply to, what your profile is like (grades, papers, anything) and where else you're applying.

Best of luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I thought this was a great idea, as I was looking at this student form and also could only find some from 2021. I was planning on creating a similar thread, so glad you did already :smile:

To get the ball rolling, would you mind providing some information about yourself and how are you finding the overall application process? I'm hoping to get mine in before the funding ends.
Reply 2
Original post by sonjuj74
Hi,

I thought this was a great idea, as I was looking at this student form and also could only find some from 2021. I was planning on creating a similar thread, so glad you did already :smile:

To get the ball rolling, would you mind providing some information about yourself and how are you finding the overall application process? I'm hoping to get mine in before the funding ends.

Hey! So nice to see a fellow applicant - I'm also planning on getting my application sent in ASAP, I was originally aiming for end of October but uni is proving stressful.

I'm applying to the Security group, and have got plenty of ideas for proposals that I need to iron out properly. I am doing my undergrad in Cyber Security and have the top score in my class, with what I think is a decently strong first - what about you?

I have to say the worst part about the application process has got to be the written questions. I am struggling on getting career goals and "why ACS" to not overlap :frown: Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by AnaaaElec
Hey! So nice to see a fellow applicant - I'm also planning on getting my application sent in ASAP, I was originally aiming for end of October but uni is proving stressful.

I'm applying to the Security group, and have got plenty of ideas for proposals that I need to iron out properly. I am doing my undergrad in Cyber Security and have the top score in my class, with what I think is a decently strong first - what about you?

I have to say the worst part about the application process has got to be the written questions. I am struggling on getting career goals and "why ACS" to not overlap :frown: Best of luck!

Hi :smile: It is also nice speak to a fellow applicant and of course I wish you all the best for your application. That's very cool, but I imagine maybe aiming for something outside of AI i.e. Cyber Security may also be beneficial and help your chances. It also sounds if you have an idea of what you want to do, which will come across very well, as you seem passionate about the group.

My situation is probably a bit different from most (well I think so anyway). I have actually been working for the past couple of years as a SWE since I graduated my Computer Science degree. I got a first, however I didn't have the most consistent transcript, resulting in my getting a low first class. I'm hoping that the work I've done since will balance out my application. Overall working as a SWE has given me genuine thoughts on to what I want to achieve career/life wise!

This now leads nicely into the bit you're struggling with, as I'm also struggling with them 2 questions, as they have a lot of crossover. I find this especially the case with the MPhil application, as it's a course designed to lead to a PhD, being why and career goals.

Are you just applying for MPhil ACS, or you looking at other courses? I.e. maybe the MPhil Machine Intelligence, but I imagine this is less relevant based on your Cyber Security background or other degrees :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sonjuj74
Hi :smile: It is also nice speak to a fellow applicant and of course I wish you all the best for your application. That's very cool, but I imagine maybe aiming for something outside of AI i.e. Cyber Security may also be beneficial and help your chances. It also sounds if you have an idea of what you want to do, which will come across very well, as you seem passionate about the group.

My situation is probably a bit different from most (well I think so anyway). I have actually been working for the past couple of years as a SWE since I graduated my Computer Science degree. I got a first, however I didn't have the most consistent transcript, resulting in my getting a low first class. I'm hoping that the work I've done since will balance out my application. Overall working as a SWE has given me genuine thoughts on to what I want to achieve career/life wise!

This now leads nicely into the bit you're struggling with, as I'm also struggling with them 2 questions, as they have a lot of crossover. I find this especially the case with the MPhil application, as it's a course designed to lead to a PhD, being why and career goals.

Are you just applying for MPhil ACS, or you looking at other courses? I.e. maybe the MPhil Machine Intelligence, but I imagine this is less relevant based on your Cyber Security background or other degrees :smile:

Honestly it's a relief to see most people aim for AI - I feel like I have a lot less competition which eases my nerves a lot for this application process! I am not applying for anything else at Cambridge, since MLMI isn't up my street, but I am looking at computer science at other universities too.

Your background sounds very unique compared to the average applicant, and I wouldn't worry about having a low First - someone I know from Cambridge told me that ACS will still consider any first and at the open day, I remember they said relevant work experience can help bolster your application, especially if it is industry experience that helps make up for any inconsistencies as you said :smile:

What group are you looking into at the moment? I'm really intrigued by what someone with your background would want to pick!
Reply 5
Honestly it's a relief to see most people aim for AI - I feel like I have a lot less competition which eases my nerves a lot for this application process! I am not applying for anything else at Cambridge, since MLMI isn't up my street, but I am looking at computer science at other universities too.

Your background sounds very unique compared to the average applicant, and I wouldn't worry about having a low First - someone I know from Cambridge told me that ACS will still consider any first and at the open day, I remember they said relevant work experience can help bolster your application, especially if it is industry experience that helps make up for any inconsistencies as you said :smile:

What group are you looking into at the moment? I'm really intrigued by what someone with your background would want to pick!

Oh nice! I actually looked at some of your posts, so I see what you're looking to apply to. Good luck! I have a lot of pressure, as I'm at that age where I feel as if I don't get in this year - then I most likely won't be able to apply for a masters and have to look at some other potential options.

I'm hoping so, as I feel compared to most - I didn't really fully utilise my potential during my A-Levels and early years of my undergrad. By that, I mean I simply didn't work hard enough and had different goals. Since I've been working as a SWE for the past couple of years, it's given me a greater appreciation for education and learning, resulting me in development a appetite for self-learning dedicating around 10-20 hours a week outside of work!

That description was a long roundabout answer to basically saying the AI group with a focus in GNNs currently. My journey into AI is probably a bit different to most where it stemmed from me wanting to become a better SWE, aka. algorithms are the crutch of any coding interview. I learnt the basics of mathematics which was applied to ML, such as linear algebra, calculus etc. that then all evolved into learning about DL etc.!
Reply 6
I'm looking to apply - does anyone have any tips? What do you think makes your application stand out compared to others?

Hi I was also thinking about applying - cool your doing Cyber Sec - what kind of thing do you want to do / do they have a good Cyber Sec rep at Cambridge? I don't have any work experience you have industry experience in cyber sec or just general computer science?
Had an interview last year but did not get a spot, trying again this year. Good luck everyone.

I would recommend writing a strong research proposal so that you feel confident with the topic during potential interview questions. I tried being too innovative and could not provide deep enough answers to the interviewer.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
Had an interview last year but did not get a spot, trying again this year. Good luck everyone.

I would recommend writing a strong research proposal so that you feel confident with the topic during potential interview questions. I tried being too innovative and could not provide deep enough answers to the interviewer.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice that makes sense! What area of research are you interested in/applying to? Other than that, did they just go through the research proposal or did they cover anything else, I.e from your CV?

Good luck with your application this year! Have you done anything else the past year to boost your chances?
Original post by Anonymous #2

Do you have any general advice for writing the research proposal? I'm struggling, as it's something that will happen in 1.5 years and not sure how in detailed to go!
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi I was also thinking about applying - cool your doing Cyber Sec - what kind of thing do you want to do / do they have a good Cyber Sec rep at Cambridge? I don't have any work experience you have industry experience in cyber sec or just general computer science?

Hi - I have a bit of industry experience from internships, but no proper jobs in cybersec. I am still a student so most of my grounding is in research areas that my degree covers, projects with faculty, or my dissertation. My degree is in Cyber Security so that's my most comfortable group - but i also like exploring human-centric topics surrounding computer science, which is my secondary area I'm applying to.

Cambridge's cybercrime centre and general security research really interests me in particular, and not many other universities cover those specific areas - hence I'm really excited to apply to this security group owing to its relevance to my fields of study and how involved the faculty are as big names in my security interests.

Hi - I have a bit of industry experience from internships, but no proper jobs in cybersec. I am still a student so most of my grounding is in research areas that my degree covers, projects with faculty, or my dissertation. My degree is in Cyber Security so that's my most comfortable group - but i also like exploring human-centric topics surrounding computer science, which is my secondary area I'm applying to.

Cambridge's cybercrime centre and general security research really interests me in particular, and not many other universities cover those specific areas - hence I'm really excited to apply to this security group owing to its relevance to my fields of study and how involved the faculty are as big names in my security interests.

Can I ask what uni you went to for cyber ? :smile:
How is everyone application looking with the funding deadline coming up?
Reply 14
Original post by xanderread
Can I ask what uni you went to for cyber ? :smile:

I'm currently at Warwick!
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous #3

Currently working on formatting my CV properly, and getting all the essay questions done... the research proposal is a big worry, but I'm trying to get everything out of the way first so I at least have my references all sorted by next week! It's all terrifying ☹️
Original post by Anonymous #3

Yeah just sorting references :smile:
Reply 17
Currently working on formatting my CV properly, and getting all the essay questions done... the research proposal is a big worry, but I'm trying to get everything out of the way first so I at least have my references all sorted by next week! It's all terrifying ☹️

I can imagine and I’m having similar issues! I’m hoping to submit before the funding deadline, but the char limit feels like a constraint. It should be short but feels as if there isn’t enough words.

I’m struggling with the research proposal as there doesn’t seem to be many guidelines on how to format it. Do you know what you’re doing your proposal on at least?
Reply 18
Original post by DNOFHF
I can imagine and I’m having similar issues! I’m hoping to submit before the funding deadline, but the char limit feels like a constraint. It should be short but feels as if there isn’t enough words.

I’m struggling with the research proposal as there doesn’t seem to be many guidelines on how to format it. Do you know what you’re doing your proposal on at least?

I've got a clear area for the proposal but no specifics yet ;-; if this helps I'm following this guide to help format mine How to write your research proposal - CDH (cam.ac.uk), it's not written by the CL but Digital Humanities is adjacent enough imo!
Reply 19
I've got a clear area for the proposal but no specifics yet ;-; if this helps I'm following this guide to help format mine How to write your research proposal - CDH (cam.ac.uk), it's not written by the CL but Digital Humanities is adjacent enough imo!

Thank you that is extremely useful! I had a fairly similar structure in mind. I also saw that in terms of batches do we have to submit our application prior the the 1st of December? I just assumed if we submitted before the funding deadline we would be considered for the first batch 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending