The Student Room Group

Maths in cambridge

Hello,
I am a A-level student currently studying maths, further maths, computer science and physics and am looking to apply to Cambridge to study maths.
My GCSES were below average for Oxbridge standards and I am really scared that no matter how well I do in my A-level I will still get rejected because of my poor GCSES.
for context I got:
9 in maths, 99 in combined science, L2D* for engineering, 7 for geography, computer science and English lang, 6 for Lit and 3 in Spanish.
What are my chances of actually getting in?

Scroll to see replies

Statistically everyone's chances of getting into Cambridge are slim. Wait and see what your realistic A level predictions are.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Statistically everyone's chances of getting into Cambridge are slim. Wait and see what your realistic A level predictions are.

I am predicted AAAB right now and I am hoping to bump that up to A*AAA after my proper mocks.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am predicted AAAB right now and I am hoping to bump that up to A*AAA after my proper mocks.

What other stuff have you done to show your passion for Maths?

Your GCSEs aren't a barrier.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
What other stuff have you done to show your passion for Maths?

Your GCSEs aren't a barrier.

I've been reading math books, Listening to math podcasts and follow some math youtubers! Any other recommendation to what more I could be doing?
Reply 5
Hello,
I am a A-level student currently studying maths, further maths, computer science and physics and am looking to apply to Cambridge to study maths.
My GCSES were below average for Oxbridge standards and I am really scared that no matter how well I do in my A-level I will still get rejected because of my poor GCSES.
for context I got:
9 in maths, 99 in combined science, L2D* for engineering, 7 for geography, computer science and English lang, 6 for Lit and 3 in Spanish.
What are my chances of actually getting in?

i know this isnt related to your question , but a 9 in maths is impressive , I wish I could do that in 2 years time :frown:
Original post by Anonymous

The standard offer for Cambridge and Oxford maths is A*A*A (I strongly suspect they'll expect to see the A*s in maths and FM specifically too). So you really need to aim to get up to that for your predicted grades.

You may want to consider dropping one of the extra A-levels if that would help you reach the standard offer by giving you more time to focus on just the required three A-levels (especially maths/FM).
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
I've been reading math books, Listening to math podcasts and follow some math youtubers! Any other recommendation to what more I could be doing?

You need to up your predictions of course. 4 Alevels including FMaths should not be an issue.

What maths have you looked at outside the spec?

Have you talked to your teachers about Cambridge? We ae having those conversations and I'll start additional classes with all those thinking of Oxbridge around Easter.
Reply 8
Original post by Alm_xo
i know this isnt related to your question , but a 9 in maths is impressive , I wish I could do that in 2 years time :frown:

I barely made it like, I was 1 mark away from not getting a 9😭
Reply 9
You need to up your predictions of course. 4 Alevels including FMaths should not be an issue.

What maths have you looked at outside the spec?

Have you talked to your teachers about Cambridge? We ae having those conversations and I'll start additional classes with all those thinking of Oxbridge around Easter.

Yes, I talked to my teachers and they said its way to early to be giving out A* right now so hopefully it will change soon.

I haven't really been looking at any maths outside the spec expect the books I am reading, All the extra time I get I've been investing it into STEP

Yes my head of six form knows about my desire to go Cambridge with some other staff member, I have applied to their summerschool.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger
The standard offer for Cambridge and Oxford maths is A*A*A (I strongly suspect they'll expect to see the A*s in maths and FM specifically too). So you really need to aim to get up to that for your predicted grades.

You may want to consider dropping one of the extra A-levels if that would help you reach the standard offer by giving you more time to focus on just the required three A-levels (especially maths/FM).

All of the subjects are fairly maths focused so idk if I can drop any, CS maybe
Yes, I talked to my teachers and they said its way to early to be giving out A* right now so hopefully it will change soon.

I haven't really been looking at any maths outside the spec expect the books I am reading, All the extra time I get I've been investing it into STEP

Yes my head of six form knows about my desire to go Cambridge with some other staff member, I have applied to their summerschool.

Summer school? You should get free help in school time - is this a private [fee-paying] school?

Have you done UKMT challenges?
Reply 12
No summer school is free for me??, No it is not a private school quite the opposite actually the school falls on the worse quantile and stuff

Yes, I've tried some UKMT challenges but haven't actively participated in any competition.
No summer school is free for me??, No it is not a private school quite the opposite actually the school falls on the worse quantile and stuff

Yes, I've tried some UKMT challenges but haven't actively participated in any competition.

Lowest quartile of what?

I would suggest taking the SMC next year; why doesn't your school do the challenges?
All of the subjects are fairly maths focused so idk if I can drop any, CS maybe

You only need to take maths, FM, and one other subject. They don't care what the third subject is.
Reply 15

You only need to take maths, FM, and one other subject. They don't care what the third subject is.

Yes, but i also have personal reasons to why i cant drop it😬😬
Yes, but i also have personal reasons to why i cant drop it😬😬

Ok well, you kind of just need to get over that and do it anyway or write off applying to Oxbridge. Up to you.

A*AAA isn't likely to be competitive, as the majority of applicants will a) have A*A*A which is the requirement anyway and b) have A*A* in maths and FM specifically.
Reply 17

Lowest quartile of what?

I would suggest taking the SMC next year; why doesn't your school do the challenges?

What is the SMC, IDK why my school doesn’t do those competitions.

Lowest quintile**
Original post by dtamang
Lowest quartile of what?

What is the SMC, IDK why my school doesn’t do those competitions.

Lowest quintile**
You said quantile which isn't quartile or quintile!

Ask them why they don't participate -it's not expensive.
Reply 19

Ok well, you kind of just need to get over that and do it anyway or write off applying to Oxbridge. Up to you.

A*AAA isn't likely to be competitive, as the majority of applicants will a) have A*A*A which is the requirement anyway and b) have A*A* in maths and FM specifically.

I am just gonna have to get A*A*AA then😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending