The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymouspsych
The subjects worked really well together for me because you end up using a lot of maths in chemistry and physics too. I also feel that if you do A Level Maths, you are defo at an advantage with the maths side of things with chemistry and physics. Particular with the exams I sat this year, physics and chemistry had a lot of maths and for me that was great, whereas for other who weren't so mathematically confident it wasn't so great.

For me I would say Physics was probs the hardest out of the bunch just because of the nature of the questions they give in exams. Having said that though, physics isn't too bad either if you keep up with everything and continuously practise throughout the two years.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Did you find Further Maths took up more time than physics and chemistry added together?
Original post by AJ_3003
I did Maths at A-Level, as long as you're passionate about it and enjoy it, then it will come to you at ease. However, it is the UMS on each paper that matters and not the number of marks. So you could get 60/75 on a past paper, and get 80 UMS one time and 90 UMS another time. If you don't mind me asking, which exam board are you doing for Maths and FM?

My only advice is do all calculations in the exams, regardless as if you think if it's wrong as you can get method marks. My whole A-Level grade was saved by doing some random working out and managed to scrape together an A grade at the end. Also, do as many past papers as possible, it prepares you well for the exams, especially at A2 with C3 and C4.

I didn't do Further, but the person I knew who did it found it alright, except some exams were on the same day so they had to do them back-to-back.

Thank you for the advice! Our school does AQA for maths and FM.
Original post by SerenaVioletear
Yeah the A levels have been changed- no more AS levels just one exam at the end of the two years. However as I’m doing both, you take A level after one year at the end of year 12 then FM at the end of year 13 with your other subjects.

I worried about how I’ll manage with FM. I am not ‘bad’ at maths (9 at IGCSE and A in FSMQ Additional Maths- highest grades) but far from an exceptional student.

Were there any topics that were hard to get particularly hard for you to get your head around?

Depends. What’s the school like tat you’re going to
Original post by black1blade
I found both quite challenging as I was learning but I did maths in year 12 then further maths in year 13. By the time I reached further maths exams in year 13 I actually struggled less than I did with the normal maths exams even though I did pretty much exactly as good in both. I guess my strengths were strengthened (pure and mechanics) but weaknesses amplified (stats and decision) with further. If you do all your exams at the end of year 13 then firstly good luck with 24 hours worth of exams that count for 4 a-levels. Secondly you'll probably find normal maths quite easy by then in comparison to further. You're doing a great combo of a-level, they just require A LOT of work and practice.

Yeah I will do the same as you in terms of taking the maths A level at the end of year 12 and FM at the end of year 13. At the end did you find FM hard to manage (when you took it with your other exams at the end of year 13)? Thank you for your reply!
Thank you for the advice! Our school does AQA for maths and FM.

That's good then, I did AQA this year and it was very fun. Good luck in your Maths and FM.
Original post by Bogotá
Depends. What’s the school like tat you’re going to

I don’t really understand the question you’re asking. Do you mean what exam board?- AQA for both. I go to relatively good private school for A level (55 on ranking in the UK for A levels according to bestschools).
Original post by AJ_3003
That's good then, I did AQA this year and it was very fun. Good luck in your Maths and FM.

Thank you! :smile:
Maths is quite formulaic at A level. The formula is

Go through worked examples and theory
Do 10-20 questions, starting with simple easy ones and building up (e.g. odd questions in your textbook)
Go on to next topic
Once done, do 5+ past papers

To enhance your learning, teach other people or answer questions on here. Explain things to others. This is the Feynman technique in action and boosts your learning to another level. I used to help a heck of a lot on here throughout my A levels in Maths/F.Maths, Chemistry and Biology and no surprise I got straight As (A* didn't exist then) - I got more in return from helping others than they got from me, if that makes sense. Partly this is because you're caught off-guard and questions pop up from all areas of the syllabus - some of it that you probably did months ago and forgot. So by thinking about these, you build mental links between different techniques and different areas of the syllabus. It's that holistic view - in every subject - which gets you the top grades, but if you've been doing it throughout your study anyway, it exams become a doddle.
(edited 5 years ago)
please learn content in advance, your life will be much easier
I don’t really understand the question you’re asking. Do you mean what exam board?- AQA for both. I go to relatively good private school for A level (55 on ranking in the UK for A levels according to bestschools).

Talking about quality of teaching, you will be fine
Original post by JaydorIV
please learn content in advance, your life will be much easier
I haven't really looked at any A level maths this summer yet D: I still have a week left although I am slightly clueless about where to start. Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Bogotá
Talking about quality of teaching, you will be fine
I guess the quality of teaching is ok ish. Thank you!
I haven't really looked at any A level maths this summer yet D: I still have a week left although I am slightly clueless about where to start. Thank you! :smile:

if you're doing Edexcel, I can possibly give you the PDF text book to learn from if you want
if you're doing Edexcel, I can possibly give you the PDF text book to learn from if you want
Thank you for your offer but our school does AQA D:
Thank you for your offer but our school does AQA D:

oh dear, I did a AQA past paper once, it was so hard, i felt like I was doing a maths paper for kids in China. good luck 👍
oh dear, I did a AQA past paper once, it was so hard, i felt like I was doing a maths paper for kids in China. good luck 👍

That's reassuring haha
Thank you!
I'm choosing the exact same A levels and I got 8 in GCSE maths and C at OCR FSMQ Additional Maths. I wasn't taught any add maths as my set 1 class were really bad at GCSE and I was entered into it last minute when I joined set 1 and didn't revise for GCSE as i bet my teachers I could get 9's without revision lol. Didn't work out though only managed to do it in physics. Good luck anyways.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BiggieH5202
I'm choosing the exact same A levels and I got 8 in GCSE maths and C at OCR FSMQ Additional Maths. I wasn't taught any add maths as my set 1 class were really bad at GCSE and I was entered into it last minute when I joined set 1 and didn't revise for GCSE as i bet my teachers I could get 9's without revision lol. Didn't work out though only managed to do it in physics. Good luck anyways.
A C without even being taught it in class is impressive! O: I got a 9 in maths and an A in add maths (our teacher also managed the time really badly as half of our set one class was doing add maths and the other half wasn't, whilst in the other set one class everyone was doing add maths- we basically got the short end of the straw D: so I pretty much learnt everything in the last 4 days before the exams after all my GCSEs- not a smart move). Thank you for sharing your experience- I hope we both do well next year!
Thank you for sharing your experience! Did you find Further Maths took up more time than physics and chemistry added together?

Oh hell no. Maths and Further didn't take up as much time as physics and chemistry for me. It's just the nature of the subjects and how good you are at them that probably dictate how much time you will spend on them.
Reply 59
Original post by thekidwhogames
I self-taught both of them and found it easy and fun; when you know how to revise. I can send you links and resources; books, worksheets, papers, etc. Message me your email and I'll send it over - everything you will ever need for A level Maths and FM.

could you also email them to me mate, i'll message you my email.

Latest