The Student Room Group

Skip a year after GCSEs

Basically I wasn’t in the best place doing my GCSEs and only passed English literature and language, maths and music technology, but I applied to college to do Art, History and English. I moved to England 2 years ago, so I got no clue about how the education system works. I only applied to that one college, and because I don’t have the 6 GCSEs I needed, I can’t go there. I want to resit history and try again attending something else that needs less GCSEs or the ones I passed. So can I take a year off or what do I need to do? I was also thinking about getting an apprenticeship instead.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I wasn’t in the best place doing my GCSEs and only passed English literature and language, maths and music technology, but I applied to college to do Art, History and English. I moved to England 2 years ago, so I got no clue about how the education system works. I only applied to that one college, and because I don’t have the 6 GCSEs I needed, I can’t go there. I want to resit history and try again attending something else that needs less GCSEs or the ones I passed. So can I take a year off or what do I need to do? I was also thinking about getting an apprenticeship instead.

I took 2 years out after my gsces before going to college and for me it was the best decision I made, I got a job and it really helped with my confidence and people skills which helps more in real life than grades on a bit of paper, if you think a year out will be best for you I say go for it, get a job have some time away from education especially if you want to go for an apprenticeship it will really help boost your application because you will already have experience in a work environment, having 2 years out really helped me get out there and I ended up being able to go to a better college because I was more confident travelling further

Quick Reply

Latest