The Student Room Group

Worried about future

So I am taking a gap year after and doing a foundation year a Queen Mary for science. I achieved 3 Cs at a level and worried that these grades will affect me when applying for entry level jobs and grad schemes. How much is a level considered when applying to these schemes/jobs even if I get 2:1 or 1st.
What will matter most is your university grades. As you go further in your career, A levels matter less and less. So focus on doing great at uni and don't let the A level grades hold you back from applying to anything your interested in.
How much does it play as a factor when applying for jobs is what I’m worried about :frown:
I think most companies/hiring managers only care about university results after you graduate. They also will decide to hire you based on you - who you are and what you can offer - much more than A level grades. Focus on doing great at uni and don't let the past hold you back.
Original post by baconhatesbeef
So I am taking a gap year after and doing a foundation year a Queen Mary for science. I achieved 3 Cs at a level and worried that these grades will affect me when applying for entry level jobs and grad schemes. How much is a level considered when applying to these schemes/jobs even if I get 2:1 or 1st.

Will say that entry level jobs and grad schemes really focus on university grades, will only really focus on your college grades if you don't have a degree. Even then if you maximise your whole CV/Resume can work around this, think about what experiences you have. Have you got any voluntary work that is relevant, good grades show ability to study, research and manage time, if you can show this anyway then your A level grades become a thing they skip over :smile:
Original post by baconhatesbeef

As long as you got a GCSE grade "C" in English language and Maths, no one will care what you got pre-degree level (provided you get a reasonable grade of course).

As far as employment's concerned, it's typically what you've been up to in the last 2 years that will be of greatest interest to prospective employers. Therefore, once you start getting real work experience, even your degree classification won't matter. It'll just exist as a formality (e.g. certain jobs / roles require you to have a degree).

If you really want to secure a job when you've finished, then I'd suggest you consider a sandwich course (a 4 year version of a standard Batchelor degree, but you spend the 3rd year working in industry). I know several people who've done this and they quite often get offered a permanent position when they graduate. At the very least, that gives you a years worth of work experience "in the bag" when you apply for actual graduate jobs.

Original post by EAB11
What will matter most is your university grades. As you go further in your career, A levels matter less and less. So focus on doing great at uni and don't let the A level grades hold you back from applying to anything your interested in.

Exactly. it's in the same way no one at University cares what you got in your GCSE's.
Reply 6
I got ccd and a 3rd class in bachelors. Then a 2:1 in masters. Now doing a grad scheme at a top engineering company. I only mentioned grade of my masters in cv
Original post by Proxenus
I got ccd and a 3rd class in bachelors. Then a 2:1 in masters. Now doing a grad scheme at a top engineering company. I only mentioned grade of my masters in cv

which firm are you at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending