The Student Room Group

Imaginary Numbers

Given that Z=(a+i)^4 where a is real, find values for a such that
(i) Z is real
(ii) Z is wholly imaginary

Not sure how to start either of these off, any tips?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
Given that Z=(a+i)^4 where a is real, find values for a such that
(i) Z is real
(ii) Z is wholly imaginary

Not sure how to start either of these off, any tips?

Thanks

Start by expanding (a+i)^4. Have you tried this?
Original post by Notnek
Start by expanding (a+i)^4. Have you tried this?

I got a^4 + 4ia^3 -6a^2 -4ia +1 but don’t see what to do from here.
Reply 3
I got a^4 + 4ia^3 -6a^2 -4ia +1 but don’t see what to do from here.

Next you need to write the expanded zz so that it's in the form x+iyx+iy, in other words you need to separate the real and imaginary parts. This is a common technique in this topic.

So by separating the ii terms and factorising you have z=(a46a2+1)+(4a34a)iz = (a^4 - 6a^2 + 1) + (4a^3-4a)i

Now the real part and imaginary part are clearly shown. If zz is real, what can you say about the complex number above?
As Notnek stated earlier, upon expanding, you're looking to force a condition on it in the two parts. Writing it in form x+iy, to seperate real and imaginary parts.

Part i) Z being real, meaning a complex part of 0, given your expression above, and the condition given, how can you go about finding out.

Part ii) Z being wholly imaginary, means a real part of 0, again, another condition, given your real and imaginary parts, similarly to part i), can you see how to go around solving it?
Original post by Notnek
Next you need to write the expanded zz so that it's in the form xiyx iy, in other words you need to separate the real and imaginary parts. This is a common technique in this topic.

So by separating the ii terms and factorising you have z=(a46a21)(4a34a)iz = (a^4 - 6a^2 1) (4a^3-4a)i

Now the real part and imaginary part are clearly shown. If zz is real, what can you say about the complex number above?

Sorry but I really don’t know what to say. Is it to do with the last bracket? Does 4a^3 -4a=0 since i*0 would disregard that bracket so Z would be real? a=0,1,-1?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by thotproduct
As Notnek stated earlier, upon expanding, you're looking to force a condition on it in the two parts. Writing it in form x+iy, to seperate real and imaginary parts.

Part i) Z being real, meaning a complex part of 0, given your expression above, and the condition given, how can you go about finding out.

Part ii) Z being wholly imaginary, means a real part of 0, again, another condition, given your real and imaginary parts, similarly to part i), can you see how to go around solving it?

I’m not sure what you mean by “complex part of 0” and “real part of 0”. Can you explain what these mean please?
Reply 7
Sorry but I really don’t know what to say. Is it to do with the last bracket? Does 4a^3 -4a=0 since i*0 would disregard that bracket so Z would be real? a=0,1,-1?

Yes that’s correct. Now try the next part.
Original post by Notnek
Yes that’s correct. Now try the next part.

Would it be the same but this time the other bracket will equal zero so we are just left with the imaginary part? a^4 -6a^2 +1= 0 therefore using a^2=x we can solve like a quadratic. Using the formula I get a= 0.41... or 2.41....
Would it be the same but this time the other bracket will equal zero so we are just left with the imaginary part? a^4 -6a^2 +1= 0 therefore using a^2=x we can solve like a quadratic. Using the formula I get a= 0.41... or 2.41....

It doesnt factorise so you can just complete the square to get (a23)28=0(a^2-3)^2-8=0

Hence a2=3±22a^2 = 3 \pm 2\sqrt{2}. Now notice that 3±22>03 \pm 2\sqrt{2} > 0, so there will be 4 possibilites for aa.
Original post by RDKGames
It doesnt factorise so you can just complete the square to get (a23)28=0(a^2-3)^2-8=0

Hence a2=3±22a^2 = 3 \pm 2\sqrt{2}. Now notice that 3±22>03 \pm 2\sqrt{2} > 0, so there will be 4 possibilites for aa.

Not entirely sure what you mean but I got a=0.41... and a=2.41... by square rooting as normal but not sure how you get the other answers? Are they the same but -0.41... and -2.41... instead?
Not entirely sure what you mean but I got a=0.41... and a=2.41... by square rooting as normal but not sure how you get the other answers? Are they the same but -0.41... and -2.41... instead?

Yes.

If a2=3+22a^2 = 3+2\sqrt{2} then clearly a=±3+22±2.4142a = \pm \sqrt{3+2\sqrt{2}} \approx \pm 2.4142.

Likewise if a2=322a^2 = 3-2\sqrt{2}.
Original post by RDKGames
Yes.

If a2=3+22a^2 = 3+2\sqrt{2} then clearly a=±3+22±2.4142a = \pm \sqrt{3+2\sqrt{2}} \approx \pm 2.4142.

Likewise if a2=322a^2 = 3-2\sqrt{2}.

Ah yes that makes sense thanks!
Reply 13

Quick Reply

Latest