How will I work out these questions .

1. 5x (square root of 5) can be written in the form 5^n
Calculate the value of n .

2. a= 2^x b = 2^y
Express in terms of a and b
A) 2^x+y
B) 2^2x
C) 2(^x+2y)

You'll need to remember some basic rules. The square root is the same as to the power of a half. So for 1, n is 1/2.
2a) the answer is a*b. because you add the powers when you multiply the same bases together
2b) (2^x)^2 . because you would multipy 2 and x together when the whole thing is raised by another power.
2c) combining both part a and b knowledge.
it would be (2^y)^2 * 2^x
Original post by Querene
x

Just to rephrase what @luckybillion said (so I don't steal the credit lol),

Part 1

Understand this rule that (ka)bkba \displaystyle (\sqrt[a]{k})^{b} \equiv k^{\frac{b}{a}}

Easy way to remember this is to remember that ka=k1a\displaystyle \sqrt[a]{k} = k^{\frac{1}{a}} and then the outside power so (k1a)b \displaystyle (k^{\frac{1}{a}})^{b} and this brings you back to kba\displaystyle k^{\frac{b}{a}} when you expand the brackets!

Part 2

Given that a=2xa = 2^{x} and b=2yb = 2^{y}

a) Firstly, you should've put the x+y into brackets because I interpreted 2^x+y as (2^x)+y and not 2^(x+y) which are both different.

Anyway, the rule you use to combine the powers given the bases are the same is multiplying both aa and bb

i.e. a×b=2x×2y=2x+ya \times b = 2^{x} \times 2^{y} = 2^{x+y}

So a general rule is na×nb=na+bn^{a} \times n^{b} = n^{a+b}

b) The general rule here is that (na)k=na×k=nak(n^{a})^{k} = n^{a \times k} = n^{ak}

So in your case, 22x=(2x)2=a22^{2x} = (2^{x})^{2} = a^{2}

c) So you need to obtain 2x+2y2^{x+2y}

Use the previous two rules you used.

We know that 2x=a2^x = a and 22y=b22^{2y} = b^{2}

Therefore combining the powers together (i.e. multiply) then you get 2x×22y=a×b2=ab2=2x+2y2^{x} \times 2^{2y} = a \times b^{2} = ab^{2} = 2^{x+2y}
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ManLike007
Just to rephrase what @luckybillion said (so I don't steal the credit lol),

Part 1

Understand this rule that (ka)bkba \displaystyle (\sqrt[a]{k})^{b} \equiv k^{\frac{b}{a}}

Easy way to remember this is to remember that ka=k1a\displaystyle \sqrt[a]{k} = k^{\frac{1}{a}} and then the outside power so (k1a)b \displaystyle (k^{\frac{1}{a}})^{b} and this brings you back to kba\displaystyle k^{\frac{b}{a}} when you expand the brackets!

Part 2

Given that a=2xa = 2^{x} and b=2yb = 2^{y}

a) Firstly, you should've put the x+y into brackets because I interpreted 2^x+y as (2^x)+y and not 2^(x+y) which are both different.

Anyway, the rule you use to combine the powers given the bases are the same is multiplying both aa and bb

i.e. a×b=2x×2y=2x+ya \times b = 2^{x} \times 2^{y} = 2^{x+y}

So a general rule is na×nb=na+bn^{a} \times n^{b} = n^{a+b}

b) The general rule here is that (na)k=na×k=nak(n^{a})^{k} = n^{a \times k} = n^{ak}

So in your case, 22x=(2x)2=a22^{2x} = (2^{x})^{2} = a^{2}

c) So you need to obtain 2x+2y2^{x+2y}

Use the previous two rules you used.

We know that 2x=a2^x = a and 22y=b22^{2y} = b^{2}

Therefore combining the powers together (i.e. multiply) then you get 2x×22y=a×b2=ab2=2x+2y2^{x} \times 2^{2y} = a \times b^{2} = ab^{2} = 2^{x+2y}

Thanks a lot !
Reply 4
Original post by luckybillion
You'll need to remember some basic rules. The square root is the same as to the power of a half. So for 1, n is 1/2.
2a) the answer is a*b. because you add the powers when you multiply the same bases together
2b) (2^x)^2 . because you would multipy 2 and x together when the whole thing is raised by another power.
2c) combining both part a and b knowledge.
it would be (2^y)^2 * 2^x

Thanks a lot !

Quick Reply

Latest