The Student Room Group

Moments of a force (Confusion over a simple thing..) PLEASE HELP!!

i have a question with two parts,
asking about what can be said about
a. the forces
and b. the moments acting on an object in equilibrium.
I thought I had the definition of a moment down but now i am confused.
my understanding was that a moment of a force was the product of the force applied and the perpendicular distance from the line of action, to the pivot, but i'm not really sure how to answer this question,
about what can be said on "the moments acting on" an object. should i just say that they are balanced and therefore there would be no movement? i am quite confused.
i researched around a little bit but couldn't really find anything.
any responses/help are much appreciated, thanks!
I think you'd just say that the moments are equal and acting in opposite directions. How many marks is it?
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I think you'd just say that the moments are equal and acting in opposite directions. How many marks is it?

The question sheet doesn't have marks on it, and I value the understandng of the topic over getting 1-2 marks anyway, thank you!
Original post by mathsatheart249
The question sheet doesn't have marks on it, and I value the understandng of the topic over getting 1-2 marks anyway, thank you!

What is it that you dont understand? I thought you just didn't know how to answer the question?
Yeah, and also just wanted to reinforce I had my definition of a "moment" down. Thank you for what you gave,
I was just trying to say it wasn't so much about how detailed my answer needed to be but moreso that it was factually correct

Quick Reply

Latest