The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

The Official 2019 St Andrews Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Course: Computer Science and Mathematics
Universities: Cambridge, Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial
Grades: 1.0 with 14-15 points in relevant subjects in the German Abitur

Not too sure about the CS part of the course but the university and the maths part seem pretty cool :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Heya, eu applicant here from Romania

Course: Computer Science and Philosophy
Universities: Oxford, Southampton, Warwick, Leeds ( + applying in the Netherlands at TU Delft)
Higher grades: 9.5/10/10 (sort of an A*A*A* equivalent) in Literature/Maths/Physics
Extracurriculars: some coding bootcamps, doing some philosophy at the university (gonna have a yearly seminar there) and a lot of further reading

Applied on 25/09/2018, already got my backup offer from Leeds
(edited 5 years ago)
Course: Maths (MMath)
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Warwick and Nottingham
A level grades: Predicted A*A*A* (A) - Maths, Further, Physics (Chem)
GCSE grades: 10A* 1A (equiv.)
Extracurriculars: Olympiad Maths n stuff.
Reply 23
Course: Physics
Universities: Oxford, Manchester, QUB, Edinburgh
A level / IB / Higher grades: Predicted A*A*A*AA
GCSE grades: 6 A*s, 2 As, 2 Bs
Extracurriculars: half marathon and marahon running, yoga, bullet journaling. That's kinda it.
Course: Bsc Psychology
Universities: Swansea, Cambridge, Birmingham, undecided slot
A level / IB / Higher grades: A* Psychology, A* English Lit, A Sociology, November submissions EPQ I haven't been given a prediction for yet but hopefully A*/A
GCSE grades: 99A*ABBBB4
Extracurriculars: 6 months hospital volunteering, ongoing research volunteering, 2 year post on a youth advisory board, books/lectures, upcoming 12 weeks CBT volunteering and GCSE Psychology tutoring etc etc
Social Anthropology and Geography

Oxford, Manchester, LSE, SOAS

I took American exams (AP, SAT, etc) my scores were 5544444433, 800, 800, 760, 730, 590, 680, 610 (mostly social sciences and history)

Extracurriculars: Model UN, student government, intern for Planned Parenthood, work for YDSA and DSA, over 100hrs community service, Boy Scouts
- Maths and Philosophy
- 8 7 6 4A's 5A*'s
- Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy and EPQ all A*
- Oxford, Durham, st Andrews, Bristol and Sheffield
- Music stuff - grade 8 clarinet and a load of orchestra stuff and tutoring
Course: MA Philosophy and French
Universities: Oxford, St Andrews, Southampton, Exeter, Edinburgh
A level / IB / Higher grades: 4As at AS (I'm a Northern Irish student), predicted A*A*A* at A-level (Maths, Physics, French)
GCSE grades: 7A*s, 2As
Extracurriculars: I like to read, play badminton, and listen to music but I have a part time job as a waiter so that takes up quite a lot of my time!
Course: Social anthropology
Universities: Newcastle, UCL and Northumbria
A level/ IB / Higher grades: predicted AAB for business, ICT and history
GCSEs: 2A* 3A 6B 1C
Extracurriculars: Had a part time job until recently so didn’t time but gonna try and be more productive this year and start a hobby
Course: English and Modern History
Universities: Oxford, Durham, Warwick and Leeds
Grades: (international student :smile:) AP 55554 Euro&American History, English Lit&Lang, Art History and 780 on SAT 2 Literature
Extracurriculars: Cello and student newspaper
Course: Philosophy and Theological Studies
Other Universities: Oxford, Durham, Kent
A level / IB / Higher grades: D*D* in Music (year early), predicted A* in RS, A in English Language, predicted A in EPQ
GCSE grades: 1 9, 2 8s, 1 A*, 4 As, 1 C
Extracurriculars: Debate club, Bible study group, volunteer with Oxfam, going to Africa to do humanitarian and conservation work, going to Germany to study religious persecution in Nazi Germany, writing a book on 'Happiness', done further reading also (Plato, John Calvin, Isaiah Berlin)

DEFERRED ENTRY
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey, everybody! I've been dreaming of St Andrews for a long time now, but I'm quite nervous since my chosen course is very competitive to enter. Any opinions?

Course: International Relations and Economics
Universities: St Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL, King's, Sheffield, Warwick (still choosing)
A level / IB / Higher grades: got a 41 in the IB (HL: English, Port, German | SL: Biology, Maths, History)
Extracurriculars: MUN club co-founder, various volunteer projects, debate, co-founder of a feminist activist group at my school
Has anyone had any offers from St Andrews for History?
Original post by Bubbergee

Hiya, from what I've read St Andrews doesn't start giving out offers till January, for UCAS students at least might be different for international applicants.
Original post by bernadette2000
Course: Social anthropology
Universities: Newcastle, UCL and Northumbria
A level/ IB / Higher grades: predicted AAB for business, ICT and history
GCSEs: 2A* 3A 6B 1C
Extracurriculars: Had a part time job until recently so didn’t time but gonna try and be more productive this year and start a hobby

Original post by Patrick J-O'B
Social Anthropology and Geography

Oxford, Manchester, LSE, SOAS

I took American exams (AP, SAT, etc) my scores were 5544444433, 800, 800, 760, 730, 590, 680, 610 (mostly social sciences and history)

Extracurriculars: Model UN, student government, intern for Planned Parenthood, work for YDSA and DSA, over 100hrs community service, Boy Scouts

If you both have any questions about first year social anthropology, I can answer if possible. Taking social anthropology as a module this year. :yep:
Original post by Bubbergee

For international applicants, decisions are made on a rolling basis.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/apply/ug/after/

so yes most offers are given after January 15th but some offers may trickle in for RUK/Internationals around November/December :yep:
Original post by yerselfesteem
Course: Computer Science (perhaps cs and mathematics, depending on what i think after the open day)
Other Universities: Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Durham
A level / IB / Higher grades: A* in maths (year early), predicted A*A* in F. maths and physics
GCSE grades: 2 9s 1 8 5A*s 3 As
Extracurriculars: very little, although i've done quite a lot of further reading

Hey there, i've also got just one or two (unrelated) extra-curriculars, are you worried at all that you won't be accepted. I am curious because I see everyone else has many ECs and I don't. I'm very much like you in that I enjoy the academic side of things but have not been involved much outside of that. I want to do History with Psychology after a gap year. But, I do things like go to the gym regularly and play school basketball, however, have not got many relevant ECs.

Relevant subjects: Adv High History, High English (last year),High Psychology, High Modern studies AAAB

16YO Final HS year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CheeseStudy123
Hey there, i've also got just one or two (unrelated) extra-curriculars, are you worried at all that you won't be accepted. I am curious because I see everyone else has many ECs and I don't. I'm very much like you in that I enjoy the academic side of things but have not been involved much outside of that. I want to do History with Psychology after a gap year. But, I do things like go to the gym regularly and play school basketball, however, have not got many relevant ECs.

Relevant subjects: Adv High History, High English (last year),High Psychology, High Modern studies AAAB

16YO Final HS year.

st andrews (and most other british unis) won't care about your ECs... but will care about those ECs relevant to your degree subject in the context of a good personal statement. i can only think of one uni (kings college london) which cares about ECs in general but is easy to get into for most subjects
Original post by CollectiveSoul
st andrews (and most other british unis) won't care about your ECs... but will care about those ECs relevant to your degree subject in the context of a good personal statement. i can only think of one uni (kings college london) which cares about ECs in general but is easy to get into for most subjects

Thank you, so generally speaking in the context of a good personal statement it matters but not to the extent where it's a deciding factor if another personal statement is good but lacks ECs. That made sense thanks.
Original post by CheeseStudy123
Thank you, so generally speaking in the context of a good personal statement it matters but not to the extent where it's a deciding factor if another personal statement is good but lacks ECs. That made sense thanks.

I wouldn't say it like that; wider reading/projects that's relevant to your subject also count as ECs. I wouldn't even say that it matters in the context of having a good personal statement; as long as you show engagement in your chosen subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending