The Student Room Group

Complex numbers help

1. A) write down the modules and argument of the complex number -64
I've done that fairly easy (64, pi)
B) hence solve the equation z^4 = -64, giving your answers in the form r (cos x + i sin x) where r > 0 and -pi < x <(or equal to) pi.
I got root 8 (cos pi/4 + i sin pi/4)
C) express each of these four roots in the form a + bi and show, with the aid of a diagram that the points in the complex plane which represent them form the vertices of a square

Really stuck with c
Original post by psycholeo
B) hence solve the equation z^4 = -64, giving your answers in the form r (cos x + i sin x) where r > 0 and -pi < x <(or equal to) pi.
C) express each of these four roots in the form a + bi and show, with the aid of a diagram that the points in the complex plane which represent them form the vertices of a square

Really stuck with c

Where are your other 3 roots from part (B) ??

That's a 4th order polynomial, so it should have 4 roots.

Really stuck with c

You should get more answers for B) you have to let
z^4 = r(cos(theta+2kpi)+isin(theta+2kpi)) then use de moivres theorem and vary k for different answers in the range.

For C try to draw in on an argand diagram
Reply 3
How can you get more answers for b though:

Z^4 = 64(cos pi + I sin pi)
Z = (64(cos pi + I sin pi))^0.25
= root 8 (cos pi/4 + I sin pi/4)
I can see why it could be - always of that but that's only 2 solutions
How can you get more answers for b though:

Z^4 = 64(cos pi + I sin pi)
Z = (64(cos pi + I sin pi))^0.25
= root 8 (cos pi/4 + I sin pi/4)
I can see why it could be - always of that but that's only 2 solutions

Because if you have a complex number z4z^4, you can always add on an argument of 2π2\pi and land on the exact same complex number again.

Hence z4=64[cos(π+2πk)+isin(π+2πk)]z^4 = 64[\cos(\pi + 2\pi k) + i \sin (\pi + 2\pi k)] and here k=2,1,0,1k = -2, -1, 0, 1 for all the roots you need in the required region.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
So z = root 8(cos (pi/4 + kpi/2) + i sin (pi/4 + kpi/2))?
Reply 6
And how would you write b?
Reply 7
image.jpg
And how would you write b?

Not take the 4th root of both equations.

Then you got all your 4 roots.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
But I don't get this. Adding 2 pi gets you into the same complex number. Can you take a picture of how you'd lay it out
But I don't get this. Adding 2 pi gets you into the same complex number. Can you take a picture of how you'd lay it out

Isn't this technique supposed to be explained in your textbook or something?

z4=64[cos(π+2πk)+isin(π+2πk)]    z=8[cos(π4+kπ2)+isin(π4+kπ2)]z^4 = 64[\cos(\pi + 2\pi k) + i \sin (\pi + 2\pi k)] \implies z = \sqrt{8}[\cos(\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{k\pi}{2}) + i \sin(\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{k\pi}{2})].

This is true for any kZk \in \mathbb{Z} but it is sufficient to pick any four kk in a row to obtain all the distinct roots. In order to keep the arguments between π<θ<π- \pi < \theta < \pi we need to pick k=2,1,0,1k = -2, -1, 0, 1.

So,
Unparseable latex formula:

$\begin{align*} k = -2: \quad & z = \sqrt{8}[\cos(-\frac{3\pi}{4}) + i \sin(-\frac{3\pi}{4})] \\ k = -1: \quad & z = \sqrt{8}[\cos(-\frac{\pi}{4}) + i \sin(-\frac{\pi}{4})] \\ k = 0: \quad & z = \ldots \\ k = 1: \quad & z = \ldots \end{align*}$

Those are the four roots.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by RDKGames
Isn't this technique supposed to be explained in your textbook or something?

z4=64[cos(π+2πk)+isin(π+2πk)]    z=8[cos(π4+kπ2)+isin(π4+kπ2)]z^4 = 64[\cos(\pi + 2\pi k) + i \sin (\pi + 2\pi k)] \implies z = \sqrt{8}[\cos(\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{k\pi}{2}) + i \sin(\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{k\pi}{2})].

This is true for any kZk \in \mathbb{Z} but it is sufficient to pick any four kk in a row to obtain all the distinct roots. In order to keep the arguments between π<θ<π- \pi < \theta < \pi we need to pick k=2,1,0,1k = -2, -1, 0, 1.

So,
Unparseable latex formula:

$\begin{align*} k = -2: \quad & z = \sqrt{8}[\cos(-\frac{3\pi}{4}) + i \sin(-\frac{3\pi}{4})] \\ k = -1: \quad & z = \sqrt{8}[\cos(-\frac{\pi}{4}) + i \sin(-\frac{\pi}{4})] \\ k = 0: \quad & z = \ldots \\ k = 1: \quad & z = \ldots \end{align*}$

Those are the four roots.

Why do we choose those particular k values?
Why do we choose those particular k values?

I explained it.

Original post by RDKGames
In order to keep the arguments between π<θπ- \pi < \theta \leq \pi we need to pick k=2,1,0,1k = -2, -1, 0, 1.

The question clearly asks for this region.
Im the mathematician around these ends...

<3
Reply 14
We don't have a textbook they haven't published it
Reply 15
Okay, so the next example is: z^3 = (1 + I) (root 3 - i). Do the normal procedure and you get this in the form z = 6th root of 8 (cos (pi/36 + 2kpi/3)...) in the region -pi < theta < pi
Reply 16
Forgot to say that has 4 solutions in that region. So how is that possible?
Reply 17
Oh wait no it doesn't nevermind
Okay, so the next example is: z^3 = (1 + I) (root 3 - i). Do the normal procedure and you get this in the form z = 6th root of 8 (cos (pi/36 + 2kpi/3)...) in the region -pi < theta < pi

Forgot to say that has 4 solutions in that region. So how is that possible?

Oh wait no it doesn't nevermind

It's a cubic, so indeed only 3 roots in the region. Do you need help with it?

Quick Reply

Latest