The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Spanish at Manchester?

Hi,
I'm thinking of applying to study Spanish and Arabic at Manchester. I really like the course and the place itself but I can't help but notice that Manchester seems to be quite far down on the legue tables compared to other universities that also offer this course.
Does anybody study either of these subjects at Manchester and if so what do you think of them?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by fay9100
Hi,
I'm thinking of applying to study Spanish and Arabic at Manchester. I really like the course and the place itself but I can't help but notice that Manchester seems to be quite far down on the legue tables compared to other universities that also offer this course.
Does anybody study either of these subjects at Manchester and if so what do you think of them?

I'm in my first year doing Spanish at Manchester and it seems alright so far. The teachers are nice and the course in general seems very well organized but the only thing that bugs me is the cotact hours. For Spanish I have 6 hours a week and only 3 of these are focused on the language which just isn't enough imo and I don't really feel like I've learnt much language wise nearly 4 weeks in.

If you're doing Spanish post A-level you'll have to do two compulsory cultural modules which you don't get a choice on. I personally don't like them as they seem to be too focused on medieval history whereas I prefer the more modern stuff but you may enjoy them.
Reply 3
Original post by lucieol
I'm in my first year doing Spanish at Manchester and it seems alright so far. The teachers are nice and the course in general seems very well organized but the only thing that bugs me is the cotact hours. For Spanish I have 6 hours a week and only 3 of these are focused on the language which just isn't enough imo and I don't really feel like I've learnt much language wise nearly 4 weeks in.

If you're doing Spanish post A-level you'll have to do two compulsory cultural modules which you don't get a choice on. I personally don't like them as they seem to be too focused on medieval history whereas I prefer the more modern stuff but you may enjoy them.

Thank you so much ! That’s really helpful. Are the teachers and lecturers good? Do you feel like you are being well supported with your studies? Do you feel like you are learning much (even if not language... what about cultural modules?)
Also when you say 6 hours, is that all the contact time you get for everything including Spanish language? It doesn’t seem like very much!
Thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending